Quantcast

new to ss, which chain to use...

overtheedge

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
burbank ca.
Well, i just got back from my first ride after converting my rig to a single speed and loved it, so instead of using my current setup w/ a tensioner i would like to switch over to a half-link chain and actual ss cog (to see if i liked it and check gearing i just butchered an old mtn cog). Anybody have any time using these chains for mtn applications, pros / cons, any info would be appriciated thanks
http://www.albes.com/browseproducts/SHADOW-CONSPIRICY-V.2--INTERLOCK-CHAIN.html

overtheedge

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
burbank ca.
i know they are a little heavier, and i'm sure i will get ridiculed for this statement (being on the ss board) but weight really isn't an option. i was more interested if they were stronger and less flexy (from side to side) because of the design?

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
A few things -

If you are worrying about strength and all that why are you using a butchered MTB cog off of a cassette? In the end it will ruin your freehub body.

The chain with all half links is less "flexy" but they are pretty expensive and unless you are DJ'n or riding urban there is no huge use for them in XC. BUT if you are running them for abuse I say go for it. One of our customers lives for those things and hasn't broken one yet. (He has it installed on 3 of his bikes.)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I've been running the cheap-o sram singlespeed chain for several years now. I finally replaced my original one last September. Never had any problems and I've used it as a bashguard a few times when hopping over too big of a tree trunk. For $15 you can't go wrong.

The Ito

overtheedge

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
burbank ca.
Arsbars said:
A few things -

If you are worrying about strength and all that why are you using a butchered MTB cog off of a cassette? In the end it will ruin your freehub body.

The chain with all half links is less "flexy" but they are pretty expensive and unless you are DJ'n or riding urban there is no huge use for them in XC. BUT if you are running them for abuse I say go for it. One of our customers lives for those things and hasn't broken one yet. (He has it installed on 3 of his bikes.)
thanks for the info, you pretty much answered all the questions i was trying to ask... as for the butchered cog, that was just to see what gearing to use before forking out 30 bucks for a ss cog and finding out i needed a different size. much appriciated

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
pain said:
the link doesnt work
Care to elaborate? :confused:

If mean it didn't give you correct tension, you're right, it doesn't always work. There are other variables in play: cog size, chaingring size, and chainstay length all affect chain length/tension.