Quantcast

New to Bay Area

Surfkahakai

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
Hey folks,

I don't know if these type of threads are allowed here... if not, sorry. Someone can delete it.

My wife and I just moved up here for a new job and since I don't get to surf as much as I'd like to, I bought a bike this weekend. I picked up a 2005 Giant STP1 and bought my wife a Rainier.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get to ride a few times a week and maybe I'll see you all around.

Fun story: First day on the bike (Saturday), my friend and I went up to the mountains and he took a nice spill trying to keep up with me (not that I'm fast). 30 minutes later, CDF and the Rangers were on their way. Here's the prognosis:

Morphine!!!

Surfkahakai

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
Thanks for the welcome.

I took the photos with a Canon 20D and 17-40mm lens. I do surf photography mostly but I'd like to start taking some photos of bikers too. My flashes have been sitting for too long.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Welcome to RM and the area. Sucks about the spill. Hope you recover quickly. Be sure to take the time to let that heal and do physical therapy if the doctors say you should. I have a buddy who did the same thing snowboarding and he didnt listen to the doctor and now has broken it 2 more times because he didnt let it heal.

Surfkahakai

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
Total... that's actually my friend's x-ray. He's the one out for a couple months while I get to continue riding. Now I just need to find someone to ride with. I spent $600 for a bike and a helmet for my wife and she just wants to ride on the street. It's rather uneventful, but it's quality time.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Aha. Sorry about that. I started reading the post in the morning and started to write the response later in the day. Missed the part about it not being you. There are lots of trails in the bay area. Let me know if you plan on coming down to Santa Cruz. Some of the stuff is pretty brutal on a hard tail, but if you are up for some cross country style riding let me know. I will bring my cross bike and just use that.

I work in Los Gatos Monday-Friday and I like riding from downtown to the Lexington reservoir and back on my lunch. Its a nice mellow ride with 2 decent climbs.

Surfkahakai

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
Let me know if you plan on coming down to Santa Cruz. Some of the stuff is pretty brutal on a hard tail, but if you are up for some cross country style riding let me know. I will bring my cross bike and just use that.

I work in Los Gatos Monday-Friday and I like riding from downtown to the Lexington reservoir and back on my lunch. Its a nice mellow ride with 2 decent climbs.
I'll have to take you up on that sometime soon. I'd say this weekend but it's my one year anniversary and the wife and I are headed to Tahoe. We'll be taking the bikes so hopefully we can get some riding in.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'll have to take you up on that sometime soon. I'd say this weekend but it's my one year anniversary and the wife and I are headed to Tahoe. We'll be taking the bikes so hopefully we can get some riding in.
Nice and congrats. Let me know when you can ride. =]

I just got my cyclocross bike all tuned up, new bar tape, shifter cables, etc. I'm pumped to take it out on a ride soon.