Quantcast

New thirty + foot road gap at SS

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Bearmntpicnic said:
Dh builder you talking i better see you riding it up there saturday.
just to prove something to you ?
don't flatter yourself.

we'll be up there riding and rippin along laughing, havin blast and enjoying everything they have built for us.
just like we do here at the rock every weekend.

and not even giving a second thought to the on-line neysayers.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
JeffKill said:
Looks like fun. Are they gonna leave that there after the race?
I've heard that they will soak it in kerosene and set it on fire during the pro men field. So I doubt it will last much after the race weekend.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Dartman said:
There are already and always have been bears on the course.
Haha, I was thinking to myself "Uh, we've already got plenty of bears"

We could always spice it up with Black Bear vs. Polar Bear death matches in the middle of one of the rock gardens.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
unfortunately the first stage of my deployment is that weekend. I could get lucky, and weasel my way down there, but i doubt it

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Yea, I have to say my sack just deflated like nine sizes. I don't think fat can fly that far, even going plaid speed.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
There must be a mix up or something, that damn thing needs to be on the Monster "Huck" Park course. I'm gonna need my trusty backpack to clear the chunder.:rofl:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
BigMike said:
HOLY EFF!!

Thats insane, I can't believe they would put that in a race up there. for the Pros, maybe, and if anyone in any other classes hit it, then they should be in pro!
Hucking a gap isn't always a skill that means you should be pro. :clue:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
profro said:
Hucking a gap isn't always a skill that means you should be pro. :clue:
Wanna bet? if one in the armature or even beginner class had the balls to hit that gap, then it would transfer to having the balls for most anything else on that course.

Henceforth, my wife has my balls locked away in a jar somewhere in the kitchen...:eek:

:p

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
sirknight6 said:
Wanna bet? if one in the armature or even beginner class had the balls to hit that gap, then it would transfer to having the balls for most anything else on that course.

Henceforth, my wife has my balls locked away in a jar somewhere in the kitchen...:eek:

:p

Having the "balls" to hit something big doesn't make you a pro class downhiller.

Dare I say it..... Josh Bender. :teacher:

There is a lot technically on that mountain that doesn't require balls. Its requires skill.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
That's the way the sport is progressing - you gotta go bigger and faster. It's like that in any sport - look at Freestyle Moto and Motocross. Look at other DH events - every course is gonna get bigger and nastier as time goes on. I guess you either need to man up and hit that type of stuff, or huck 5' of the 30 footer like I plan to do.:D I am by no means man enough to hit that - I like walking without crutches.:ouch:

I still think the Snowshoe Trail Crew is doing a GREAT JOB, and keep up the GREAT work! Keep the crazy sh1t coming - cuz I love to watch the people that have the skilzz to hit it.

Jun 11, 2004
BUCKET said:
I still think the Snowshoe Trail Crew is doing a GREAT JOB, and keep up the GREAT work! Keep the crazy sh1t coming - cuz I love to watch the people that have the skilzz to hit it.
Agreed.........they do an awesome job!

I'm sure some great pictures and video will come from that road gap and Sunday at MP!

Great job Snowshoe Trail Crew

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Agreed! I am certainly NOT griping about anything that crew has, or is doing.

That crew is the sh!t!

great job y'all.....

or...

great job Yous guys!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i' ve got more than a little experience build jumps suitable
for downhill bikes.
and over time i've learned from many mistakes.

one thing i've figured out.
is that jumps for downhill bikes, as opposed to b.m.x. kickers or freeride drops to flat.
work the best when they have a long slightly rising entrance that gets you completely up on the jump.
then about 2/3rd's into it, it starts an increase in the radius that will lift you off the lip without an abrupt kick.
all of this works best when you have a continuing radius throughout the whole length of the jump.
this is always a trial and error process that takes a few sessions to get totally dialed in.

the same holds true for wooden ramps.
the ramps i've built that work the best, have a continuous radius built into them.
ramps the have a lengthy flat surface, have a "dead" feel to them.
and don't aid in giving you the proper dynamic you need to be relaxed as you launch off the end of them.

