Quantcast

New to forum

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
hey guys, im new to the forum, but not diablo. i'm also one of the kids from opening day that had his bike ruined 30 seconds away from the park during that crash. Insurance is going to take care of payment for my old bike (kona coiler) and i'll be getting retail value for REPLACEMENT parts (new stuff). So i've been wondering, since i will be seeing 5000-6000 dollars for my bike, what new bike should i buy with it?
i rode a demo iron horse sunday all day saturday, and really liked the feel, but a couple of the bike shops i've talked to said to get a demo 8 instead. I'm open to anyones opinion, so if you've got any suggestions for me, lets hear it!
also thanks to everybody on opening day that offered me a spin on their bikes when they saw what happened to mine and my friends bighit!

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
giant glory. go to cycle works
Don't listen to him, get what you want. If you asked this kid what bike Sam Hill rode he'd probably say a Giant Glory. Its the only company he ever mentions or talks about as far as what I've seen.....go with the Sunday if you like it. But the demo 8 may be more reliable...

EDIT: The Giant Glory isn't a bad bike though.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Mod edit: I took care of the useless banter/crap so I am removing your reference as well.

To the OP - If your smart, $5-6K can buy you almost ANY bike you want. My suggestion would be to maybe take one more weekend of demo'ing bikes. And for gawd sakes, don't listen to what a SHOP tells you to buy, go and ride a bike, gauranteed theres gonna be a bike that just "clicks" and seems almost too fun to ride. thats your bike. Then theres always the buy on e-bay and make it work route, you could get a hell of alot of bike for $5K on ebay, all new prolly too, or ridden like once.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Do you n00bz notice how you basically provided the original poster with NO INFO? Take your girly word fighting elsewhere. If theres to be fighting in the DIABLO forum it better involve blood or else its a waste of time. And stop fighting over whos faster like punks, God this sport is turning into moto more and more every year with punks like you guys. Help eachother and the damn sport out by INVITING new and unskilled riders and teaching them how to be fast (although you guys may not be the best teachers :imstupid:), not making fun of them cause they may not be as fast as you. I really don't want this sport to end up with flat brimmed sponsorhouse punks running around the pits cause your scaring away all the new kids.

To the OP - If your smart, $5-6K can buy you almost ANY bike you want. My suggestion would be to maybe take one more weekend of demo'ing bikes. And for gawd sakes, don't listen to what a SHOP tells you to buy, go and ride a bike, gauranteed theres gonna be a bike that just "clicks" and seems almost too fun to ride. thats your bike. Then theres always the buy on e-bay and make it work route, you could get a hell of alot of bike for $5K on ebay, all new prolly too, or ridden like once.
Your right. I always get pissed when I see crap like this on other threads. I apologize for all the bull**** I just caused.:imstupid:

edit: I did suggest something too. But Travis, be real. All we did is act like bitches.

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
lol thanks, i figured the shops i went to would tell me to get a demo anyways seeing as they were specialized dealers, and wasnt planning on listening to them without atleast trying out the bike first, but i've never ridden a demo and i know many people are very happy with them. im looking to try out 3 or 4 more DH bikes before i do buy one, and i've got a while to look with all the time it's going to take for insurance to get the money to me.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Now that I think about it. If you do get a Glory. It does come stock with a lot of really really high end parts. And than you can spend that extra grand on a decent hardtail or just save it for whatever else you have in mind.

Edit: Eventually, even if you don't like the Glory(which I doubt would happen) you could always buy another frame and still have all of those nice parts from it.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Yea dude, if you have the ability to actually demo bikes, use it. I never really did, but I always got lucky with the Buy and Hope it works method. I personally have never ridden a demo either, but hear theyre good. Personally I ride a giant faith, and although the only thing that makes it a faith anymore is the frame and seatpost, Its still a realllly fun bike. However I've ridden a Sunday as well, and I'm as opposed to being a sheep to marketing as anyone else, but there really is something going on with that bike, in a good way.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Mod edit: I took care of the useless banter/crap so I am removing your reference as well.

To the OP, go to the downhill forum, read and research a whole lot of posts. There is more than enough here on ridemonkey to figure out what your needs are, test ride the bikes you like, and then pull the trigger and place an order. With $5-6k you can get almost any bike out there.

-ska todd

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
hey man. welcome to the forums. great first impression huh? -_- never fails.
Anyways, sorry to hear about your bike. I saw some of them next to your car in the lot. I felt really bad for you guys. I dont know if you remember me, I was on a raw Intense Socom.
But anyways, before I offer my 2 cents, let me ask you, what type of riding are you more interested in? would you like a beefy freeride rig, or something light n more dh race oriented? that'll help big time with suggestions. Sorry to hear about your bikes once again, n best of luck with whatever you do get! hopefully we can help you out a bit

