Quantcast

new to big bikes

Mar 9, 2009
have been riding bmx lately and finally got a big bike, '08 wilson 3. steep learning curve when it comes to tuning and dialing this thing in, hardtails and BMX's are a few bolts and BAM you're ready.

I just need like a good start point for tuning the fork mainly, i think i got the sag down on the dhx air but the fork seems like it will be much harder

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
So you are not getting enough sag up front?

Back off the preload on the fork. If you are a lightweight you may have to change springs.

Mar 9, 2009
i'm about 200lbs with gear (not exactly sure haven't weighed lately). may have rebound down, have it like 15-17 clicks from closed, what is a good way to test it besides the bar push? curbs?

i'm setting it according to this default I found

Downhill
Sag: 28 to 40 millimeters.
Low-speed rebound: 15 to 20 clicks
out from closed.
Compression: two to five clicks
from open.

when it means clicks from open on compression, it means all the way + and then back two to five?

Last edited:

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
You should run rebound fairly fast, the usual rule is to run rebound faster up front and slower at the rear end.

For downhill you might run between 25% and 35% of the entire stroke as sag.

The more towards "+" you turn the adjusters, the more of the adjustment becomes active. So, more "+" equals more rebound (slower return) and more compression damping (more force needed to compress the fork) respectively.

Fully open is all the way to "-" as I read it.

Don't trust the "default", it may be totally off for you.

When checking sag up front, stand centered over the bike on the pedals in a attack stance so to speak, otherwise it will be hard to determine. Use a zip tie on the stanchions to see what amount of travel you are using.

Mar 9, 2009
thanks for the info, another thing is the SUPER HIGH front end. not only i there like a 5 inch spacer but like 2 inch rise bars and a top load stem. easiest way to lower it?

also, sag looks to be okay on the rear shock for now

that's with no riding gear

and this is when I bounce on the pedals violently:

also, fork sag is now 35mm after setting preload a little lower

Last edited:

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Sure, back end looks good.

5 inches of spacers!?!, now that's a lot. I usually save 2 cm (0.75") extra steerer tube to be able to play around with adjustments/stems when building a bike.

There are a lot of bars availible in less rise as well, but start by putting stem at the lowest possible point and have a feel.

It's a bit risky having that whole stack on top of your stem, I would cut the steerer tube a bit.

You can knock down the starnut further down before you start sawing away, saves a bit of cash.

Remember: measure twice, cut once.

Concerning the fork, you probably have to back off the preload a bit more or maybe jump a step down spring wise.
If you are running the fork at 200mm (8") then your sag probably needs to be a bit more than 35mm.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I would defo cut that down a bit.

Only problem is that you should probably get yourself a flat crown to accommodate that. Your crowns should not be too close together.

Mar 9, 2009
went for a ride today. feels pretty good. only problem is now that the brakes are sticky. the levers don't spring back right away.

i blame this on the fact that the maiden voyage was a mud-fest, or they need a re-bleed

Mar 9, 2009
im still not getting full travel out of the fork

the sag is about 50mm so I tried to decrease compression but it was already bottomed out to the -

i have a good 2 inches of travel left

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
I was right were you were at a couple years dude... I felt like a idiot going into bikeshops and asking "is this right?" kinda questions

I miss the simple bmx bike ha

check your pm box

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Mz. drop the ball once in a while when it comes to oil levels from the factory, have a look at that if you are not getting full travel.

Mar 9, 2009
i've got the fundamentals dvd on the way, but I just need a quick tip. I've got the compression about 5 clicks from -, from testing I gather makes it softer

Mar 9, 2009
so when someone tells me to set it to 4 clicks from open, it's from the -?

this has been confusing me for a while arrrrrg

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Yes that would be from (-).

When speaking of having an adjuster "open" in this case it is maximum oilflow.

The more (+) adjustment you add will lessen the oilflow.

So:

Fully (+) = Fully closed.
Fully (-) = Fully open.