Quantcast

New to road bikes

cjstewart88

Chimp
Sep 20, 2007
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get into riding road bikes but I honestly dont have the money for a new bike. So I was going to try and build one up around an old Specialized Hardrock Frame and crankset. Before I take it to the local bike store for some help picking out parts I want to see if you guys think it would be a nice little road bike once its complete. Also, I wanted it to have 1 chain ring in the front and have gears in the back. If you guys can recommend any parts that would be cool, I know I need: fork, headset, stem, handlebars, wheelset, tires, chain ring for front, rear derailer, cassett, and shifter. If anyone has pictures of bikes rehauled into road bikes post them as well. Let me know what you guys think, am I stupid?

Here is a picture of what I'm working with.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
flee........run for your dear life man,,,,,,,,,stay away,

other wise you are going to shortly find your self drinking non-fat lattes during your rides and debating dura-ace over campy and then talking about grams in a huge manner. run while you can young padiwan
:rofl:

You'll be sitting in the bathtub shaving your legs thinking: "How did it come to this?"

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Shimano 105 drivetrain
Mavic XC717 wheelset

Also, I think that seat post is on backwards, so you might need help assembling? And if you're going with one ring up front, then do an internally geared hub in back.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Seatpost is in backwards..... And seriously, with all your going to spend, you can get an entryline road bike you will be far happier with.

Not that you ave a bad frame to start with, its just that building up a bike like that always costs more than you want.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Here, a List of some prices for parts

Wheels.....Rhyno lite.....95 dollars

Front derailer......105.....38 Dollars

Rear Derailer.....105.....38Dollars

Handle bars.....cheapies..... low as 35

Shifters/brake lever.....105.....160

Brakes..... lx.....30

Fork..... CHeapie steel fork ..... 50 dollars.

Cassette.....105.....30

Chain..... mid range.....25

I will list dual rings, seing how if you are going to run a single up front you would actualyl need some kind of a guide system. Might as well use at least a double

Chain rings...... about 25 a pop

Your at about 650 in parts right there, not add in anything I either forgot, or the Suprise you need this to make it all work, and your seriosuly at the cost of a Full price enrty line bike already with newer technology.

We carry Entry line road bikes starting at $749 just to give you an idea

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
A dude smoked us down here at the San Dimas Stage race in the cat 2's in the uphill TT. His time was 26 seconds off of Oscar Sevilla's; he had hairy legs. :redface:
Haha!! I am just starting to race road. While I am a sport rider on the XC bike (and getting faster) I'm a cat 5 on the road since I haven't raced road before. I should be a 4 before long. My roommate is a 3 and I'm good friends with some 3's as well as 1/2's. I have told them I'm not even considering shaving the legs until I'm a cat 3. Haha

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
A dude smoked us down here at the San Dimas Stage race in the cat 2's in the uphill TT. His time was 26 seconds off of Oscar Sevilla's; he had hairy legs. :redface:
With shaved legs he could have been within 24s of Sevilla :p