Quantcast

New Transition Slopestyle Bike: The BottleRocket

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
almost forgot. i have a 160mm Fox 36 VanR. it is plenty of fork for the bike. 170 will make it feel like a dh bike, for sure. 150 would probably be better for an all-around feel.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Every time I am at his house, I find myself walking out there to look at that picture.
Isn't that the calander that is from 2002 or something like that? That calender has made it through 2 other garages to make it to the current position. Always stuck on the same month. :banana:

BTW what is this bike you all are talking about? :huh:

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004
here she, thanks to will and the rest of the guys at Fanatik cycles in the PAC NORWEST, washington to be exact, they got me a frame when no one else could and they treated like a long time local customer even though the only interaction i had with them was done all over the fone and email...big ups to Will...

i know the light is bad but i think that the sh1tty lighting actually accents the pink (my lady calls it lilac, whatever)...here she is...

alesand

Chimp
Feb 14, 2007
Hi guys,

I just recently sold my Sx Trail II -06 frame, just to buy the new babyblue -07 one. After have sold my -06:er I was stoked n called the dealer... Baaaad answear..: The frame is sold out, n they cant get it from anywhere..! Aaaaargh, have never been so mad at myself..!

Anyway.Now I am looking around for a new baby. Today I got my eyes on the BR, n am almost in love (on valentines day n all...). It is just that... Have no clue on this one..!
Want an allround bike, but more of a "going down hills" bike than "pedalling 100 KM/day"-bike. Also am a fan of single trails, n am just simply a bit old for throughing of 7:s, dubble frontflips, triple spin flips (... ;)) in the dirtkickers, want to have fun in the park though!

So... Guys, is the Bottle Rocket something for me after the Sx..? Have any of you gone from Sx -> BR ..?! Would be cool to hear the difference n all.
Btw, am ~180 cm n ~70 kg (you do the maths) rode a size M Sx, n will go for a M BR. (..?)

Thx for all your help!
/the Swede

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
^^^and i thought my typing was bad.

ohh nice bottlerockets guys. ive got a good friend up in boone nc who is about 2 months away from his dream build. so maybee if we ever get shots of it ill post them up for all to drool (including myself).

alesand

Chimp
Feb 14, 2007
@ frznnomad

?? meaning me, the poor swedish guy ??
If so, din lilla amerikanska räka. Begging for mercy on my barest knees... But english aint my mother language, so prob have made (n makes) lots of misstakes.

So, anyway. Please ignore it n give me some good answears on my questions... Am in desperation... The season begins soon..!

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Here's mine. Am running the front at 160mm, but can take it up for the bigger stuff...

Popped her cherry today, she's fun! This thing can pedal!

alesand

Chimp
Feb 14, 2007
the raw and white combo looks awesome!!!

by the way, anyone notice how similar sweedish and SB-Kid look on the screen?
First of all. Yea, the raw+ white mix is just awesome! :clapping:

Then... SB-Kid, is that some strange slang..? Or...?
I can write you some more swedish if you want... ;)

But... I am still super confused in which direction I want to go concerning a new frame... The Sx was a dream for me... Can the BR do the same, with only 5.5"... :hmm:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They have a different feel. The Bottlerocket is more of a DJ feeling bike where as the SX feels like a mini-DH bike.

alesand

Chimp
Feb 14, 2007
Thx thats was what I was guessing... It looks frecking good n smooth though... Well... Time will tell... It might be a Bullit -07, or Reign -07 or BR -07 or maybe even a HT till the Sx -08 comes out of the closet... Or Demo 7... Or Glory... Or, or, or...

These bikes are a bit different, I know... Hmmmmm

Well, now this subject is about Bottle Rocket, not which bike I'll buy..! So: Grab your pencils!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The Bottlerocket feels really really good though. It holds a line well, it's just not quite as DH as the SXT.

Maybe check out a Morewood Shova LT?

The Bottlerocket feels really really good though. It holds a line well, it's just not quite as DH as the SXT.

Maybe check out a Morewood Shova LT?
So if you already have a DH bike would the BottleRocket maybe with a fox 36 make a good all round bike (trail/xc rides, DJ, freeride)?? I really like the sx trail as well and I know it pedals well. Does the BR pedal as good as the SX???

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i like my BR as an all around rig and i run it with a 36. i cannot comment on how it compares to the SX as i have never ridden one. i can say the BR pedals well when seated, but the front end comes up with you stand and hammer because of the short chainstay. the way to go with this is a DHX 5.0 rear as the propedal helps tons. i would also say to consider a TALAS 36 as the front end can be a bit much with a 36VAN on the more XC trails. i rigged mine with a pike on the front and the lower/steeper front end made it feel more fun on the smaller quicker stuff.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well I rode Mandown's large for just a short bit. I'm 6' and even the large was a pretty small and compact bike. I don't think I'd want to climb too much on it, but it gets it done.

The BR pedals really well. It's suppossed to be run a bit stiffer than the SXT because it's got less travel, so that's part of it. I thought it pedaled better, but it could just be because of spring rate.

Personally, I think it would make a good DJ/FR/short trail ride bike but if you want to do big epics and still FR something more like an Enduro or Reign would be better because of weight and a longer ST for more post extension.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
that's funny that you think it was compact. i think it does at times. however, it is long enough (TT and ST) for me to be comfortable with on long rides. when standing, the bike feels like it gets longer since it has a steep ST angle. however, when things get faster, the bike feels like it gets shorter.

also keep in mind that my bike is set up with a 30mm stem and low 1" rise bars. a 50mm and 2" risers will make a big difference. i also have narrow bars to make the bike feel smaller. running wider bars will help stretch things out, though it won't change the wheelbase.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I forgot about the stem. It just felt small coming off my Demo, but I guess that's to be expected. :D

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
This Bottlerocket is 100% ripper plain and simple.
It terrorizes trails, carves corners, destroys DH and climbs like a cat.
Only thing I don't care for is some people hype it too much.:twitch:

bottomline: I think that if you buy it & ride it for a while, you'll see. Solid little bike that has plenty to offer.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Weenies...of course the seat goes down. Has a QR...

Took her shuttling yesterday, I'm very impressed! Does everything, and does it well.
My only concern is the DHXAir goes through its travel sort of quick off of the bigger hits. Heard about a mod, to fill the reservoir up with some grease to improve progressivity a bit. Will try that...

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
zahgurim- i used ATF instead of grease to make my dhx air ramp up, I put just barely over a cap full(quart of ATF size cap) in the air chamber and it is perfect. I think the ATF is better than grease as it will keep the shock lubed up better.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
TOTEM UPDATE

Just so everyone knows, I installed my 1 1/8" Totem last night on my bottlerocket using reduction cups. Went in like a charm...even with the inset bearing, the mission control knobs clear the down tube by almost an inch...

I will post pics when i have a chance to take some.

_Bill