what you don't want, is to have to huck or have to boost too much as you leave the ground.
this becomes more critical as the jump or ramp increases in size.

the landing is even more important.
you want to have a smooth tapered lander that actually accelerates you as you touch down.
especially if another jump is to follow.
my style is to have no jumps or drops to flat.
always a steep or tapered landing.

you don't want to make too big of a compromise in your bike set-up for landing a big flat hit that's going make it out of tune for the rest of the mt.

i agree with what bucket says about the sport progressing
but you have to build to fit the application.
the jump or ramp has to work with you.
and not be a hinderence to the desired goal.

i am in no way saying this ramp won't work.
and i do plan on hitting it in practice.
but at 49yrs. of age my knees and ankles just wont take more many flat landings.
so we'll see how many times i can hit it.
or if i hit it in my race run or not.
i plan on riding downhill for many years to come.
and we all (no matter what our age may be) have to weigh out the risk/reward factor.

i always look at supercross tracks and freestyle motocross jumps.
they wouldn't be doing the things they are able to do on those bikes without properly built jumps.
the jumps do the majority of the work.
and you never see them landing flat.

this isn't meant to be critical of what the guys up there are doing.
as i have the utmost respect for anybody who gives us a place to ride.
and styles change from builder to builder and from mt. to mt.
you guys are doing a fine job.
and as i've learned over the years.
you can't please everybody.
ignore the whiners and build what you want to ride.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
You guys should not think about whether you have the balls to hit it or not. You should first decide if you have confidence in your abilities to complete it successfully, which you can decide once you see it in person. And then you start building you confidence.

And if ultimately you decide it is not for you, then just go around it. No big deal. One obstacle in unlikely to make or break a run.

The key to being a successful racers in understanding your limits and riding within them. You are much faster on your bike then laying on the ground.

I will admit that jump looks big. But I talked to Trevyn last night and he said it is no bigger than 30 feet.

And the thing is guys these things are all relative. Most people would consider the majority of what we ride nutty.

We all want to progress and I am greatful that Snowshoe is giving us that opportunity.

See everyone next week.

-brian

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Having big balls and a lack of skill or experience will usually end up getting you hurt. We all know what we're capable of, and what limits we can push. The key is not riding over your head.

ecbmxer

Chimp
Jul 18, 2006
Morgantown, West Virginia
I think you could easily try it out a few times just landing in the road, not going too fast. Cause its not that high of a lip. And there's really nothing to hang up on, so if you don't make it all the way it'll just be rough, but you're not gonna die. Now we can't see whats after that or what the landing fully looks like, so that may be a whole other story.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I don't mean to be more of a sissy than usual, but is there going to be a roll around? Much as I am enjoying this week of being hurt on the couch, I am not really in the mood to go back to back with the pain.

However, that being said, sweet christ that thing is sweet. Solid work SS Crew, if I had the skill I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a twinkie.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
At least with this jump it seems if you come up short you can land in the road. I would hate to come up short just enough to case it though, then you will get bucked big time.

One thing I noticed about dhbuilders jumps while I was at Windrock, coming up short means death. Here is a pic of one gap. This particular one isn't that wide, maybe 10ft-15ft, but it just shows that his jumps require commitment.

http://www.dalenet.com/~delmar/mtb/windrock/4.jpg

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i always look at supercross tracks and freestyle motocross jumps. they wouldn't be doing the things they are able to do on those bikes without properly built jumps. the jumps do the majority of the work. and you never see them landing flat.
actually, in the recent x-games i was surprised at how many riders were landing flat on the step-up/pole clear competition...it was a fine line between getting height and not hitting the pole, but when the pole was raised, more and more riders were not landing on the tranny. ouch.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
i always look at supercross tracks and freestyle motocross jumps. they wouldn't be doing the things they are able to do on those bikes without properly built jumps. the jumps do the majority of the work. and you never see them landing flat.
Uhhh, I'm not sure I'd say that. Plenty of play riding off track is done with super sketchy run ups and almost non existant landings. Ever seen a cliff jump ? I don't know if you understand just how much abuse motocross bikes can take.