Quantcast

New "trail bike" rides for 2015 (No DH bikes allowed!)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah,sorry thought I had quoted you.
It is very fast. I have been off the bike almost 2 months and have beaten some of my times and come very close on others. I have ridden it four times now. It still feels taller while climbing (29r). It is very responsive not much input needed to get it to change directions!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay did a ride on lunch. Had 3 hikers on the trail one of which I came to a complete stop! My time down the 4 minute trail was 10 seconds off my fast time. So the bike covers ground rapidly. I need to make the shock more progressive I am bottoming it out a fair bit!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Awesome. Before I drop the coin on one, can I ask how you get along with the slack seat angle? Is it noticeable, or does it disappear when you actually ride it?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
It is noticeable. I haven't done any real steep climbs yet but even on gradual climbs the front wants to lift. I am on the front of the seat a bit more. Also worth noting I am running a 140mm fork so that has effect on this also. I am still fine tuning my seat position right now the post is basically right in the middle of the seat.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's really helpful. You could probably jam it forward almost an inch depending on the construction of the seat and your willingness to risk it. Thanks for the info!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Introducing... The Unrideable.

IMG_20150815_144652106_HDR-1.jpg

26" wheels? √

Crank bros dropper post? √

Crank bros pedals? √

9 speed? √

Old ass 20mm fork? √

Double barrel inline? √

If it were any more unrideable it would have kenda tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Onyx hubs on chinese carbon i30s. I'll try to write up a report and build sheet in a few days, but I'd like to get it dirty first.

The seat angle is whack, but using the reversed head on the xfusion, I'm able to keep the saddle-to-bottom bracket offset at 7", which is pretty similar to my enduro. I might be able to swap to a zero offset head and keep the distance in check, but this was thinking in advance in insure it'll be as comfortable as possible.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
if i am not mistaken, i think i read a post by @kickstand that mentioned someting along the lines of this with a slash.

might have been someone else. i dunno
I was talking about the remedy, but I had the same experience when I thought I was gonna upgrade from my fuel to a remedy, and then again when I saw a good deal locally on a remedy after I sold my stumpjumper. Something about me and the way the remedy pedals/rides just doesn't do anything for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nice bike Sandwich. What BB bearings? Does Evil press BB bearings in the frame if you ask them?

Raceface bb92 or whatever. We'll see how they do. I had fanatik bike install the BB for me.

It's beyond incredible, nothing has every picked up speed the way this bike does. Completely silent with the onyx hub. not a lot of traction out of the slaughter, but that just makes the ride more interesting.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Raceface bb92 or whatever. We'll see how they do. I had fanatik bike install the BB for me.

It's beyond incredible, nothing has every picked up speed the way this bike does. Completely silent with the onyx hub. not a lot of traction out of the slaughter, but that just makes the ride more interesting.
Where have you ridden it so far? Yeah, the Slaughter does not help much in the damp weather we have had for the last few days but it sure is a lot of fun. :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
do any of you enjoy birdwatching during trail rides?

just something i've been getting into lately

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I cracked my 2013 process and just replaced it with this:
Nice! Is that a spitty or a rune (can read the model name)? Just wondering about the coil shock, as I had a long conversation with Keith about running a coil shock on my MkI spitty, and it was a no bueno idea according to him. So it seems like the kinematics have changed a bit if that's a MkII spitty.