Quantcast

New "trail bike" rides for 2015 (No DH bikes allowed!)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
A comparison between the (S) 2004 Yeti ARC and the long 2004 DJ

H/A - ARC: 71, DJ: 69
Seat Tube - ARC: 17.5, DJ: 15.25
S/A = ARC:73, DJ: 71
Top Tube - ARC: 22.4, DJ: 23.5

Seems pretty far off to me, as was my recollection at the time. 2 degrees for a hardtail is huge in my book. Interesting enough, the stays between the two were only 0.4" longer on the ARC. The DJ always struck me as 4x bike. It was long and slack. But it came with an identity crisis from the factory as Yeti fitted them with front derailleur cable stops.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Seems pretty far off to me, as was my recollection at the time. 2 degrees for a hardtail is huge in my book. Interesting enough, the stays between the two were only 0.4" longer on the ARC. The DJ always struck me as 4x bike. It was long and slack. But it came with an identity crisis from the factory as Yeti fitted them with front derailleur cable stops.
I had the slightly newer iteration of the DJ where they lowered the TT, lengthened it a bit, etc. Bought it with the intention of racing a bit and riding DJs, but I ended up doing a ton of trail riding on it because it was so damn fun. Set it up 1x9 and it was a blast on rowdy trails.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had the slightly newer iteration of the DJ where they lowered the TT, lengthened it a bit, etc. Bought it with the intention of racing a bit and riding DJs, but I ended up doing a ton of trail riding on it because it was so damn fun. Set it up 1x9 and it was a blast on rowdy trails.
That thing was stiff as could be!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
That thing was stiff as could be!
sure was! i was rattled to pieces by the end of a long ride even with high volume tires, but the bike was a rocket. still can't believe how fun it was to corner.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. 69deg HA was slack for a DJ frame in 04 and it's stays kinda long as you say. It always struck me as more of a 4X frame too.
Hence my confusion over it's name.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
had fun for a few years riding an older-style sc jackal as a rugged ht. sucked to ride xc-type stuff, but get it in the ruff stuff/steeps w/a 36/160 on it? #baller.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I had the same yeti DJ for several years and was using it in the same way. I thought it crossed over quite well.

micgills

Chimp
Dec 7, 2015
INTENSE T275c
Hope Tech E4 Race w/ red ano calipers and red floating discs, I9 Enduros, Maxxis DHF (front) Highroller (rear), Deity 35mm stem, Diety DH bars, and Diety DH saddle. 28.7 lbs.
went2751.jpg

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
EVIL-12.jpg

The new tester she came in at 31LBS on the nose in a size XL. Kidwoo will be happy to note I now have a cement room with some wall art. Waiting on rings for the Vivid shock so I don't have much real saddle time yet....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Oh, man, what did I do?

Don't worry, i still have my 5010, and it's still way more fun than this fat thing, which is also, more useful for getting out in shitty weather than I had thought it would be.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Not a fat bike, and pretty pedestrian by this threads standards, but tis what I'm using in the slop -

Big uppers to suboptimus prime for the frame, rest of it was mainly old parts I had laying around. Was totally ready to bag on the whole hardtail thing, but fuck me silly, this thing is fun as a weekend with Lamar Odom in vegas. I hate that it has shitty, VPP 26" hoops, but it's still somehow rideable.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Not a fat bike, and pretty pedestrian by this threads standards, but tis what I'm using in the slop -

Big uppers to suboptimus prime for the frame, rest of it was mainly old parts I had laying around. Was totally ready to bag on the whole hardtail thing, but fuck me silly, this thing is fun as a weekend with Lamar Odom in vegas. I hate that it has shitty, VPP 26" hoops, but it's still somehow rideable.
Whats more impressive is that you can ride that with that ENORMOUS fork. Hardtails should only have 130-140 mm travel, tops. Your head angle must traverse a range of angles from chopper to bmx bike during a ride.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Whats more impressive is that you can ride that with that ENORMOUS fork. Hardtails should only have 130-140 mm travel, tops. Your head angle must traverse a range of angles from chopper to bmx bike during a ride.
Difficult to see it in that pic, but there is a rag zip tied to the right side of the crown...Why you ask? Because it's been leaking worse than Northwestern's defense and for whatever reason only gets about 2/3 of the travel. So it's really a win-win for me since I don't have a wallow pig 160 mm fork and my BB isn't heel scraping low! Plus, if you squint the right way, the color looks like Alabama crimson, which again, means a lot of winning.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pardon my French Sir but that absolute mess of a bicycle is winning fuck all.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Difficult to see it in that pic, but there is a rag zip tied to the right side of the crown...Why you ask? Because it's been leaking worse than Northwestern's defense and for whatever reason only gets about 2/3 of the travel. So it's really a win-win for me since I don't have a wallow pig 160 mm fork and my BB isn't heel scraping low! Plus, if you squint the right way, the color looks like Alabama crimson, which again, means a lot of winning.
roll tide

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

Been riding my Stylus routinely for 3+ years. It's an animal. Incredible bike and so much fun. Trail rides, DH trails, park riding, whatever. Finally looking to sell mine (mainly because it's a medium and I really need a large).

Picked up this dude today for a killer price. Needs some changes, but overall stoked. Can't wait to ride it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thanks. I think.

Planning on a Thomson dropper, new bars and most likely a wheelset since I will probably destroy these within six months, max.