Quantcast

New To Biking Need Help Looking For a Free Ride Racing Bike

Jul 27, 2004
Mesa, AZ
Alright this is my first post and Im trying to get into Competitve Mountain biking so I need some advice in helping me choose someting I will be able to race down hill and up hill, something that can handle jumps, drops, and climbs.

Im not sure if I should get a DH Bike, FR Bike or what.

So if you guys could help me out in finding a bike that would be awesoume.

Thanks

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Wait for the 2005 bikes to come, and there will be many sweet long travel trail bikes to choose from. The long travel trail market would probably suit you needs best, with bikes able to climb and decend very well. With mostly all of the manufactures producing a line of trail bikes, there are many to look at. Your height, weight, budget, and riding style can help us choose the correct bike for you. Welcome to ridemonkey!

Jul 27, 2004
Mesa, AZ
Thanks, here is my weight Height Im 5'11, 135 lbs. My budget is going to be around 3,000 and Im looking for something to jump and go off drops with but still able to climb decently atleast get up the hill.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
vp free, as-x, bullit and things of that nature will treat you well.

one of the mail order companies has the vp free for a little under your price range with a good build.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wait wait, you want to race XC AND DH? I'm confuzzled...

You'll be hard pressed to find a bike that can do both of those well...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
xbluethunderx said:
Wait wait, you want to race XC AND DH? I'm confuzzled...

You'll be hard pressed to find a bike that can do both of those well...
I agree. You will never find a Dh bike that will hold it's own against a XC bike on a XC course. Same with a XC on a DH course.

A Freeride bike does both better and worst. The FR XC worst than a XC machine and DH's worst than a dedicated DH machine.

My advice is get two machines a XC rig and a DH bike. Maybe a Iron Horse SGS (complete) via Supergo for ~$2,000 and a complete XC HT for ~$1,000.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
lol u can try to pedal a dh bike up a hill. what rhino meant is that freeride bikes are the middle ground betweeen gh and xc bikes. you can xc them but theyre not as good at it as an xc bike but way better than a dh bike and you can dh a fr bike but not as good as a dh bike but better than an xc bike. but look at the specialized bighit or the vp free from santa cruz.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
eh u wanna petal a dh bike up hill u better get a road bike and start to ride 30 miles daily, it helps trust me ive done it. spandex, and a dh'er, WHAT THE HELL?

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
RhinofromWA said:
My advice is get two machines a XC rig and a DH bike. Maybe a Iron Horse SGS (complete) via Supergo for ~$2,000
The 04 SGS DH Pro model is only 1,400 RIGHT NOW @ Supergo! I just got mine a few weeks ago for 1,699 and 9 days later the price dropped even more. The gave me the difference in cash (300 bucks!)

You can't go wrong with the Iron Horse SGS brand new for only 1,400.....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i beat the ever lovin piss out of my sgs. set up with a jr-t and small and middle ring up front as well as sun modo wheel set. can climb as well as to be expected from a freeride/dh bike.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
HRDTLBRO said:
How do you like the Pro Bobby Peru?
I just ordered mine today.
Congrats! I love it, however....it takes some time to adjust the rear shock. Take time and learn how to adjust it. It is also a world different than my hardtail. (this is my first FS bike) so it is kinda like I am learning all over again... regardless, I am STOKED to have a dedicated DH bike! I have wanted one for 4 years...

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Sweet,
I'm coming from the same situation, i've been riding a hardtail for years,and finally got a DH bike at the advice of several locals. I'm pretty familiar with the SPV stuff, so it should be good. Do you know what lb. spring it comes stock with? Sorry for the thread hijack, but i'm as excited as a school girl growing cherries. :thumb:

Jul 27, 2004
Mesa, AZ
Well Im trying to find an online dealer for the cheapest prices on a VP Free or Specialized bikes if anyone knows of any good cheap sites that would be very cool.

Thanks