Quantcast

New to Suspension (but NOT to biking)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
:help:
Sorry ahead of time if this is pretty hashed out. And yes I have done all the searches but a good dela of the info there is pretty stale.

This spring I 'm going for my first FS bike, and could use a bit of help. First off, I'm 6'4" and about 200-210 with all my gear. I ride mostly East coast singletrack now, but I'm from Vancouver and will be going back before the bike dies. I have been riding a strictly rigid bike forever so I'm smooth enough to not be snapping componentry all the time.

I really like technical singletrack and drops. (I have done stuff that is about shoulder high to flat on my current bike, although I don't drop to flat from above 3 or 4 ft. often - with a good transition I will go quite a bit higher). I also like a bike to be responsive and a lot of the bigger bikes I have found to be really sluggish. I don't need more than 5" or 6".

I guess what I'm after is something that has enough squish to take the edge off the big hits, but still rides pretty solid. I dont want to worry that I'm going to shatter my frame everytime I try something new.

As of now the bikes I am looking at are:
Transition Preston FR (need current info from anyone who rides one of these!)
SC Heckler
Kona Coiler Dee
Banshee Chaparall (never ridden one, but it has a very high :drool: factor)

The Iron Horse 7 point series looks interesting, but really heavy (42 lbs I think) and probably too much travel for what I need.

OK, any other suggestions or input is appreciated. Thanks.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm all about an Enduro w/ a 125-130mm fork. You can use the rear flippy link thingie to change the head angle for east coast riding, and slacken it for west coast when you move. I'm 190# geared up and there's no preceptable flex. I run a '04 Marz Z1 FR w/ the QR20, DT Swiss 4.1d 32 3x frt, 36 3x rr. The stock Float RL is good for climbing, but I also bought a Romic Twin D w/ Ti spring for all around riding. It comes in around 28#, slightly lighter w/ the Float RL. Good solid ride; high on the grin factor.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Heckler will receive plenty of praise from the SC crowd. I rode this year's Coiler and I own the Dawg Primo and the Coiler was bouncy with a basic shock but handled my stuff on the DH. The Dawg is my all around bike, although I rather it had coil than air.

I want to suggest the Prophet as well. It is way lighter than every bike on this list, and is going to be the AM/FR bike of the year.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
As always, I'll suggest the Ironhorse Hollowpoint.
IMO it is the best bike you can get for the $$$.

5in travel and some NICE parts for only $1600.

I have had one for 2 years and I LOVE it.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Thanks for the replies so far. I now have a couple more questions:

1. Hollowpoint Mk III - how much abuse can the thing take? If I launch a decent drop will it snap on me? I saw a really cool FR version of one done by a guy in the Bustedspoke forum, but Ska Todd mentioned that the HP was not built for any freeriding.

2. Prophet - I had not really though much of this one, but I will look into it. The Lefty look really nice, but the price scares me. (The 1000 has a few questionable parts, and I think the 2000 is over $3K)

3. Kona Dawg - can this be run with a coil shock? Any warranty issues?

4. Specialized Enduro - the new ones do look nice, but cost might be a factor. Do you notice any problems with the interrupted seat tube design?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
rigidhack said:
Specialized Enduro - the new ones do look nice, but cost might be a factor. Do you notice any problems with the interrupted seat tube design?
GOOD GOD! $3800.00 for an '05 Enduro Pro?!?! For that price it's only an XT bike too! Jesus! Sorry, I take back my recommendation.
My frame is like the Enduro 130, last years Enduro Pro. I got it from a warranty replacement - ovalized headtube, so it didn't cost me anything to get the '04 Enduro Pro frame. However, I've been seeing a few like mine, here and there, on ebay for around $600.00 - $800.00 range. If you end up going that way, make sure you get a sales receipt as they won't warranty anything w/o a receipt anymore.
My model of Enduro Pro seems to be prone to cracking at the frame shock mount. The newer one is an unknown since it is the first model year for that design. But, it does have just shy of 1 more inch travel than mine (150mm instead of 130).

Edit: I did a quick search on ebay and found this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22679&item=7123607512&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Some dude in Santa Cruz is selling his '03 SW Enduro for dirt cheap!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rigidhack said:
Thanks for the replies so far. I now have a couple more questions:

1. Hollowpoint Mk III - how much abuse can the thing take? If I launch a decent drop will it snap on me? I saw a really cool FR version of one done by a guy in the Bustedspoke forum, but Ska Todd mentioned that the HP was not built for any freeriding.

2. Prophet - I had not really though much of this one, but I will look into it. The Lefty look really nice, but the price scares me. (The 1000 has a few questionable parts, and I think the 2000 is over $3K)

3. Kona Dawg - can this be run with a coil shock? Any warranty issues?

4. Specialized Enduro - the new ones do look nice, but cost might be a factor. Do you notice any problems with the interrupted seat tube design?
2. No doubt you are paying C-Dale prices for the Prophet. I would get the 2000 because of the SPV valving in the Lefty. But I know the customer service and quality is the for C/Dale.

3. No problems with the Dawg. I don't see why I couldn't switch to a coil if I chose, but I will keep my bike as is and save for a big hitter later.

4. The seat tube/bb is a one-piece forged unit, technology taken from the Demo 9. I rode one at the Dealer Demo, and it felt great, although there was not much to test it on except for some dirt roads and singletrack.

I can tell you the last 3 bikes will stand up to a beating. The HP looked a little light when a friend offered to sell me one. Good for a climbing type bike, but not for rough riding.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
The Heckler will receive plenty of praise from the SC crowd. I rode this year's Coiler and I own the Dawg Primo and the Coiler was bouncy with a basic shock but handled my stuff on the DH. The Dawg is my all around bike, although I rather it had coil than air.

I want to suggest the Prophet as well. It is way lighter than every bike on this list, and is going to be the AM/FR bike of the year.
seeyve all you do is bitch about how you dont like your dawg

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have a Heckler and bought it when it was first re-introduced. It is great knowing that it is still a benchmark in the 5" genre. Even after 2+ years I can't wait to get on it as often as possible. SC is hard to beat in value (if you have a LBS with stock) when compared to other higher end bikes.... IE the 5-Spot, 575, Prophet and now even the Specialized. The IH's are very nicely spec'd for the money and everyone says good things about them as well.

One more note on the Prophet, I have seen a few on the trail and I thought I was impressed. Then I saw one close up (actually a few) the other day during a LBS Holiday party/Video premier. I have to tell you I was VERY disappointed with the welding and craftsmenship. The welds are actually UGLY looking and messy up close on all of them.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
sanjuro said:
2. No doubt you are paying C-Dale prices for the Prophet. I would get the 2000 because of the SPV valving in the Lefty. But I know the customer service and quality is the for C/Dale.
BTW, the 1000 and the 1000Z come with an Alu SPV. The 900 is TPC and the 600 is Fluid flow. The 2000 comes with a Carbon SPV.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
rigidhack said:
Drops to flat = not cool for most any "trail" bike. The Mk III is a mid-weight trail bike. It can be rough housed some but I wouldn't exactly recommend hitting that 30ft step-up on it. I would recommend the Mk III for everything shy of hucks and big drops.

For 04 there was a Hollowpoint MTX variant (as seen on bustedspoke) that was a limited release. There still maybe some floating around out there. Have your local dealer drop us a line to check for availability.

-ska todd