Quantcast

New to Freeride

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by genpowell71, Sep 12, 2005.

1. genpowell71

genpowell71 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    For now, GA. When I retire from the military? CO
    I'm looking to cross over to the freeride side of the house. Any advice to give would be helpful.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BIGHIT756

BIGHIT756 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    if you are planning to jump and do stunts, stuff like that, and you haven't before...the first thing i would suggest is to purchase some pads...elbow/knee/shin....and maybe a full face helmet. chest protectors are a little over board for freeride, but if your confidence is lacking, then go ahead with the chest protector. i would start out with small stuff, and get good at that, then slowly progress to larger stunts. if you have been riding for a long time, the transition from your previous riding to freeriding should be fairly smooth.

Moving on to the bike, if not already, you might want to think about switching some parts out. Maybe beefier wheels, better fork, dual ring chain guide, or single ring if you want. if anything a bash guard to replace the top ring. make sure you cover any weak parts of your bike before beating on it too much. that should be it.

3. ioscope

ioscope Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    JUmp a lot and buy things as you break them.

4. lux

lux Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Pad up and find some freeriders to show you how it's done. Hanging with better riders has helped me immeasurably.

5. PatBranch

PatBranch Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 7
    Yeah, riding with better riders really does help you improve. Naturally, you want to push your self and try to catch up (as in go faster or go bigger).