Quantcast

New to SS

Budman

Chimp
Nov 14, 2003
Seattle
Ok so im gonna start building up a azonic steelhead frame and i want it to be a single speed. i have a shimano FH M525 rear hub.. as my under standing i can just buy the spacers and then the clog to go with it and that hub will work or do i need a special hub.. if you know where i can buy these clogs and spacers please let me know..

thanks

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Any cassette hub will work. You can either use the plastic or aluminium spacers from several cassettes, pvc pipe, or buy spacers or a spacer kit to space your single cog. I'm assuming you have vertical dropouts. If so, you'll need a chain tensioner like the singelator or the convert.

Webcyclery.com has a decent selection of SS parts.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Pretty much everything mentioned above is correct. When you put the cog on, make sure you get it in a good line with your front chainring using whatever spacers you decide on. You will not need any tensioner with that frame but you may want to check into a "tug" (surly makes a nice one if you want to keep your quick release skewers) and or switching your quick release axle for a bolt on one (most shops should have an axle that will work for a few $$'s). A quick release will work to some degree for light duty work but if you are going to be jumping or something you will want a more secure wheel mounting system.

Oh, they forgot one of the most important parts...a 6 pack!!! :D

travis,

i still have that wheel, if you're interested. i think bolt-on works best with those dropouts, but a QR will work i guess. a bunch of spacers, or some 1-1/4" PVC pipe works wonders too. use the smallest cog fron a cassette and the lock ring to keep it all together. shoot me a PM if u have any more questions, i have set up about 8 SS bikes recently, and know how stuff works.