Quantcast

New to earth...

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Hey dudes, so yeah I was recommended to this site by some of the guys over at sport chalet when I was buying the third set of pads I had worn out in two months whoops crash.

So I live w/ my best friend and he's been a rider for a long time and I've never been that into it. Started a little bit ago w/ an 06 Kona Kula and now tossed all that XC stuff on a 05 Kona Stinky Primo. Its kinda heavy now but is super fun on the drops and dh's. I'm still riding on the Marz. gran fondo 1 105mm fork that came on my old ht bike so its a little, um, "unballanced" if you will. I am getting like 7+ inches of rear wheel travel to 4 in front. I do a lot of climbing so someone recommend me a fork that doesn't weigh 7+ lbs. I'd really really like to not have to spend the money for the whole axle thing too, if possible.

Anyway here are some pics of our rides so far. We've done Hoyt, lowe, the wilson shuttle, and we live right next to brown/prieto so we do that 3/4 times a week. With school and work we have to ride at night mostly, so we've got Light n Motion HID's in place of that old ****astic niterider ones.

Comments welcome...

http://qksltwo.com/photo/photshat/

Thanks

Ian

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
I remember these photos. ;)

Bonita, CA

Number One NASCAR Die Hard Southcore Fan -Loonatic on Westridge :drool:

Ski Jump -Summit Run (circa -like so long ago)...woot woot!

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Yeah those were my desktop pics for a long time. I got them off google a while back. Are they yours?

Ian

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
qksl2 said:
Yeah those were my desktop pics for a long time. I got them off google a while back. Are they yours?

Ian
Glad you liked them.
Those were taken from our old Sony Mavica digi cam(with 3.5" floppy).
From a floppy disk fed Mavica to the current Rebel XT -wow! :rofl:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Cool! Maybe we should ride sometime. You should get a marzocchi super-T (7"). It's a cheap (compared to others), but very good fork. A good used one will be about $200-$300. It will be worth it, you will love it (most likely).

The really old ones come with qr dropout. Just spend the money on a used hub and have a friend build it. A 20mm axle makes a huge difference. Besides, lessening flex, it is also not something that could not easily fall out. You are riding downhill (probably fast), so you might as well just get it as it's much more secure.

If you don't want a dual crown, and want to keep the bike more versatile, get a marzocchi z-150 (6").

2003 was a really good year for marzocchi forks, although the 20mm versions had qr20 (quick release 20mm dropouts). They are kind of sketchy. You can buy the upgrade from marzocchi for about $10.

After 2003, they came with regular 20mm dropouts, although the '03's, I've heard are smoother in general.

We should go riding sometime. Are you going to Fontana for the National in May?

----------------------------------------------
Nice pics heather! I can't believe those came off a floppy. How many pictures did it take to fill one up?

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Welcome to the monkey, Did you guys end up coming down out lake or chaney trail? Hope you had fun on the ride, as long as you don't fall off its a blast.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
lovebunny said:
GODAMN! look at those gas prices. man what i would give to pay 1.35 a gallon
I noticed that, too. If gas prices went back down to $1.35 a gallon, it would be like getting a nice fat raise. I remember my Honda Civic days...$12 bucks and I had a full tank of gas that would last for 300 miles...

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I don't want a 7lb fork since I have to hike this thing up so many hills. I'll look at that z150 thing, sounds pretty good.

I didn't know about any events, but if you guys keep stuff updated on here I'm sure I'll find out.

And what we did the other day was go down the lowe fire road till we hit mid-merril, then took that to echo up a short climb and then down the jewel that is sunset. From there, instead of dropping all the way down to chaney, we took that tiny little singletrack which is also incredible over to the brown mtn fire road, up that for a mile or so climb and then down a medium technical prieto (for me). Drops you at JPL. Whole thing took less than three hours in the dark on our first time.

Today Wilson was closed, so I did hoyt up to the top and then down the singletrack to clear creek, then road back to the car down 2.

I took some pics I'll post them later.

Ian

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
if you really dont want to spend too much on a fork, get an 05 flick plus. they're cheap as hell right now (high 200s) for tpc+ damping and 6 inches of travel. they come in a qr version as well.

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
What brank is a flick? I've never heard of it. I'm not that up to date on stuff so illuminate me lol hid.

Ian

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It's a manitou. I don't know about you, but I like marzocchi forks better. I have heard about people liking them though. Are they as plush as z150's?

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Ah I see, thanks for the info. I'm really into the marzocchi forks, as they are so so smooth and plush. But they are pricey and the long travel forks are heavy, two things I really don't think I can have considering my budget and the amount of climbing I do. Is that Flick supposed to be reasonably plush for the drops?

