Quantcast

New to cycling, found this bike on craigslist...

jeremysmith

Chimp
Jul 24, 2009
Hello all,

I can only imagine the amount of "hello everyone, I'm new! help me!" posts that are posted here on any given day. I apologize for this being yet another one of those posts. :(

Anyway, I recently got into cycling as my dad, who is a freak of nature at the age of 53 and does at least a half-triathlon every month or so, asked me to go along on a ride with him. I decided to look into getting my own bike and found a Raleigh Technium on craigslist for relatively cheap.

Here's a picture of her:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9289/hammertimeg.jpg

Anyway, I've recently been interested in, maybe, upgrading a couple of the components.

First, maybe some "cowhorn" handlebars instead of my current ones? The frame is already a little too big for me, I feel as if a different style of handlebar might allow me to sit in a more comfortable position?

Secondly, my dad gave me some Michelin Pro 2 tires (yellow) which don't necessarily agree with the not-so-smooth streets of New Orleans. Any thoughts on a different, more rugged pair of tires I might purchase that would also fit on my rims?

Third, a couple legit websites that I would be able to purchase some of these things?

Thanks again for reading all this dribble. I still have a lot to learn.

-Jeremy

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
jensonusa.com
pricepoint.com
nashbar.com

those are my big three for online retailers.

I don't think your current brake levers would work all that well with bullhorn bars, but you could give it a shot. Profile Designs (among others) make some pretty slick looking levers that work better with bullhorns.

I ran Schwalbe Stelvio 25c's on my commuter for several thousand miles (not the smoothest surface either...heh...) and they worked awesome.

That line of tires has been replaced with the Durano. I have yet to throw a set on, but everyone I've talked to that's riding them seems really impressed with the ride quality.

Hope that helps!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't try to overthink it.

If your saddle height is set correctly for your leg lenght, the bike is too big for you. The only fix is to get a new bike.

If you started changing bars (and cowhorns are designed to get more stretched out), you are putting yourself at risk.

jeremysmith

Chimp
Jul 24, 2009
I wouldn't try to overthink it.

If your saddle height is set correctly for your leg lenght, the bike is too big for you. The only fix is to get a new bike.

If you started changing bars (and cowhorns are designed to get more stretched out), you are putting yourself at risk.
I actually just went to a nearby bike shop and they almost laughed at me for riding a bike that is for someone 6'5" and above. I am 5'8". I had no idea about sizing until recently. Talk about feeling like an idiot. I guess I'm just out of luck?