Quantcast

New to the whole DVD-R thingy....tips please

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I just got a new PC that has a DVD+/- RW/DL. I'm pretty lost as to what i can/can't do with this thing. i just made a test data dvd for backup but i was under the assumption that i could transfer video directly from my dig camcorder to my dvd burner. what program do i need for this? i tried to use xp media center to burn a bunch of misc vids but it failed to create the dvd.
i have nero installed, is there anything better for making dvd movies?
i do a lot of vid editing, will those vids save as dvd movie file to watch on tv?

i guess i have a lot of questions as i've never really dabbled in the possibilities of DVD burning before. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
My suggestion: Get a Mac!
Apple's software makes transfering video from your camcorder to the computer and seamlessly editing it and burning DVD's a snap. My g5 is a burning beast. Plus with a few simple programs you can copy movies as well (that is if you already own a copy as renting them and burning is illegal) :nope: ;)

manimal said:
I just got a new PC that has a DVD+/- RW/DL. I'm pretty lost as to what i can/can't do with this thing. i just made a test data dvd for backup but i was under the assumption that i could transfer video directly from my dig camcorder to my dvd burner. what program do i need for this? i tried to use xp media center to burn a bunch of misc vids but it failed to create the dvd.
i have nero installed, is there anything better for making dvd movies?
i do a lot of vid editing, will those vids save as dvd movie file to watch on tv?

i guess i have a lot of questions as i've never really dabbled in the possibilities of DVD burning before. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.
we have a mini dv camera and we use pinnacle studio to "capture" and edit the video. I hear the movie maker that comes with Windows XP is pretty capable though. Check your camcorder, you will probably need a firewire card to transfer the video to your computer (then to the dvd burner). We make movies all the time - it's so much fun - and addicting!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MtnBikerChk said:
we have a mini dv camera and we use pinnacle studio to "capture" and edit the video. I hear the movie maker that comes with Windows XP is pretty capable though. Check your camcorder, you will probably need a firewire card to transfer the video to your computer (then to the dvd burner). We make movies all the time - it's so much fun - and addicting!
ya wonderful advice. Buy a $3000 computer to fix a $20 problem. :thumb:

Go download windows movie maker 2 from the windows update website. It will help you master to DVD. Basically, you need to mux the video and audio tracks, and then burn...you need to put them into a format that DVD players can read.

It can be anywhere from pretty simple, to super duper complex, depending on what you want to do.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
Nah, he doesn't need to buy a whole new computer, just exchange the old one. In the long run you wont be sorry. For a novice imovie or idvd should be just fine, but if you want to step your game up go for Final Cut Express HD

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've got the vid editing thing down.....exceeded the capabilities of moviemaker 2 long ago. dabbled in adobe and video vegas.....but i've never actually burned to dvd before.

i guess i should've looked at my vid editing program first to see what it offered in the way of burning to dvd.

so...what's a good program i can use to make copies of my current "film" dvd's?

btw, i only have 1 dvd-rw drive, the other is a cd-rom so i'd have to save the movie to my HD and go from there.

manimal said:
i've got the vid editing thing down.....exceeded the capabilities of moviemaker 2 long ago. dabbled in adobe and video vegas.....but i've never actually burned to dvd before.

i guess i should've looked at my vid editing program first to see what it offered in the way of burning to dvd.

so...what's a good program i can use to make copies of my current "film" dvd's?

btw, i only have 1 dvd-rw drive, the other is a cd-rom so i'd have to save the movie to my HD and go from there.

pinnacle will burn directly to a dvd. I also use ROXIO sometimes - the cheap version does it and it will copy discs - so I burn it once and then just copy from drive to drive.

do you mean copying real copyrighted movies? it's illegal and you can't.

(but I hear the "update" for http://www.123copydvd.com/ will do it ;) )

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Senôr Lopez said:
Nah, he doesn't need to buy a whole new computer, just exchange the old one. In the long run you wont be sorry. For a novice imovie or idvd should be just fine, but if you want to step your game up go for Final Cut Express HD
It's stupid advice. kthxbye.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Senôr Lopez said:

I don't know of any store that will "exchange" computers. :rolleyes: I am pretty sure the local apple store would laugh if he said he wanted to "exchange" his current p4 etc for a G5. Although I am pretty sure they'd do it in exchange for $2500.

Seriously, go be an evangelist in a computer forum, this isn't the place. He needs advice on how to do what he needs to do, not comments that he should "buy a mac".

How can I make my bullit ride better - get an M3. See the problem here?

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Senôr Lopez said:
Now why would he do that when there is perfectly good software such as Avid available for the PC?

And as far as going from novice to expert software, PCs are technically the better approach with different levels of Avid being available, and the top end being pretty much on par with FCP.

Any PRO editor (GF's best friend does freelance pro work, you've probably seen her work on network TV.) will tell you the mac vs pc argument is retarded and dried up, quality work can be done with both platforms. You work with what you have. The End.