Quantcast

New Thin Flat Pedals from the Bro's

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Bushings on the inner axle, bearings on the outer.

lance canfield said:
There are alot of sick pedals coming out lately. Exciting to see it, pedals have been the same for a long time with not much innovation.

There alot of things that we though about when designing these pedals. We really wanted a ultra thin pedal for a few reasons. Having better ground clearance and lowering your body weight on the bike are huge. Being so close to the center of the spindle allows you to push over the top and around the bottom without being able to slip the pedal as easy. You feel planted, nearly imposible to roll the pedal. Being so thin makes it easy to build light too.

We wanted it strong so we used a full length chromoly spindle. You don't feel the spindle under your shoe and I ride 510! We elliminated the conventional pedal wrench flats so the pedal body could get wider without moving the pedal out more. Those two things puts the bearings far to the outside so your foot "cradles" into the pedal. The bumps from the bearings are there and you can feel them, kinda but I kinda like it. I feel like I know better where my pedal is under my foot and it's like I have something to push against on the outside edge. Feels like concave, from side to side.

The pins are 3mm, a little smaller diameter than most at 4mm. They look extra long because there so thin. There lighter and dig into your shoe better. Shorter pins or even no pins are an option with the file tread around the edges.

The Crampon has a teflon lined, steel backed DU bushing on the inside (toward the crank) and twin sealed cartridge bearings on the outside with a locknut and sealed cap. The DU provides great support for the spindle and has the longest life for bushings (same as a crank bearing in your cars motor). The sealed bearings on the outside keeps the pedal spinning with no drag. We wanted to use larger sealed bearings on the outside instead of the smaller size like the Point One pedals because we felt like the smaller bearings would blow too quickly. The locknut secures the sealed bearings and the cap seals the dirt out. This is a bearing system that the Kona Wah Wah and the Diety pedals use. Tried and true, proven solid setup.

The best thing is it's really hard to hit the pedal. You snag pedals when you hit the front edge, where it can grab the pedal. The top of the file tread across the leading edge is 6mm thick. That makes it really tough to snag the pedal on anything. The bump where the bearings sit are 17mm but you'll skim off anything you hit because it's not a square edge. They deflect well on side hits too because of the tapered shape. No matter how you look at it, if you snag a pedal it's going to hurt but if you skim off of it, it was just a close call.

That's just a bit of what we where thinking and why we built it that way.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm actually surprised that they don't make different colors to match their linkage kits for their bikes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm actually surprised that they don't make different colors to match their linkage kits for their bikes.
Where did you find information that they're not? I have no idea if they are or not, but it sounds like people are pretty convinced they're not.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Eh, i guess i just assumed since they were just showing pictures of black pedals. I guess i'm just too lazy to go over to Chris' house to check them out. Then again, i don't really care all that much. I just think it's really cool that they're starting to take off with a bunch of their products now.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i contacted chris about them yesterday. they said they are one month out just in case anyone cares.

im going to pick up two or three pair and see how they go. they look awesome in person.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
The pedals on Lance's bike at the last FR cup.

I'd like to give them a try, doubt I'll ever see them around my area though.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
The pedals on Lance's bike at the last FR cup.

I'd like to give them a try, doubt I'll ever see them around my area though.
Don't you live in OR? Thats not very remote. As soon as production is done, you'll see a bunch of these. If not, call me and I'll get you on them.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Don't you live in OR? Thats not very remote. As soon as production is done, you'll see a bunch of these. If not, call me and I'll get you on them.
I do live in OR, I just don't get on many bike trips. I figured you guys were up at the FR cup because it was nationals. Anyhoo, I will definitely be giving you a call once they start becoming available. Still waiting on the new website to open up...

May 27, 2009
yeah i agree. A pin that is that long and such a small diameter would be trouble in terms of bending and then if you bent both sides you would be screwed (no pun intended) :)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
to be honest, after looking at the new pics of it on the bike, that bulge doesn't look that tall at all. since i am already on a set of deitys which have the same internals, the bulge is probably around the same size. would love to try a pair.

that being said, i am sure if they got all anal and cold worked the holes that the bearings and bushings sit in, i bet they could make that bulge even smaller.

and about the smaller 3mm pins, i disagree with that. the smaller pins rip 5-10s apart! they work well, but you cant really say that 4mm pins dont work well either.

Last edited:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
How much? Been watching the evolution of the Fly Paper, just don't have a spare 450.00 These seem to provide a solid alternative.

May 27, 2009
another thing thats weird is that the are convex instead of concave. I rode the flypaper and they are that way too and feel very weird. these seem even more tapered too.... i dunno i like the feel of concave pedals, and the pointones have that... i like to put my foot on the canfields though

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
They looks fantastic. I have a ton of faith in the axle setup, and am a firm believer in the value of thin pedals. Pins can be swapped and replaced, although I do prefer pins that screw in from the back rather than set screws. Would like to see a little more mud clearance, but to be honest it's not an issue for anywhere I ride these days.

Would definitely be interested depending on the price. I have a feeling this is a product I'll wait until the second generation for, but kudos to the CBs on this initial effort.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
what's funny is a sponsored rider who comes on a board where everybody bench races and talks about how they're dumb and their chosen manufacturer is the best.