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
well, im looking to start racing this year, and im not a really big guy, so i'd like a less beefy freeride rig and more of a downhiller. i like to ride less of the drops and jumps and more of the fast open stuff and nice flowy trails, but i'd still like something that handles well off jumps and drops. my coiler with an 888 was perfect for the riding i did, it was a little on the small side, and handled similar to the sunday i rode on saturday.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
well, im looking to start racing this year, and im not a really big guy, so i'd like a less beefy freeride rig and more of a downhiller. i like to ride less of the drops and jumps and more of the fast open stuff and nice flowy trails, but i'd still like something that handles well off jumps and drops. my coiler with an 888 was perfect for the riding i did, it was a little on the small side, and handled similar to the sunday i rode on saturday.
How about a Kona Stinky? You can get the really nice model for like 4 or 5k.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
well, with 5-6k you can build up a vast selection of bikes. do you plan on buying everything new, or using any of your old parts? because you can substitute in some higher end frames or something if you have parts to already use. if you want to just buy a complete bike and be done with it, I'd say a Giant Glory would be a pretty sick rig. If you wanna build up a frame however...i'd have to tell you to get what I just got. I love mine to death (Intense Socom) and its one of the smoothest bikes ive ever ridden, and the smoothest I've owned. Not to mention you can build em pretty light too ;). Just some food for thought. There's plenty of other really nice bikes you can get too.

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
ehh, i thought about it, but as much as i liked my coiler, im looking for something other than a kona this time around. a stinky and maybe even a stab are deffinately still options though. a bike shop near my house has an 07 stab supreme for under 3k im pretty sure

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
ehh, i thought about it, but as much as i liked my coiler, im looking for something other than a kona this time around. a stinky and maybe even a stab are deffinately still options though. a bike shop near my house has an 07 stab supreme for under 3k im pretty sure
look into what I told you above :biggrin:

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
dude yea im sorry about what happened to your bike. i was talking to you when you pulled in i was on the giant faith with the white rims and fork. you deffinetly have alot of money to be tossing around to find a perfect bike. your msot likely going to want to go new considering you have the money. to be honest with you, before you commit to anything look around on pinkbike.com and other websites jsut to see whats out there. here are some good ideas though to look at, not in any specific order jsut what comes to my mind
- rocky moutain RMX
- specialized demo's
- brooklyn machine works race link
- intense socom
- devinci bikes(idk what their new line of bikes is)
- trek session 10
- trek also has a smaller freeride bike i forget the name of
- i would highly recomeend looking at the transition bikes, bottle rocket or blindside(both are SICK)
- norco team DH
- cove shocker or playmate
or i would just suggest getting a faith like me!!
check out those, you will probably find one

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
konarider - i would be building up a frame with all my parts, but once insurance gives me the money for the bike, i most likely wont be getting the bike back. its like a totalled car i guess, once they pay for it, i cant have it, or anything off of it back anymore.

road2nowhere - thanks for all the suggestions. i'm not too fond of the rmx's or any of the rockys, and i havent heard many good things about intense, customer support wise atleast. but i will diffinately look into the others.

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
oh and btw, about 4 years ago our bikes got hit wiht a muffler that was flying around the road. and we claimed insurance on it and got to keep all the bikes that were covered. even tho there was minimal damage to them all they were still covered. i dont believe they take them from you. but try it out

IAMAPRO

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
i most likely wont be getting the bike back. its like a totalled car i guess, once they pay for it, i cant have it, or anything off of it back anymore.
If the adjuster comes to your house you can ask to keep it or offer them a $$ amount to salvage what is left. The adjusted prob. wont know what it's worth, I'd start around $100 and see what they say.

I had a $1200 kyak get crushed at LAX and was paid in full, slapped some epoxy on it still use it. Also bought my '02 F250 back from ins. for $3k, they really are not gonna have a use for your wreckage.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
stop by our tent in the pro pits at the Open if you want to take a test ride on a V10. Thee official Santa Cruz All Ride tour will be there with demo bikes too. Lindsey said that Colin Bailey will have the van parked by the SRAM booth.

Like others have said. Ride as many bikes as you can before making a decision.

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
If the adjuster comes to your house you can ask to keep it or offer them a $$ amount to salvage what is left. The adjusted prob. wont know what it's worth, I'd start around $100 and see what they say.

i'm not sure if i'll be seeing the adjuster, the girl that his us was from nj, the crash was in nj, but we live in connecticut. from what i understand, everything is being done over the phone

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
jsut tell them whats its worth and be done with it. they are going to replace it in full cause thats what insurance is for. and if they dont then you sue her for hitting you. its pretty simple

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
my friend, the one who was driving the car that got hit talked to the insurance company earlier, and they estimated between 2500 and 4000...
seems a little low for a bighit with a roco and 888
and a loaded coiler

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
my friend, the one who was driving the car that got hit talked to the insurance company earlier, and they estimated between 2500 and 4000...
seems a little low for a bighit with a roco and 888
and a loaded coiler
should be higher but thas condition dependent and year dependent

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY

Let's see, just my two cents but for this description of rider, Marin Quake, weight 36 lbs give or take, approx. 7" travel, pedal friendly, drop capable, jump superior, fun level, through the roof, in a nut shell comparable to the Santa Cruz nomad only 2K less. Again only a suggestion, I should be at domination #1 and definitely be at US OPEN, you are welcome to demo my bike(after the race of course), I'll even set it up for your weight/riding style, it only takes a couple minutes to do so.:lighten: