Quantcast

New toy...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Picked up a Nikon D40 over the weekend at Circuit City and I'm just starting to play around with it a little. Before all you Canon lovers start bashing my choice there was some rationale behind it. I already own a Nikon 35mm SLR and have glass for that that works with the D40. I'm just a hobbyist, no need to anything high end and rather than replace the glass I have to fit a new body/mount I stuck with Nikon.

Now, on to the question...

I'm looking for an easy way to transport the camera a couple different lenses and a few accessories. I was thinking of a sling bag as they seem a little less cumbersome than the shoulder bag I have now and seem to still allow quick access to the most frequently used items. Who's using what, what do you like about it and would you recommend it?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I have 2 Lowpro bags. 1 is a slingback, the other has room for my laptop. I love them both. The Slingback is the 200 AW model, which is the mid sized one and has an all-weather cover that pull out from the bottom.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i use a much less sophisticated approach...a bike messenger bag slung across my back, w/ all my gear loosely jumbled inside.

i've never had a problem yet w/ ~7K of equipment bumping into each other.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
i use a much less sophisticated approach...a bike messenger bag slung across my back, w/ all my gear loosely jumbled inside.

i've never had a problem yet w/ ~7K of equipment bumping into each other.
People are way too worried about pampering their gear.

Have you ever seen what a pro sports photographer does to his stuff? Is the photography equivalent of gang rape by a bunch of a HIV+ cannibalistic prison inmates...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've been looking at those Lowepro slingshots too.

I've just picked up a 70-200 2.8. Is the 200 model big enough for this lens mounted?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Picked up a Nikon D40 over the weekend at Circuit City and I'm just starting to play around with it a little. Before all you Canon lovers start bashing my choice there was some rationale behind it. I already own a Nikon 35mm SLR and have glass for that that works with the D40. I'm just a hobbyist, no need to anything high end and rather than replace the glass I have to fit a new body/mount I stuck with Nikon.

Now, on to the question...

I'm looking for an easy way to transport the camera a couple different lenses and a few accessories. I was thinking of a sling bag as they seem a little less cumbersome than the shoulder bag I have now and seem to still allow quick access to the most frequently used items. Who's using what, what do you like about it and would you recommend it?
Please don't shoot the messenger, but you are aware that the D40 won't autofocus with older Nikon lenses (any that don't have AF in the lens) right? basically it won't work with any non AF-S lens, any Tamron lens, or most Sigma (the HSM will work). It's one of my main gripes about the D40, mainly because my mother has a Nikon film SLR and I can't recommend the entry level cameras to her since her lenses won't work...

If you have AF-S lenses or are willing to do manual focus, nice score!! :cheers: Picked up a 100mm f2 lens last night, but that's a story for another post... :(

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Please don't shoot the messenger, but you are aware that the D40 won't autofocus with older Nikon lenses (any that don't have AF in the lens) right? basically it won't work with any non AF-S lens, any Tamron lens, or most Sigma (the HSM will work). It's one of my main gripes about the D40, mainly because my mother has a Nikon film SLR and I can't recommend the entry level cameras to her since her lenses won't work...

If you have AF-S lenses or are willing to do manual focus, nice score!! :cheers: Picked up a 100mm f2 lens last night, but that's a story for another post... :(
Yup, I knew that going into this. Thanks.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Yup, I knew that going into this. Thanks.
Cool. Thankfully I wasn't around when Canon did their big switch from FD to EF, but I hear that there were a LOT of pissed off Canon fans. Nikon seems to be doing a slightly better job by keeping the mount the same and just ensuring that any new lenses are AF-S, but the fact that any entry-level Nikon's won't work with 1/2 or 3/4 of their lenses (and 3rd party) was enough to keep me from picking one up when I was looking for a new camera a couple years ago...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Cool. Thankfully I wasn't around when Canon did their big switch from FD to EF, but I hear that there were a LOT of pissed off Canon fans. Nikon seems to be doing a slightly better job by keeping the mount the same and just ensuring that any new lenses are AF-S, but the fact that any entry-level Nikon's won't work with 1/2 or 3/4 of their lenses (and 3rd party) was enough to keep me from picking one up when I was looking for a new camera a couple years ago...
Yeah, my wife will be using the kit lens that came with it for the most part which is good because she doesn't have the patience for learning to do it all manually, for her it'll be functioning as a really nice P&S. I don't mind working to get a decent shot on the other hand so any of the older glass, I'll be the one using.