Please don't try and have me believe that your best friend's or sponsor's product is the best there is. In fact, don't say anything...let people with an unbiased opinion decide...unless you have facts to give, not a load of crap.
you dont know what your talking about. I am not sponsored by them and Chris and Lance are both friends of mine. But thats it.
Hay but thats cool.
I ride what I can get because I dont have lots of cash to build fancy race bikes. I have a wife two kids a house and all the bills that come along with that. So go get some more money from mom and dad then go ride you bike.

VM

Last edited:

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
you dont know what your talking about. I am not sponsored by them and Chris and Lance are both friends of mine. But thats it.
Hay but thats cool.
I ride what I can get because I dont have lots of cash to build fancy race bikes. I have a wife two kids a house and all the bills that come along with that. So go get some more money from mom and dad then go ride you bike.

VM
Amen VM, I feel your pain :huh:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
And yet here you are promoting $150 pedals.

Surely you must see the comedy in that. ;)
The Canfields make good products. Plus, they're all around bada$$ riders and super cool guys. If you were local, you'd promote their product too. Even if you can't necessarily afford it. I talk about their stuff. I've ridden a few of their bikes. I can't afford one because I also have higher priorities, but i will still talk their stuff up. :biggrin:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
That stem looks awesome. I'm stoked to see their new products. Chris and Lance have good ideas and it's cool that they're thinking outside of frame design...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
those pins are absurdly long. besides the obvious bend issue, they will unnecessarily tear hell out of your shoes.

I say unnecessarily because there are plenty of conventional pedals out there that provide a perfect amount of grip without resorting to 12mm pins. They appear to be a design "band-aid"?

-rob

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
those pins are absurdly long. besides the obvious bend issue, they will unnecessarily tear hell out of your shoes.

I say unnecessarily because there are plenty of conventional pedals out there that provide a perfect amount of grip without resorting to 12mm pins. They appear to be a design "band-aid"?

-rob
You obviously didn't read the thread. One of the bro's posted up that they only look longer than normal pins because they are a thinner diameter than other pedal pins. That and the overall thickness of the platform is much less than normal pedals helps add to the illusion.

May 27, 2009
Yeah its seems like the extra long pins compensate for the convex platform.... which really wont work because your foot sinks into the pins. And it doesn't matter if the "edge" of the body is 6mm, but the 17mm buldges and the long ass pedal studs are whats going to hit crap.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
And yet here you are promoting $150 pedals.

Surely you must see the comedy in that. ;)
exactly. why does your name pop up in every canfield bros thread? that's all I'm trying to say. :spam:

Anyways, that stem looks killer. After installing the e13 stem I got last night (Thanks BrianHCM1111one) I can see how bulky it is, and why you would want something so compact. Plus, it's a wicked clean design, and if it comes in at a reasonable price point, it'll be a good competitor.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
would like to know actual length of those pins in that case.

i've ridden on pedals where longer pins are meant to compensate for lack of concave. It kinda works, with the drawbacks myself and others have pointed out, but the overall feel/comfortableness of the pedal is never the same.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
what's funny is a sponsored rider who comes on a board where everybody bench races and talks about how they're dumb and their chosen manufacturer is the best.

Please don't try and have me believe that your best friend's or sponsor's product is the best there is. In fact, don't say anything...let people with an unbiased opinion decide...unless you have facts to give, not a load of crap.

Ok, I am a Canfield sponsored rider, and I am a bit biased..so go ahead and flame away Sandwich. I do have facts to give and I can tell you from experience (Unlike almost everyone on this entire forumn) these pedals are simply amazing. I have ridden them off and on throughout the proto stage as well as the final production. Unlike most of you e-speculating computer jockies...I ride my bike and have raced professionally for years. I do have experience on most of the pedals out there.

The thing about these pedals that I love is that after riding them, everything else feels like your riding on stilts....The low center of gravity along with amazing bite make this a very efficient pedal. The "dead spot" the Canfields talk about is only evident after riding a pedal with out one. The additional ground clearance as well as thin profile work exceptionally well. As far as durability of the spindle and the pins..not an issue. I raced them this last weekend in Angel Fire. Hit them repeatedly on rocks, scratched the hell out of them, but never once bent a spindle. I did bend a pin, but I am 100% confident that I would have bent any other pedal. People have e-speculated about the "bulge" where the bearing are... To be honest, I didn't even notice them. Chris and Lance have designed this pedal to not have any square edges. This is very important because it feels like nothing hangs up when slamming them into rocks etc. Everything seems to glance off.

So there you have it...a review from someone with experience and first hand knowledge of the pedal. I personally loved them. Almost everyone I know who has run them and ridden them has asked for a set. The Brothers have yet again built a superior product.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
I too have actually ridden a pair. Chris gave me a prototype set to ride out at PA and i must say i was instantly in love. The pedal feels like it's part of your foot. The bulge really doesn't affect the pedal at all, or at least I didn't notice it.
I cant wait to get my production pair, they were absolutely brilliant.