Quantcast

New to bmx

handeyman

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Hello I used to have an old schwinn bmx as a kid I no nothing about bmx but it seemed very light, I also like how you peddled backwards to brake. Anyways I used to take off of the jump I built in my dirve way, loads of fun.

Basically I want a new bike!
Im 5"8 140
$400 price range
I want it as light as possible!

Any suggestions?
thanks a lot

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'd say check out danscomp.com and figure out what you like. it seems like Fit, Eastern, Stolen, Kink and Verde are coming out with some really nicely set up completes for the money. dans usually has coupon codes floating around that will give you a nice discount, just start looking around.

handeyman

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Hi thanks for the reply, do I just go off of looks, how do I no the differences, also are those light bikes?

I noticed the intense bikes were really light? Are they any good?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Coaster brakes are still around, but pretty much NOBODY uses them for BMX anymore. Old farts that rode Schwinn stingrays are supposed to buy full suspension bikes. :P
Go to your local bike shop and test ride a few bikes to give yourself a clue what you are getting yourself into.

handeyman

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
thanks, ooh i didnt ride a stingray im only 18 it still loooked fairly modern i still have it il post pics later
Will the aluminum matter to me, if im just doing basic jumps and transportation, does it still look like a normal bmx?

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
Alumninum frames should really only be used for racing or on full suspension MTBs, it has somewhat of a tendancy to crack or even snap when used in a rigid application.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I have a friend with the kink whip. Seems nice build, sunringle wheels, cromo frame, fairly light etc...

If I could pick again I'd go fit team street bike. No brakes though so if you want em then thats prob not your cup of tea.