Quantcast

New to the AM/Trail bike thing

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Just purchased a Transition Covert V2 off a friend. I primarly ride downhill so that's where most of my knowledge is. I don't know much about front deraileurs or AM type cassettes or gearing. I have a couple questions. To get the bike to where i'd like to have it, I'm going to be changing out some parts. First lets talk cassettes: what do you guys like to run? i was looking at the sram pg 990. Any good? Secondly lets talk cranksets: Im torn between two, the race face atlas AM cranks or the Shimano SLX cranks. I've heard great things about the slx cranks. Im planning on running a dual ring set up with bash in the front. Anyone have an experience with either of these cranksets? good? bad? Then i guess comes the issue of front deraileurs. Im not trying to spend tons of money switching things up. Thinking about upgrading to x9 all around and ditching the x7 or whatever is on there now (already have a rear deraileur and shifter, just need a front shifter and front deraileur). Any adivce on which front deraileur to get? Thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to get out and shred on her.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Cassette - 990's are great, I have them on a few different bikes and have never had issues. I use the 11-32 if i have 2 rings up front.

Cranks - I have had the same pair of SLX cranks on my bike for 2 years now. The hold up to plenty of abuse. I like them better than the Atlas cranks due to how easy they are to set up and get on and off. The atlas cranks are a pain but once they are set up correctly they are pretty nice. Also if you want the bike to be bling then maybe the atlas is better since they have multiple color options

Front Der - Definitely XT. You can use it with sram shifters.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Definitely going the SLX route. I like the ease of install. Similar to the saints which are super easy to work on/remove.

Are Sram FD just garabage is XT way better than an X9 FD?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Are Sram FD just garabage is XT way better than an X9 FD?
no, SRAM FD's are actually pretty nice but there isnt a big difference b/w the X7 or X9 models.
the PG990 cassettes are great and they are actually pretty light.

in place a bashring up front, you might want to consider running a "taco" style chain device since itll save a bunch of weight. MRP's new 2X is great

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I picked up the pg 990 today. Pretty stoked to get this bike together.

I believe it came with the Shimano SLX FD that is dual ring specific. People have been saying it's the way to go. Anyone have any experience with one?

IH8Rice, i've been looking at those. Also looked at E13's as well. Just seems like the lower pulleys would be suseptable to getting ripped off fairly easy. But i could be wrong.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IH8Rice, i've been looking at those. Also looked at E13's as well. Just seems like the lower pulleys would be suseptable to getting ripped off fairly easy. But i could be wrong.
they arent anymore susceptible than a LG1 and or G2 would be.
i like the 2X better then the DRS (which i have) since it doesnt use a bash ring.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Just purchased a Transition Covert V2 off a friend. I primarly ride downhill so that's where most of my knowledge is. I don't know much about front deraileurs or AM type cassettes or gearing. I have a couple questions. To get the bike to where i'd like to have it, I'm going to be changing out some parts. First lets talk cassettes: what do you guys like to run? i was looking at the sram pg 990. Any good? Secondly lets talk cranksets: Im torn between two, the race face atlas AM cranks or the Shimano SLX cranks. I've heard great things about the slx cranks. Im planning on running a dual ring set up with bash in the front. Anyone have an experience with either of these cranksets? good? bad? Then i guess comes the issue of front deraileurs. Im not trying to spend tons of money switching things up. Thinking about upgrading to x9 all around and ditching the x7 or whatever is on there now (already have a rear deraileur and shifter, just need a front shifter and front deraileur). Any adivce on which front deraileur to get? Thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to get out and shred on her.
pg990 - yes... the 34t version if you live near big mtns/steep climbs
front dr - you can go for the cheaper x7 and save $ for other parts
Bash ring vs Taco - I'd go bash... dont risk breaking your chain-guide tabs

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
they arent anymore susceptible than a LG1 and or G2 would be.
i like the 2X better then the DRS (which i have) since it doesnt use a bash ring.
Something to ponder for sure.

SOB already ordered one. Got it for 65. better than alot of places are selling it for so beats 115 any day haha.