Quantcast

New Trek 4X bike

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Anybody see what looked to be a new Trek 4X bike at the NORBA National this last weekend? Gray ano'd frame with silver rocker?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Yeah, I saw a burly looking Trek rolling around the event. 1.5 steerer, big seatstay/link pivot. Looked like a lot more travel than a 4X bike though. Maybe we're talking about two different bikes..:think: :) Looked like a Kona stinky, but a really nice take on it.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
As far as Trek 4x bikes go, however, did anybody happen to see Wade Bootes' bike at Sea Otter? Ugly-ass pink camo Fuel with a rear thru-axle and some mega-burly gussets. Pretty weird.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Originally posted by dexterq20
As far as Trek 4x bikes go, however, did anybody happen to see Wade Bootes' bike at Sea Otter? Ugly-ass pink camo Fuel with a rear thru-axle and some mega-burly gussets. Pretty weird.
I didn't see the bike, but I thought it was pretty funny when Greg Minnar checked him hockey player style off of the top of the berm in the first corner!:p

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by MtnbikeMike
I didn't see the bike, but I thought it was pretty funny when Greg Minnar checked him hockey player style off of the top of the berm in the first corner!:p
I remember that... and felt it too...

Dylan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2002
San Diego area, California, USA
Originally posted by MtnbikeMike

that was actually Mick Hannah who knocked Bootes off (because Bootes jacked Mick at the start) payback's a bitch!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Dylan
that was actually Mick Hannah who knocked Bootes off (because Bootes jacked Mick at the start) payback's a bitch!
Eh... don't think so. If you look at the pic, you can see the dude in the yellow jersey riding the blue hardtail (definitely a Haro factory bike) has his foot off the pedal, and he's also the closest to Bootes, so I think it's safe to assume that he's the one who made contact with Bootes and knocked him off course.

Now think back to that fateful day...

Mick Hannah was not wearing a yellow jersey. He was wearing a blue, white, and black Thor moto outfit (long sleeves and pants).

So therefore (and also because I say so), it was Minaar who knocked Bootes, and the proof is in the photo.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Eh... don't think so. If you look at the pic, you can see the dude in the yellow jersey riding the blue hardtail (definitely a Haro factory bike) has his foot off the pedal, and he's also the closest to Bootes, so I think it's safe to assume that he's the one who made contact with Bootes and knocked him off course.

Now think back to that fateful day...

Mick Hannah was not wearing a yellow jersey. He was wearing a blue, white, and black Thor moto outfit (long sleeves and pants).

So therefore (and also because I say so), it was Minaar who knocked Bootes, and the proof is in the photo.
Yup, I'm an idiot. I just checked the results at www.seaotterclassic.com, and Dylan is right. That ain't Minaar, it's Mick Hannah. I guess my memory must be fading with my old age. :D (And for those of you who are wondering, I'm only 19. Scary, huh?)

Dylan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2002
San Diego area, California, USA
oh boy....here we go...

first off I'm pretty sure i know my riders...i sponsor both the Haro team and Greg Minnaar...who no longer rides for Haro (Greg rides for HONDA this year. his kit is Red, White, black,& bits of yellow.)

In fact, Greg wasnn't even at the Sea Otter, or even in North America at the time.

Mick Hannah WAS INDEED wearing the Yellow Leader's Jersey since he WON the Downhill & Slalom. He was wearing the Blue/White/Black thor kit during practice only. (check out my site if you need proof)

Mike King was wearing the Thor Kit during races, and occasionally wore the new Haro jersey.

I was also standing right there when the hit occured.

any other "fact" you want me to knock off....the berm! haha ;) :D

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
Yup, I'm an idiot. I just checked the results at www.seaotterclassic.com, and Dylan is right. That ain't Minaar, it's Mick Hannah. I guess my memory must be fading with my old age. :D (And for those of you who are wondering, I'm only 19. Scary, huh?)
Hey, contrary to what everyone says - college makes you dumber not smarter...... :think:

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Saw somepics of that new Trek freeride bike last week, Andrew Shandro was riding one.
From what I know it is a very early proto and will unlikely be ready for public consumption till 2006.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
That Trek WILL be available for the '05 model year. The diesel was always expensive due to the fact that they never made many. Production on this bike will likely double or triple the numbers of the diesel which should keep the cost reasonable.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Tenacious Doug
Saw somepics of that new Trek freeride bike last week, Andrew Shandro was riding one.
From what I know it is a very early proto and will unlikely be ready for public consumption till 2006.
It looks like they realized that the Liquid just wasn't cuttin' it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it for sale in '05. Trek's design facilities can go from CAD design to frame in less than 48 hours. Its not like the old days where each evolution of the design took weeks/months to priduce.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Repack
It looks like they realized that the Liquid just wasn't cuttin' it.
The Liquid was just a reinvented beefed up Sugar +/Fuel design where the chain stays were still designed to "Flex" as part of the travel :dead: I loved my Sugar, but that design had no place in longer travel bikes of any kind.

With it being a Trek you can be assured it will be competitively priced and although slow at times they do stand behind their warranty.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
It looks like they realized that the Liquid just wasn't cuttin' it.
Not really, this is filling a hole that Trek previously didnt have a bike in.......long travel freeride. The Liquid is an all day riding trail bike, not a freeride bike so I dont think its a case of it "not cutting it". For what it is designed for the Liquid is a great bike.

That Trek WILL be available for the '05 model year.
Thats not what I was told from what I would consider as a reliable source. Not saying faultless but its someone you would expect/hope to know these things.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Thats not what I was told from what I would consider as a reliable source. Not saying faultless but its someone you would expect/hope to know these things. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wait and see.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Originally posted by Dylan
damn...yah, u beat me to it. u posted as i was typin....call it a draw
There's no freakin draw's in mountain biking, just for that you both lose and I win.
Draw's are only possible in Tee ball when your coach now's your team sucks but say's you tied the game.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
The Liquid was just a reinvented beefed up Sugar +/Fuel design where the chain stays were still designed to "Flex" as part of the travel :dead: I loved my Sugar, but that design had no place in longer travel bikes of any kind.

With it being a Trek you can be assured it will be competitively priced and although slow at times they do stand behind their warranty.
Thats what I was getting at. At least they gave the Liquid bearings. I also agree that the Ice looks like it is filling the gap between the Liquid and Diesel lines.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well the Trek is 7 and 7
its called the Ice 77.
lame...
it sure is Fugly.

it looks like David O is there in the pic?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by DHS
it looks like David O is there in the pic?
Eh.... how can you tell? All I can see is a couple legs and an arm or two. Unless you're into guys legs, then that's none of my business... :D

Feb 24, 2004
Greenville, SC
hmmm who is this los jefes guy? if i have a guess and if i'm right then whatever he tells ya is golden since trek writes his paycheck....but maybe its not who i think.....

the liquid is gone, but you didnt hear that from me....

Feb 24, 2004
Greenville, SC
after checking los jefes' profile, i am pretty darn sure that it is in fact who think it is based on his occupation and "interests" listed.....i.e. tech rep and beer

anything this guy types in about a trek is pretty solid info....