Quantcast

new Trek 6500 advice for xc

kevomcenzy

Chimp
May 17, 2004
Hie
I got myself a trek 6500 after saving up for ages :D was this a good choice for general cross country riding . I do alot of uphill gravaltracks and a good bit of downhill trials. I think the bike is great for climeing becaus it sooo light any thoughts on upgrades for my bike . The fork a bit lame rockshox pilot sl c it very stiff so good for uphill but i find my hands get sore on downhill trials any advice on a good shock with a stiffing option for uphill or somthing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Does your fork have a preload adjustment on it (Knob on top of one of the legs that sets how "squishy" it is)? Try adjusting that, it will soften it up a bit and make it more comfortable.

By "stiffening option" (Sounds oh so sexual) do you mean lockout? A lockout equipped fork is probably going to run you at least 300 bucks if you find a good deal. What kind of riding do you do, just general XC?

kevomcenzy

Chimp
May 17, 2004
i do a bit of downhill but nothing to harsh the odd dirt jump here and there but mainly xc the lockout feature sounds good but it snt essential i just want a good xc fork

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Whats your budget, and how concerned are you with weight? A Manitou Black with 80-100mm adjustable travel sounds like it would work for you. You could try looking into the Marzo MXR/EXR, or even Marathon S, and if you're rolling in cash (At the tune of 600 bucks) look at Fox, they have the best forks around, but once more, extremely pricey.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey man Rock Shox makes forks that are not very stiff at all. They are behind the times in that respect.
One solution you may want to look into is finding if you have the correct spring in that fork for you wieght. Usually they put a spring in any of their forks for a 160lb person.
A good way to find a stiff fork is to get in front of the bike, hold the front wheel inbetween your knees and reef on the handlebars side to side to see how much flex you have. The less the better.
Getting an air fork is a good idea now (air forks used to suck), because you don't have to worry about springs you can just set the pressure for your weight and go. If you do decide to get another fork definately look at the Fox Talas and the Marzocchi Marathon forks......

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Aren't Pilots halfassed air/coil forks? I saw a guy a few months ago with one and he said it was "air assist" or something, maybe its like the preload on the Marzo DJs?

kevomcenzy

Chimp
May 17, 2004
Tanx for advice it will take me a whle to save up though took long enought to bye bike. But at least my current forks never bottem out but only have about 60-70 mm traval . ;)

kevomcenzy

Chimp
May 17, 2004
Tanx for advice it will take me a whle to save up though took long enought to bye bike. But at least my current forks never bottem out but only have about 60-70 mm traval . ;)