Quantcast

New trails in the works at Japanese Gulch

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
Chase is back in the game and laying out a few new trails on the lower west side below the proposed construction zone for the projected industrial park.

C.C. has played a major roll in developing and building most of the trails in this area by organizing weekly trail building groups. He has been somewhat out of the game this past few years but I ran into him yesterday as he was working the trails on the Boeing side…he was rerouting the upper trail closest to the Boeing fence line (east of and above the sand pit). NOTE: The main entrance that starts off with the rotted bridge is blocked off so riders will have to access it a little further south across the ridge trail that heads to the jump area.

If anyone would like to join C.C. in some upcoming trail building events, contact him in person or contact Scott at Bike Works in Lake Stevens for more information.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Nice, I havent ridden in the gulch in a little while, but I've been seeing a lot of XC bikes coming from that area, I dont suppose this Scott guy (oddly enough thats my name, and I live right next too the gulch) keeps his XC bike on the roof of his car?

Glad to hear people havent completely given up on the gulch. I personally have been waiting to see what the deal is with the whole industrial thing.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
MB I drive an old Toyota pick up.

I'll try talk to Chris on Sunday at a work party at the tree farm and see if have has any dates and times for work parties at the Gulch

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I dont suppose you have a rack in the bed of your truck? I've seen several Toyotas as well.

I drive a '98 red Dodge Caravan with a large sportworks bike rack and small thule rack on top.

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
Email I just received but have not been able to validate it...

'I have a good friend who is a director of land use planning for a private company. He was talking with a group from Mukilteo and rumor has it that there will be no development at the Japanese Gulch. When I asked him why he said it was for “archeological reasons”. I think some native American artifacts were found. Anyhow, that’s the rumor of the day.'

Ha! Wouldn't that be a bitch if someone threw out a proposal to preserve it as a historical landmark...which I pray wouldn't equate to the end of biking in the area altogether. :disgust1:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Email I just received but have not been able to validate it...

'I have a good friend who is a director of land use planning for a private company. He was talking with a group from Mukilteo and rumor has it that there will be no development at the Japanese Gulch. When I asked him why he said it was for “archeological reasons”. I think some native American artifacts were found. Anyhow, that’s the rumor of the day.'

Ha! Wouldn't that be a bitch if someone threw out a proposal to preserve it as a historical landmark...which I pray wouldn't equate to the end of biking in the area altogether. :disgust1:
I'm not sure if I like this...or not.

Good the gulch COULD be saved, bad if we can't ride in it anyhow.

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
Another email from one of the active participants in 'Save the Gulch'...

"Ok I can’t stand it and my hopes are now up, Michaels good rumors appear to have been a good omen. I just received an e-mail from the Cascade Land Conservancy that they have been contacted by the primary land owner of the Gulch. Apparently the developer has terminated their contract and the land owner is now entertaining other possible offers, which they are happy to have include the Save Japanese Gulch Group and possible conservation options available through the CLC.

The developer cited access issues and costs as the primary reason for termination of contract (not Bens arrow heads). Apparently the developer is still interested, however I suspect they are dropping the price they are willing to pay for the land, which is the reason the owners are happy to entertain other offers from groups like SJG and the CLC.

Fortunately our group has met with a realtor last week and set these wheels in motion. The state legislators from our district are already informed and aware that we are now a go for writing offers and raising funds. Look for a fund raiser soon and consider a donation to a tax deductible Save the Gulch Group or CLC in the near future."