Quantcast

new toys for the u.s. army?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I've never researched that round because the 7.62x51 in my AP4 and FAL filled that niche. I had no idea the Grendel 6.5's ballistics were that favorable. Get a few more makers on board to bring cost down and availability up and I could certainly be convinced!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Before they go moving to a new round they need to replace the Mexi-Mac and Cheese MREs to good old American Mac and Cheese. Mexicanification must be stopped.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
NOOOOOO...Mexi Mac and Cheese is awesome...there you go, hating phreeduhmb™ again. I suppose you want to take away jalapeno cheddar cheese spread too?

Should have never left the 7.62 of the M14...

(Although I wish they would worry about the actual needs of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines first before they go spending more $$ on weapons...)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Interesting to also note that the author savages the AR15/M16/M4, calling it weak, ineffective, unreliable and prone to jamming (All unfortunately true.)....and then brings up combat studies that are a century old regarding the 6mm, and wants it fired from the same AR15 platform. Proven in combat 100 years ago doesn't exactly thrill me in todays world...sabers were proven in combat back then, as was the cavalry on horseback, and I don't hear any calls to bring them to the asymmetrical battlefield.

When he states "...U.S. forces are fighting mountain battles firing uphill or across mountain ridges with such a small caliber BCW, heavier enemy AK-47, 7.62x39 mm and larger caliber rounds rain down on them." he shows an ignorance of both standing rules of engagement for Coalition forces in theater, and one of the basic tactics of fire and maneuver in the combined arms battlespace. Yes, our troops may be fighting from disadvantageous positions, and yes, the terrain favors heavier and longer range weapons...but a savvy ground force commander understands that, and is able to counter via mobility and superior firepower from indirect fire and air support.

Furthermore, his conclusions regarding his suggested replacement weapons do not take into account the military approval/purchase/supply chain, or issues regarding purchase approval or even manufacturing capability.

IMHO, the answer to his thoughts of new weaponry is twofold-
1. Dont go to war unless you are willing a go balls to the wall. Limited warfare does not work.
2. Training is the answer...not more weapons fielded by young kids who are little more then cannon fodder to our elected official. Train them better, so that when fielded they are the best military force possible, and use them less.

Entertaining and informative article, although to me the author, although surely eminently qualified, comes off as nothing more than a shill for the arms merchants.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I've never researched that round because the 7.62x51 in my AP4 and FAL filled that niche. I had no idea the Grendel 6.5's ballistics were that favorable. Get a few more makers on board to bring cost down and availability up and I could certainly be convinced!
6.5 grendel and 6.5 creedmore (ar10/sr25 platform) are not to be F'd with. Great calibers.. i just wish the grendel caliber was a little more popular in the ar platform so mags, bolts, and barrels would be easier/cheaper to come across.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
NOOOOOO...Mexi Mac and Cheese is awesome...there you go, hating phreeduhmb™ again. I suppose you want to take away jalapeno cheddar cheese spread too?

Should have never left the 7.62 of the M14...

(Although I wish they would worry about the actual needs of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines first before they go spending more $$ on weapons...)
Those guys don't give the generals 7 figure cake jobs post retirement, nor do they contribute large sums of money to political campaigns.