Quantcast

New-to-me Morewood Izimu first runs. Please help with shock setup

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Just picked up a used '07 Izimu frame that I built up with a Totem as my DH/FR bike. It's in addition to my Titus El Guapo, which is the "pedal" bike. The Morewood came with a Manitou Revox coil shock with a Ti spring (no markings, unknown weight).

I'm 6'2" and roughly 205 in gear. I ride technical rocky stuff in Arizona. Here's a pic of the build prior to today's first shuttle runs:

The bike was incredible (BTW, this is my first DH bike). Stiff frame, not too heavy, pedalled surprisingly well, very poppy and flickable. Got a total of three runs in (twice down Geronimo and once down Holbert if you happen to be familiar with South Mountain in Phoenix).

My issue is the rear shock. Just seated and riding around it feels great and I'm getting about 30% sag. On the trail however, I'm getting a solid "thunk" or "thud" from the rear shock on impact (from drops, jumps, etc.) I can't tell if it's from the initial impact (I suspect so) or from the shock rebound.

Everything is tight and I'm not getting any unusual or "broken" noises otherwise. I began with all high- and low-speed compression dialed out, the rebound just a bit back from full fast, the bottom-out setting on "2" and about 140 psi in the air chamber.

After each run, I added some slight low- and high-speed compression and slowed the rebound. Had no affect on the "thud". I suspect I'm bottoming the shock out on these hits, but I can't really tell and it's hard to re-create the scenario other than on the trail.

Any thoughts or input to solve the problem?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I had a manitou swinger 4-way, and if it went below the minimum air pressure, that "thud" noise would happen... Well, my dhx would do that too, if I remember right.. I would start by verifying that you're above the minimum pressure. Good luck, sweet ride!

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
Did you check du bushings? Also could try pulling the spring off and cycling the damper on the bike to see if it is actually bottom out making the sound.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Not sure on your thunk, but as far as shock setup I usually run just a few clicks of HSC and LSC about halfway through the range on my Izimu. I run rebound towards the middle but on the fast side.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I can't imagine any of the rebound or compression settings would cause the kind of harsh thudding I experienced.

I did talk to a rep at Manitou on the phone today. He didn't have a lot of specific input on this particular shock. I was advised the air range is 50 to 175 psi. He did provide some stuff to check, though. Appears the ti coil has some movement even when preloaded. Also, the preload is dialed down well more than halfway down the threads.

I removed the spring and it has absolutely no markings whatsoever. It's possibly not the right length or ID, though (the spring measure ~158mm uncompressed).

I ordered a steel Manitou 450lb. steel spring (I'm between 205 and 210 loaded) today to see if that's the issue.