Quantcast

New to MTB need help with a few things

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
Hi. I live in Berea Kentucky and I am pretty much a noob to mountain biking, but I know there are good trails around to ride and I really want to get with it. First of all I currently have a bike that I bought at a yard sale for in-town commuting, it is a huffy manitoba, I don't know the year, but it is in pretty decent condition, and for 3 dollars I can't beat it. But I am interested in getting an actual mountain bike for around 350 bucks (or less). I was wondering if anyone can help me find a good one in the area, or help me with things to look for. I do believe that I would like a hardtail.

My specs are:

6ft tall
Weigh 195 lbs
Inseam: my jeans inseam is 30-32 inch

Thanks ahead of time!

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
Do you have any shops near to you? It's worth it to go to a shop, ask them for help, figure out what kind of bike is good for you and then have them set you up with one. Or, if they charge too much, you can go elsewhere to get a similar bike. What kind of terrain are you riding? Do you know what the trails are like? Maybe before you buy a bike, you can post its specs here and we can help you decide which components you should probably have the shop switch out for you or replace.

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
Well for the most part the trails around here are pretty smooth, but there are some that can have pretty challenging terrain. There are a lot of up and downhill trails. Yeah I have a few LBS within about thirty miles of me, so nothing to far away. I was thinking of getting either a cannondale f7 or a giant rincon, but just because they were in the price range and had pretty good reviews.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
Well for the most part the trails around here are pretty smooth, but there are some that can have pretty challenging terrain. There are a lot of up and downhill trails. Yeah I have a few LBS within about thirty miles of me, so nothing to far away. I was thinking of getting either a cannondale f7 or a giant rincon, but just because they were in the price range and had pretty good reviews.
I mentioned switching out some components because a lot of the lower end bikes (yes low end...NOTHING for that price is going to be the best....) will have parts on them that will break eventually and should probably get replaced when the shop might do it for you at a lower cost. that's from experience. I had crappy cranks that loosened up about a year after i bought my bike and the warranty didn't cover them anymore and they cost me $100. I don't know much about those bikes, just wait till a few other monkey's reply. they'll have better things to say than me :imstupid:

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
I mentioned switching out some components because a lot of the lower end bikes (yes low end...NOTHING for that price is going to be the best....) will have parts on them that will break eventually and should probably get replaced when the shop might do it for you at a lower cost. that's from experience. I had crappy cranks that loosened up about a year after i bought my bike and the warranty didn't cover them anymore and they cost me $100. :imstupid:

Good to know

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
not having other gears to switch to when you think you need them? ...

i thought that was going to be a big issue before i tried one out ... but overall it isn't that much of an issue, esp when the trails are mostly flat or just slightly hilly ...

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
I see. Well that might be a good option then. Although the trails I ride are pretty hilly and sometimes steep hills are involved, but I can at least give them a try. I am actually going to look at a friends older gary fisher, I don't know the model, but he is letting me borrow it to trail ride tomorrow, so I guess I will check it out before committing to a SS.

Another question. If you just buy a frame, for say 100 bucks, how much money is it going to take to make it a full ride-able bike?

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
I see. Well that might be a good option then. Although the trails I ride are pretty hilly and sometimes steep hills are involved, but I can at least give them a try. I am actually going to look at a friends older gary fisher, I don't know the model, but he is letting me borrow it to trail ride tomorrow, so I guess I will check it out before committing to a SS.

Another question. If you just buy a frame, for say 100 bucks, how much money is it going to take to make it a full ride-able bike?
i just went through the bottom part you asked, it depends mostly on quality of the equipment you want ... but i would say bare min for a geared buildup including a suspension fork .. you are looking at about 900 to 1100 plus labor if you can't do it yourself.

if you shop around tho and buy up a part at a time, you can get it cheaper...

if you want to try out the singlespeed, but arnt sure, just leave a bike in the middle ring up front ... and then somewhere between the 16t cog and the 23t cog in the rear ... and just ride ... a ss will be a little bit ligher without the other gear, but will let you see how it feels on the hills and such...

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
Just got my friends bike, its a gary fisher mamba, it is fairly old don't know the year, but it is orange and black, if that helps. It is a hardtail, the suspension is really loose on it, I almost prefer my old rigid...but I haven't taken it on a trail yet, so we will see then. It is a little small for me I think, when I stand next to the bike the hole the seat goes in is just at my waist. If I buy it, it will def need new gear wires and a very thorough cleaning, its very rusty....whats the opinion on this one?

icon27

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
Longmont Colorado
test ride and then test ride and maybe do some more test rides on different bikes. Then you will find the right bike and style you are looking for. Comfort and fun is the key!!!