Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Some of the rocks and roots in my video are larger than 160 mm. So yes, they are big enough to use all of the travel available. However, if you set the bike up to do so, it would plunge thru the travel, pack down and be bad. The video shows that while the bumps are absorbed enough to maintain traction, tire contact and rider stability, it does not blow thru the travel.
What is the rear sag and overal shock setup for the rock section of the video?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
What is the rear sag and overal shock setup for the rock section of the video?
30% at 165 psi. I weigh 185 lb. This is the same setup as earlier in the video when I'm bouncing up and down on the bike and the same setup I run everywhere. Nothing trick going on with the setup or video.

lolWes

Chimp
Aug 24, 2011
keep believing math is nature........

If bike's are so simple, why, after decades and billions of dollars with hoards of engineers, has the problem of combining pedaling efficiency with bump performance, never really been solved? Not for lack of engineers , math or money
Because obviously they have yet to account for Nibiru in their equations. Seriously why has nobody yet thought of the effects of a large doomsday planet entering the earths path through our galaxy on small bump compliance and pedaling efficiency.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Ok, so forget about my quote and please be so good and help me understand the Missing Link.
Flo, I have already been heavily criticised here for refusing to post detailed dimensional info of my linkage. My math rant was aimed at those who has drawn absolute conclusions based on a badly scaled photo. My suggestion at the time, which I will also make to you, is to do a free body diagram of some of the links.

Forget about antisquat and leverage ratios, just for a moment. Make an assumption as to pedaling force. From there, you can work it all out thru the chain, wheel, chainstay and into the Missing Link itself. You can then see how the horizontal forces on the chainstay effect the link and how it can modify the force on the shock to either help compress or extend. There's a lot more going on, but if you really want to understand it, that's a good place to start.

When I made this suggestion, it was widely scoffed at, but if you are a student, surely your physics or dynamics professor would agree that free body diagrams are the REAL language of physics. At least for mechanical systems.

We couldn't even get out of class without doing free body diagrams of everything

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
hey all, I'm at Eurobike now, so I'll have to leave the party for awhile. Have fun and I'll catch up next week some time.

I'll leave you with this thought about math and engineering: My biggest dissapointment whilst earning my degree, was the factor of safety. Learn all the math, do all the calculations and then what? Mu;tiply it by you factor of safety. Sometimes 2 or 3!!! WTF! We can't do any better than that? No, I guess not, because engineered component fail everyday. From being poorly designed. By professional engineers. Using a factor of safety of 2.

That's why I liked F1. Safety factor? Do your math and make it 20% lighter. And you better be good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If bike's are so simple, why, after decades and billions of dollars with hoards of engineers, has the problem of combining pedaling efficiency with bump performance, never really been solved? Not for lack of engineers , math or money
It's good to see someone with the guts to design a bike sans math and engineering. I assume it is the result of some hallucinogenic vision, perhaps a helmet less crash.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
It's good to see someone with the guts to design a bike sans math and engineering. I assume it is the result of some hallucinogenic vision, perhaps a helmet less crash.
Oh ya westy. Try those free body diagrams without math or engineering. I use math (and engineering), I'm just very aware that both are flawed, limited tools. and nature is most assuredly NOT math. That it the worst possible form of engineering arrogance. Nature will snuff all your math in a heartbeat.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Forget about antisquat and leverage ratios, just for a moment. Make an assumption as to pedaling force. From there, you can work it all out thru the chain, wheel, chainstay and into the Missing Link itself. You can then see how the horizontal forces on the chainstay effect the link and how it can modify the force on the shock to either help compress or extend. There's a lot more going on, but if you really want to understand it, that's a good place to start.
This I will do. When I find some time...

When I made this suggestion, it was widely scoffed at, but if you are a student, surely your physics or dynamics professor would agree that free body diagrams are the REAL language of physics. At least for mechanical systems.
Agreed, to a certain extent. But don't you think that Linkage is doing exactly that, only in a graphical interface kind of way? Unfortunately my uni times are long gone.

