Quantcast

New to Freeriding

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
genpowell71 said:
I'm looking to cross over to the FR side of the house, any advice would be appriciated.
Ride whatever you want... but get knee/shin and Elbow pads. A full face is a damn good idea too.

You will crash and you will break things... Welcome!

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
Specialized BigHits aren't too shabby either! Like others said, just be sure to buy the proper protective gear.........and ride within your limits!!!!!!!!!!!!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
shin guards....always, 24 stiches in my shin off a 2 foot drop taught me that. full face always for a while, until you stop falling and crashing hard a ton. Replace broken components with heavy durable stuff until you stop breaking stuff.
________
Extreme q vaporizer

Last edited:

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
don't rush into anything, if you're not ready for something you could freeze up before you hit the stunt and seriously screw yourself over. just work your way into it and build up confidence on the little things before your hucking off cliffs and dropping 8' to flat concrete.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
On a Heckler you can do alot. If you are looking for a bike to start freeriding on Transition makes some good ones. If you are looking to retrofit the Heckler you have a pretty good platform to start with(if your buddy doesnt mind). A bigger fork and some beefy rims and tires go a long way towards instilling confidence when trying more technical lines and bigger scarier stuff.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
genpowell71 said:
I have my buddy's (whose in Iraq right now) Heckler.

Ok, I got the idea about the pads
Great rig to get started on. Pads will only help your confidence so that can only help, then try to progress by working your way up.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
point your toes down when you catch air.
activly try to scare the **** out of your self
if ya ain't havin fun, stop
ride the heckler for a while, once you know your gona get into this, invest in a good bike, like a VP free or a stinky, it will make a world of diffrence. you can do a lot on a heckler, but you gotta KNOW how. when pushing your own limits it's best to be on a bike who's limits are far above yours.
ride with people who are a lot better then you if you can. it will help you progress better then a personal coach.