Quantcast

New trail rig

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
Well I am finished my Sinister Gruitr build. This is an excellent AM bike. Been loving it so far. Its light, fun and tough. Just what I needed for thrashing through our tough New England trails.

Build as follows:
36 Float RC2
RP23
X9 Setup/SRAM cass/chain
Juicy 7's 7fr-6r
Control Tech Bar/Race Face AM stem
FSA Headset
WTB Devo/FSA Post
Bontrager Big Earl Cranks(the only ghetto part on it)
Animal Pedals
DT Swiss e2200
High Rollers

Check em out. Great bunch of guys. http://www.sinisterbikes.com/

Attachments

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey buddy, what are you doing talking about bikes on this forum??? don't you know anything?

the forum is only for talking about bacon, skinsuits, sarah palin, and the proper methodology of target shooting. duh.

btw, nice bike and build.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
very nice. but i have a question that i'm sure some (ie most) of you will think dumb. what is the difference between a XC bike and a trail bike? only reason i ask is because they look pretty close to one another.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
very nice. but i have a question that i'm sure some (ie most) of you will think dumb. what is the difference between a XC bike and a trail bike? only reason i ask is because they look pretty close to one another.
IMO, an XC bike is a zero compromise hyper-efficient bike with steep geometry which puts an emphasis on light weight and forward motion vs. comfort and durability.

a trail bike generally has longer travel, better, heavier brakes, is way more durable, and is a bike that you could ride for extended periods of time without getting down with the limp bizkit, if you know what i mean.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Look at the angles of that bike and then do a google search on say something like a Titus Racer X or something and look at the angles on the Titus.

Big difference.

Heck I'd almost categorize this poster's Gruitr more as a Slopestyle/Freeride like bike than even a "trail bike."

But regardless of labels - that's a well spec'd out steed that looks like it must be fun as hell to ride.

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
I say trail because that is where it will get most of its use. I guess I could take it to a Mt and flog it for a day or two, but I have a bike for that. Not sure the RP23 would dig that, I think the 36 float could handle it. Lets just say its fun to ride up and down. Thanks.

I would def consider the Titus a pure XC, anythign with 3 rings in my book is XC. Thats why I say trail or even AM for this build. They are calling it Enduro across the pond. 6 inch airsprung.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

Great bike. I am sure you agree.
I totally agree. Fun as hell bike, accelerates well.

My only personal build critique (ie, my own fault) is that I don't like how handles with a 6" travel fork ('06 Z1 FR), can't wait to sell it off and get a 5 over the winter.

Have you run the bike in the bigger travel setting yet?

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
I run it in the 6.5", I have the 36 float which is the 6". I dont mind it. This bike gets use doing a bit of jumping too. For a 6" trail bike its just what I need. If I could lower the float I would try it in 5" fr & r but it doesnt have that with the air fork. I have been on an 05 Stinky 66RC2X/DHX5/Outlaws, your standard FR Rig, as my only bike, I ride mostly trails, so this was a needed upgrade. The poor stinky will see a drop of in use.