Quantcast

New Trail Bike

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Starting to think abut replacing the hardtail, and I'd like to get back into a FS bike. For reference, my last FS bike was a Giant Trance circa 2009, which I liked quite a bit. Naturally, I'm looking at a new Trance X which has more travel than the old Trances IIRC. Also looking at the aluminum-framed Ibis Ripmo.

Thought I'd see what the Monkey has to say about 4-6" trail bikes that aren't crazy expensive (~$3,500-ish). Figure there’s some options out there that I’m not aware of, since I haven’t shopped around for a mountain bike in a long time. I'm not super picky about geometry, I just want a well-rounded bike that will handle just about everything around here fairly well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Starting to think abut replacing the hardtail, and I'd like to get back into a FS bike. For reference, my last FS bike was a Giant Trance circa 2009, which I liked quite a bit. Naturally, I'm looking at a new Trance X which has more travel than the old Trances IIRC. Also looking at the aluminum-framed Ibis Ripmo.

Thought I'd see what the Monkey has to say about 4-6" trail bikes that aren't crazy expensive (~$3,500-ish). Figure there’s some options out there that I’m not aware of, since I haven’t shopped around for a mountain bike in a long time. I'm not super picky about geometry, I just want a well-rounded bike that will handle just about everything around here fairly well.
Ripmo AF is definitely a good call if there's a build you like that hits your pricepoint. Or if that's more travel than you're looking for they have the Ripley AF too.

edit: Definitely trawl PB to see what bargains might be on their as it's towards the end of the season and as bike shops start to have too much inventory and need to clear some of it.

Last edited:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Ripmo AF is definitely a good call if there's a build you like that hits your pricepoint. Or if that's more travel than you're looking for they have the Ripley AF too.

edit: Definitely trawl PB to see what bargains might be on their as it's towards the end of the season and as bike shops start to have too much inventory and need to clear some of it.
Thanks. The Ripley looks interesting, and I'll definitely keep an eye on Pinkbike.