Ian

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i've never ridden one, but i almost bought it for my ac. . . instead i bought a marzocchi super t and havent really regretted it except for every time the trail points uphill. . . but now i try to avoid those places.

as for drops, how big are we talking here? get the right springs in the manitous set them up right and they should be good to go.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
I have a sherman firefly 90-130 for my DJ (p2) and it rides really nicely. I keep it locked out a lot of the time at the trails, but with full travel its actually pretty plush. Definitely not quite the small bump compliance as say my 66rc, but then again it has 2 inches less of travel. I would buy it again for the price i paid (~340).

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A 150mm (6") fork would be best for your bike. A 5" bike will make it unbalanced and steep, not much better than your 4" fork. With a 6", the HA will be right for freeriding, but still be climbable.

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
mtnbrider said:
A 150mm (6") fork would be best for your bike. A 5" bike will make it unbalanced and steep, not much better than your 4" fork. With a 6", the HA will be right for freeriding, but still be climbable.
A 5" bike will make what unbalanced and steep? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the lingo.

So are you saying that a 6" fork will ballance my bike better than a 5" (130mm?) fork? I think I am going to pick up that manitou unless anyone else has any really good reason not to. Its quite light compared to all the marzocchi forks, and way cheaper, so that I can afford it right now. I just hope it climbs ok. I love the 105mm marzocchi I have now but it corners nose down, if that makes any sense.

So anyone have a front hub I can give you some cash for?

Thanks!

Ian

BTW, prolly gonna try the mt wilson shuttle again fri night or sat morn if anyone else is in...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Steep is when the the fork is less raked out, like the opposite of a chopper. A chopper is quite slack. With a 5" fork it will be steep. You can get 6" manitous. Maybe a manitou breakout would be best (since you want a manitou. It has 7" and can climb (it is light too). 7" would really be better for freeriding and downhill.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=20814

Here is a review. Before spending money on things, its a good idea to look at reviews. MTBR.com has reviews on most everything:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121921.shtml

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
That 66 looks better than the manitou in everything except for weight. I'm scared of making my bike even heavier lol 40lbs uphill yuck.

Thanks for the suggestion on the breakout. Looks really good but somewhat unreliable. So can I use a 20mm style front hub w/ my current wheel/rim deal?

Thanks!

Ian

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
the breakout only comes with a 1.5 head tube. if you try to put it on the stinky, you will discover that it only has a 1.125 head tube (i'm almost certain), making your new fork an excellent lawn ornament but not much good for biking.

as for the latest question, you will be able to salvage your rim if you want, your spokes may or may not be useless (add $15) and your hub you are replacing ($50). Also, remember that wheel building costs lots of money ($20-50 depending on the crappiness of your shop). i'd say buy a complete wheel and sell yours in the classifieds. It's pretty hard to touch a new or rebuilt wheel for less than 100 or so.

Wanna buy mine used? bombshell fatboy with less than a year on it. It's a good light FR rim, but i just ordered a new wheelset that is in the mail cause i crushed in my rear rhino lite.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
skatetokil said:
the breakout only comes with a 1.5 head tube.
The Sherman Breakout + comes in 1.5. . The Flick Plus for sale at Jenson has a standard 1 1/8" steerer.

I own both SPV and TPC Manitou forks. You don't SPV unless you are riding strictly XC. If the bike will be used to go down the TPC is better in every aspect. SPV does an awesome job for standing climbs but it is horrible over small rocks and gets worse with speed.

Jenson has 2 TPC equipped forks for sale both with killer discounts. The Nixon and Flick.

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Whats your opinion on the TPC forks for climbing? Looks like you can lock 'em out w/ a lower travel setting. The stinky doesn't bob at all on a climb with my current spring preloaded quite a bit, which is really nice.

Thanks for the help guys,

Ian

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
qksl2 said:
Whats your opinion on the TPC forks for climbing? Looks like you can lock 'em out w/ a lower travel setting. The stinky doesn't bob at all on a climb with my current spring preloaded quite a bit, which is really nice.

Thanks for the help guys,

Ian
TPC won't be nearly as stable at a SPV fork. If you go with the Flick it can drop its travel from 150mm to 110mm very easily much like Marzocci's ETA system and you will be in pretty good shape. My Nixon's travel is adjustable from 115 to 145. For climbs it is hard to change the travel quickly while riding.

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Ok I just sold my kona kula w/ my old fork for 500 so I am gonna pick up that flick with the TPC and try my luck. Seems like the SPV thing eliminates small bump dampening too much, from what I've read. Next up will be to tire this bike for all that loose stuff. Also, I need a wheel for that 20mm hub thing asap, anyone have a used one they want some cash for?

2 hours till heading up to do the wilson again!

Ian