Quantcast

new tires?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I need some new rubber. This will be my 4th set of road tires, first time spending big money on them. What do you suggest?

Lightweight, somewhat long lasting, good ride quality. Price isn't too important. I'm thinking the Michelins, but not too sure.

Opinions?

Oh and I'm testing out a Fizik Arione for my shop, so far it seems good. The Aliante looks even bettr. If you want to know about it, I'll be putting some miles on it this week.

The Ito

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Michelin Pro-Race, grippy wears reasonably well.

Have at least 1000 miles on mine so far.

Plus the blue sidewall goes sooo well with my frame.

Another thought, why does anyone ever buy those kevlar belted 'training' tires? Wouldn't you much prefer to have the best rubber under on wheels rather than a compromise becasue you're cheap?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Vittoria Diamante Pros (not the lite version!) or Vredestein Tricomps.

I'm really liking the Diamantes so far. Much better tire than the Rubino.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Vittoria Open Corsas are by far the very best tires I have ever used, I won't use them anymore because they don't last long with the type of gravel we have in my area. I have my last set on the road bike now but they are riddled with slices. So sad. :mumble:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
My Roubaix came with Specialized Mondo SWorks tires. Great grip and aren't getting cut up too bad. Wear seems reasonable. They are fairly light as well.

On the zipps I've been running have Schwalbe Stelvio tubulars. Real nice tires.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Agree that the Mich Pro-Race are great tires. However they are kind of soft and pretty prone to cuts. Have about 1000 miles on mine without much trouble. Would definately buy again.

Would also like to try some of the Vittoria tires.

mtnbikej

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
DRB said:
My Roubaix came with Specialized Mondo SWorks tires. Great grip and aren't getting cut up too bad. Wear seems reasonable. They are fairly light as well.

On the zipps I've been running have Schwalbe Stelvio tubulars. Real nice tires.
I've been using the specialized road tires on two bikes. Seem pretty puncture resistant and roll pretty well.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Serial Midget said:
Vittoria Open Corsas are by far the very best tires I have ever used, I won't use them anymore because they don't last long with the type of gravel we have in my area. I have my last set on the road bike now but they are riddled with slices. So sad. :mumble:
Ya, we stock the Vittoria Open Corsas at my shop and while they look incredible my boss, who rides them, says they only last about 800-1000 miles and I can't afford to be replacing tires every month or so.

Went with the Michelin Pro Race. Road home on them...what a difference from my Conti Gatorskins! I can actually feel the road now and getting some hard lean in turns is so easy I'm a little scared.

The Ito

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Michelin makes the only widely available tires worth buying, but I love the ride of vredsteins, they are a pain in the ass to get though...

I'm a fan of cheap ass training tires though... I run bomproof 28c Top Tourings on my training wheels. No flats, ever, and heavy enough that I really notice when I ride my nice wheels, so every ride with those is like an upgrade!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
GravityFreakTJ said:
Do you happen to know the weight on the Schwalbe's ?Looking to try something different after the Tufo's wear out.Thanks

T
To be honest I have no idea. The Zipps aren't mine, I'm just "borrowing" them. The Schwalbe website says 240grams. Probably all total I've got close to 400 miles on them and the actual owner probably had 150 miles on them. There is a little wear but not excessive. They are also free of noticeble cuts.

J

JRB

Scwhalbes are soft. So are Michelins. For a long running fast tire, I suggest the Vredstein Fortezza Pro Tri Comp. I put over 2500 on some, and can still run them. 145 pounds of air makes them super fast.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I add another vote for Vredsteins. They might be hard to get in some places but my shop always had a nice stock of them. Tricomps or, to save a few bucks, the regular Fortezzas are great.