We couldn't even get out of class without doing free body diagrams of everything
Me neither and my mechanics prof approved of students showing him the right way to solve problems. So you would pass written parts of exams by "only" describing in a detailed way or drawing good sketches of how the solution could be attained. Maths was trivial stuff for him :brow:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'll leave you with this thought about math and engineering: My biggest dissapointment whilst earning my degree, was the factor of safety. Learn all the math, do all the calculations and then what? Mu;tiply it by you factor of safety. Sometimes 2 or 3!!! WTF! We can't do any better than that? No, I guess not, because engineered component fail everyday. From being poorly designed. By professional engineers. Using a factor of safety of 2.
Sorry but this is bullshit!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

1. Not decades. Seriously you were in the industry more than a decade ago so you should know there was almost no engineering and proper R&D done back then. Only guesswork.
2. Billions of dolars in the mountain bike industry spent on a technology only used in a niche part of a niche sport? LOL. Claiming there is no lack in money or engineers in the bike industry makes me think you know less about it than an average poster here. The number of people who know what they are doing in the bike industry susp wise is probably very similar to the number of Mexicans who vote for Trump (Though it is getting bettter)
3. Most engineers are quite happy with the current suspension consensus of pedaling and bump performance. So to most of us the problem is kinda solved.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
1. Not decades. Seriously you were in the industry more than a decade ago so you should know there was almost no engineering and proper R&D done back then. Only guesswork.
2. Billions of dolars in the mountain bike industry spent on a technology only used in a niche part of a niche sport? LOL. Claiming there is no lack in money or engineers in the bike industry makes me think you know less about it than an average poster here. The number of people who know what they are doing in the bike industry susp wise is probably very similar to the number of Mexicans who vote for Trump (Though it is getting bettter)
3. Most engineers are quite happy with the current suspension consensus of pedaling and bump performance. So to most of us the problem is kinda solved.

I don't know about that, my bike sucks when I run 60 psi in both the shock and tires. Clearly nature has it out for me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
True story: I have two fancy trumpets made down in Portland by a grown up hippie named Dave Monette. The mouthpieces all have a STC designation on them: STC1 for the lightest, STC3 for heaviest, etc.

The rumor has it that STC stands for "Sheldon the Cat", as in he got the inspiration for the design from his cat, +/- drugs.

All I know is I like how his trumpets and mouthpieces play. For bikes, though, FTS: math, please.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
True story: I have two fancy trumpets made down in Portland by a grown up hippie named Dave Monette. The mouthpieces all have a STC designation on them: STC1 for the lightest, STC3 for heaviest, etc.

The rumor has it that STC stands for "Sheldon the Cat", as in he got the inspiration for the design from his cat, +/- drugs.

All I know is I like how his trumpets and mouthpieces play. For bikes, though, FTS: math, please.
I hear SpaceX uses pigeons and moss to design rocket engines.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't know about that, my bike sucks when I run 60 psi in both the shock and tires. Clearly nature has it out for me.
Thankfully you can get back at it by writing a country song about your pickup track.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I don't know what that was all about, but I'll tell you this, don't mess with Texas.

Aye

Chimp
Nov 27, 2016
I rode this a couple of weeks ago with Brian and rode it along the lines of dirt bike. Throw it into corners, try and maintain corner speed and squirting out. This bike rails corners and then when it comes to stamping on the pedals on the exits, I didn’t feel the usual softened bob on back end of the bike on every downward pedal stroke. On the straighter level sections, I would speed up and literally feel the rear suspension firm up. It was like there was a hidden pump somewhere, which sensed when you pushed down on the pedals and would add some air to the shock and it would extend! The same was true when it came to climbing, the rear end would harden up, the shock would extend and you could feel the bike go forward and not bob and go forward. The bike has a neutral feeling, it rails corners with confidence and did not feeling top heavy. Also it wouldn’t get out of shape when hitting roots in corners at speed. Normally I would expect a bike to feel “skittery” in situations like that, but this bike felt planted, both front and rear. This one of the best f*cking bikes I have ever ridden. It’s in the “one bike for pretty much everything” category. If is worth a ride/look.