Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
loco said:
Your review sucks, Rip.
I'm still on the first listening.

The cd is called mezmerize.

Great Harmonics, the lyrics are political as ever. The drumming is amazing, my favorite track so far is track 8 called: Question!. The sound is very well balanced.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I'm going to read between the lines and say that it must suck. Cause that's typical Sytem of The Down style right? IMO anyway.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
based on the few songs I've heard. yuck.

I like their first album and some of their later songs. but the stuff I'm hearing off the new album blows, IMO.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
ncrider said:
I'm going to read between the lines and say that it must suck. Cause that's typical Sytem of The Down style right? IMO anyway.
Mezmerize is better than Toxicity and Steal This Album, but still has nothing on the self titled album. But yeah something is missing it seems like, While I think it's better, and he harmonics are good, the songs do sound alike.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
ncrider said:
Your opinion is about as good to me as RIP's review ;)

Looks like I'm buying a cd today, thanks for the heads up RIP!

J

JRB

I kind of like them, but don't own any. May look into them. Thanks, even if the review sucks.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
basicly, if they are being played on the pop station, it's crap.

everybody party, gunna have a real good time. horrible. horrible. horrible.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
pnj said:
basicly, if they are being played on the pop station, it's crap.

everybody party, gunna have a real good time. horrible. horrible. horrible.
That's the only song like that though. I think it lacks the edgyness that the first cd had.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm not a fan, obviously they are great musicians but it seems they are just doing technically difficult music for the sake of it. The fact that something is difficult to play doesn't make it good :p

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Echo said:
I'm not a fan, obviously they are great musicians but it seems they are just doing technically difficult music for the sake of it. The fact that something is difficult to play doesn't make it good :p
difficult is a realitive term. they don't struggle to play the songs so I wouldn't say they are difficult, for them.

I saw them before their first CD came out. the singer smoked weed on stage during the set with some of the guys in the front row. haha.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
pnj said:
difficult is a realitive term. they don't struggle to play the songs so I wouldn't say they are difficult, for them.

I saw them before their first CD came out. the singer smoked weed on stage during the set with some of the guys in the front row. haha.
I think you kind of missed the point.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Echo said:
As a (mostly former) Rush fan I am offended. As are all the other prog rockers here. :) :blah:

I love Toxicity. Steal this Album was good but not as good IMO, and although I've only heard a few tracks from the new one, I think the trend is in the same direction - similar formula but it's not so fresh so there are more gimmicks.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Echo said:
Ha! I was going to buy it because I heard that song on the radio and I liked the technicality of it. I like technical music, like The Mars Volta and Tool. Great stuff.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get this cd!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dhtahoe said:
I brought a pogo stick to show her a trick... she had sooo many friends. Pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo. I want to know the hidden meaning of that SOAD song.

I just like saying "POGO! POGO! POGO!" :p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
the song they are playing on the radio from the new System of a Down CD is horrible IMO.

Rip - if you are looking for a good new listen - check into Porcupine Tree's new CD entitled Deadwing - I guarantee it won't disappoint.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Wait just a dang minute now. I got nothing against prog rock. Rush, Tool, etc are awesome. They write (or wrote) songs that are musically, lyrically, and technically amazing. My opinion is that System of a Down does not compare. All they do is play lots of notes really fast. A computer could do what they do.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
Wait just a dang minute now. I got nothing against prog rock. Rush, Tool, etc are awesome. They write (or wrote) songs that are musically, lyrically, and technically amazing. My opinion is that System of a Down does not compare. All they do is play lots of notes really fast. A computer could do what they do.

I agree with you Echo - their music has no flow like some of the classic prog rock or melodic rock bands have in their music.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Their first cd was their best, the rest of the crap and I stress the word crap suxors. Just my opinion. But if you dig it thats cool, it's just not my thing.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Has this one grown on anyone? Better or worse as you get into it??

Im waiting for someone i know to buy it so i can listen to it good before i decide to buy it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
oly said:
Im waiting for someone i know to buy it so i can listen to it good before i decide to buy it.
good move...

I bought it last night - listen to it twice now and I don't like it that much.
Loved Toxicity....
Steal this album was okay....
This one is - meh.. maybe one of two good songs, but that's it. Might have to listen to it a bit more?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm on board for liking it.
Someone has to take today's boring prototypical metal sound of screams and heavy fast riffs and combine it with songs that distance themselves with being typecast as being this "serious" extreme band. And actually provide an intricate sound with a little conscious thought.
People who give up on this album too quickly are cheating themselves a tad.