Quantcast

New to Albany NY area, looking for some good riding!

GregBik3r

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Bay Area, CA
Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've been on these boards. Used to ride a Kona, then a Big Hit, then a Chumba Zulu + DSS, then a V10...

Now I've got a Yeti DJ as my main bike and my trusty DSS as a backup bike.

I just moved from Santa Barbara CA to the Albany NY area.

I'm looking for some dirtjumps in the area...or any kind of riding for that matter. What are my options? I like all types of riding, but technical trails and dirtjumps are my main thrills these days. Haven't done much lift-assisted riding in years.

I'm not too confident there are any good DJ spots nearby...but does anybody know differently?

Help an old monkey out!

Thanks in advance. If you're from the area and want to hit the trails, let me know :thumb:

And if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly, send me a PM. I don't know anyone to tell anyways, so your secret is safe with me.

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Plaine & Sons in Schenectady has weekly rides at Central Park on Thursdays and Elevate Cycles in Saratoga Springs runs (last I knew, anyways) the SMBA system. Both shops should know other places to ride as well. :)

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Wilmington, N.Y. is 2 1/4 hours away. Big lift serviced downhill @ Whiteface, lots of new x-c (nice and technical) and the new (last fall) Kyle Ebbett dirt jump/skills park. The dj park is free and open till dark.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Hit me up - I work at the Downtube in Albany just about every Friday 4-7. ask for, well, Jim Mac!

I am more up on the DH stuff but not DJ. Other Downtube employees Jason or Ian can also hook you up with local jump info.

EDIT: Like many said, techy trail riding is up in Saratoga (SMBA). Check info/trail passes out at Elevate Cycles. I can also show you some semi techy trails up in Thacher Park (the 1600 ft escarpment behind the city of Albany). I usually ride up there every Wed night.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
SMBA Group rides are Wednesday nights and I personally ride other nights as well. Also, my LUNA Team leads co-ed rides throughout the region twice a month (women's only on the other weeks). We'll be at Schenectady's Central Park in a couple of weeks.

GregBik3r

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for all of the valuable info guys. I'd be wandering around aimlessly without your help!

I'll definitely be stopping by Downtube one of these days, and it'd be fun to ride with any of you. I'll also pay elevate cycles a visit, and likely buy an SMBA trail pass. How much do they usually run?

Anyways, I don't have the endurance I used to for XC, and I'm sure most of you would leave me in the dust on the climbs...I'm riding a singlespeed Yeti DirtJump, so it's not the greatest for climbs/distance rides...but regardless it'd be cool to meet up with any of you and do some riding. The heavier your bike, the better. haha

I'll throw you guys some PM's when I get settled in. If you see a 20-something on a silver yeti, holler at me. I'm in albany, down the street from AMC.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
there's also a bmx track in Rotterdam (Schenectady). If you're near AMC, go over to the Albany Psych Center, there's nice little tabletop in the back and a big ass brick bank to wallride.

jmitchell

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
I host the weekly SMBA group rides on Wednesdays, 6pm. We meet at the intersection of Daniels Road and Clinton Street. You're welcome to join us. The pace is more than beginner, however we don't leave anyone behind. This time of year lights are a must, it's dark by the time we get out of the woods.

FYI,
You can get a membership at more shops than just Elevate Cycles.
Info on getting a membership is here: http://www.saratogamtb.org/ContentManager/index.cfm?Step=Display&ContentID=2
For more club info the main SMBA website is here: http://www.saratogamtb.org/index.cfm