Quantcast

New trails and stunts for Twenty-Ten

DhUrbaner

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
For the people who ride platty, what things would you guys (and gals) like to see built for 2010? Its going to be a long winter so think long and hard!

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
a hotel with a pool and a bar
this/end thread...

plattekill isnt a place for built up highland style trails/drops/ramps berms here and there are really fun, but no keep it how it is! maybe just a lil better trail marking system, but then again. there are SOOOOOOOOoo many its almost impossible.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Resurrect some of the old-school, cornhole clenching, oh-sh*t factor, fall line trails that made the place infamous. I remember accidentally going down some crazy-steep chutes and rockgardens that were overgrown in 2004. Now they are all but completley gone (Senior, a little location help here since you are the godfather of Platty). Then throw in some man-made TLC to keep it flowing all the way to the bottom. I like the DS course on the triple side. Keep it rollable for all categories but make the doubles and step-up/step-down a lot bigger and more define for the pro/ex riders. All in all its a great course as is, nice and fast, easy to spectate, and fun,fun,fun!

ride4fun

Monkey
May 23, 2008
Long Island
the new freeride section is pretty dope. I guess adding something like that course. the Maxxis drop used to be the bomb, but now looks like trash...would like to see that back in action. Everything has such a natural flow, but I would add better transitions on some of the drops, if at all possible. and YES, the bar on the second floor should be open with $3 beers - long over due with those long HOT summer days

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
I like Plattekill the way it is... But some general TLC to older trails would go a long way. Also, new features on the mountain are always fun, but they never seem to out live the classics.

Showers.... they can be as ghetto as the bathroom stalls and run off of ice cold well water, as long as they don't smell like diesel.

Bar open, yes.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
There are so many over grown trails on the triple side. They need to be cleared up and maintained through out the summer. There have been so many trails lost to the the platty jungle. The new stuff is great but I would like to keep the platty trails pretty natural and not turned into diablo

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
More triple side days, and therefore trails. MARKED beginner friendly trails. Would be nice to have easy trails to take people down or just go WFO on, but not have to search around for. Trail markings and maps are always good, too.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the head man of Delta House will have a new position as head of mountain biking/trail building next year...there are great things to come in 2010!

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I would love to see more triple side trails cleared out. I know they are there but just unrideable at this point. By what i saw today riding there is going to be a LOT of clearing that is going to have to happen next spring even on just the trails that have been used this year.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
any chance of getting buffed style trail a la alpine and anything at highland?

I loves me some berms at highland, but since the mountain is flat I get tired of pedaling. Some pumpitude would be swell, maybe right in the middle so it's accessible by both peaks.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
yeah its kinda impossible to have those buff trails at pkill, but thats not what pkill is about. they are fun but not pkill like. the small berms are awesome and fun but yeah not pkill

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whoa ladies, I'm talking about making plattekill MORE fun. Having an extra trail will not make plattekill LESS fun.

Those trails are great for warming up your arms, your brakes, and just having some fun. If anyone can tell me the section that already exists midway down the mountain (large "landing drop" into a small table with berms on either side is NOT fun, then I'll be really surprised. Yeah it's not a paved trail like some trails at highland, but it doesn't have to be to be fun and fast.

Why wouldn't you want more people coming to platty and more options available?

I actually think well built wooden stunts is not what platty is about, but you built them anyways. Usually everything there looks like it'll not only break you when you fall, but also give you tetanus.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
What makes platty great is single tract next to tree,roots and shale. The last thing needed is tearing up the mountain and turning in to Diablo. Platty needs the old trails cleaned up and maintained through out the summer. The place has been open for almost 20 years there are allot of trails grown over which just need to need cleared out and used. The last thing platty needs is a buffed style trail a la alpine. Plattys a mountain for big boys with big bikes.

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
i would like to see a fourth stall added to the bathroom... oh trails. sorry. This year was amazing. Hands down the Delta house crew stepped it up a notch... a peg... and leap. Loved all the race courses. Keep building them just like that. More high speed = :)

DhUrbaner

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
Im with sandwich, I will personally be building a tight bermy jump line. Unfortunatley the triple side will accomodate this style trail . 90% of the trail will be hand built. As far as the existing trails, All the race coarses from this year will be fine tuned a little further. Any trail that gets re- cut will be thought out so not to have to many trails in 1 area. Upkeep on all those trails are impossible for the amount of riders that show and ride these trails. Platty can and will have anything I can dream up and get done. keep the ideas rolling. More info. sandwich....I'll make it the way you like it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Unfortunatley the triple side will accomodate this style trail .
how do you mean, exactly? Only accessible by the triple chair?

I think a trail like that could be fun and it doesn't have to lose plattekill's natural character (ie rocky death). It would be great if it could be right in the middle, with lines leading to it from either peak.

I think the strongest suggestion I have is better marked trail, both in name and location, and actual trail. Lots of trails braid, which I think can be fun (read: choose your own adventure) but I think having a well-indicated main line could benefit newcomers and old crusties alike. I have no clue how to get to the trail with all the new drops on it, but somehow I can manage to get there, sometimes. For people who don't have it memorized, being able to get there would be an asset.

Also, a good way to get trail workers is to offer free passes for a later date if they pitch in for a full day. Worked for me for highland, would be happy to do the same for platty, but I might get a season's pass this year. If you organize a thread, I'm happy to offer local bostonites a ride out to help with the trailbuilding.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
yeah something simple as painting the tree's w/ different colors/stripes of colors to mark trails would be helpful. I too have trouble getting to the double side "jump" run sometimes and few other classics even tho i've been there for 10years.. just so many trails to keep track of!

I would suggest removing all things on the mountain that hurt when you run into them.

Line the drops with pretty girls to catch me when I eat Sh!t.

Maybe fashion some trails for those of us that like a few beers...something that doesn't require any kind of use of reflexes, or skill in my instance.

Instructions posted on a tree for riding off of that wood thing next tot he Maxxis drop into the old 4x course.

Seriously, I don't like anything man made, but I would like to see some kind of progressive table top jumps to play on and practice on without the risk of planting myself on the backside of the landing.

A few years ago they had that on the bunny slope which is probably where i belong anyway.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
trail marking for sure the first time there every trail looked the same, like dhjunkie said i still have a hard time finding some trails.
make the jumps on the double side BIGGER

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
there was someone on RM that made us a whole bunch of killer signs for the more popular trails...hopefully theyll be wiling to make up some more of them.