Quantcast

new trek DJ frame

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
well, It looks like trek is moving in the right direction with all of their freeride stuff.
http://bikemag.com/gallery/trek_session_88_release_gallery/

yeah, that new session 88 looks sweet but look at the cam's new dj whip. It looks like its going the same direction as most of the other aluminum DJ frame manufacturers (kona, banshee, santa cruz) looks like a big improvement at least.

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
I actuauly like the idea of the e2, a larger bottom cup to take the higher load.

and yeah it kind of does look like the stp and chase but appears to have a higher bottom bracket than both of those bikes. the chainstays seem short, but not crazy short, I don't know just looks like a good evolution. Im sure it's built to cam's specific geometry, but I think that was the case with the jack too.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Dont you need a fork with an e2 specific steerer tube for that e2 **** though? Or can you just run a step down 1.5 to 1 1/8th headset?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this may not be the place for this discussion, but does it irritate anyone else that the big name companies, who ignored niche markets like dh, dj, and freeriding are now jumping on the bandwagon? The vast majority of innovation and soul in these markets come from small boutique companies which can more readily adapt to rider feedback. But now the conglomerates, who sat in the corners as these niches grew, are trying to cash in on these markets. They're making the money that I personally feel is more deserving elsewhere, for the sheer fact that they have more capable large scale manufacturing.

Granted, its a double edged sword, since they are able offer quality bikes at a more affordable price point. Which in turn makes the sport more accessible to more people. At the end of the day, when there are more mountain bikers, we all win.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
this may not be the place for this discussion, but does it irritate anyone else that the big name companies, who ignored niche markets like dh, dj, and freeriding are now jumping on the bandwagon? The vast majority of innovation and soul in these markets come from small boutique companies which can more readily adapt to rider feedback. But now the conglomerates, who sat in the corners as these niches grew, are trying to cash in on these markets. They're making the money that I personally feel is more deserving elsewhere, for the sheer fact that they have more capable large scale manufacturing.

Granted, its a double edged sword, since they are able offer quality bikes at a more affordable price point. Which in turn makes the sport more accessible to more people. At the end of the day, when there are more mountain bikers, we all win.

This is new how?

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Trek needs to get off it's ass and release a Cam McCaul slopestyle bike. There are a million dj bikes out there, but he's the hottest slopestyle rider out there and they are taking waaay too long to get in that market.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
LOL at the slopestyle course comments. great stuff.

good lookin bike. makes sense that they mite actually have a dialed DJ bike since Cam's been riding for them for the past few years. some sort of short travel fully with Cam's name on it would make sense too, maybe a 5" travel Session of some sort?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I've killed a couple of suspension forks where they steer tube meets the crown.
E2 might help that, if the steerer is bigger at the base. (not just the bearing)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I agree w/ Sitting Duck and cully - The E2 makes sense especially for those types of bikes Trek is launching. I've had 1.5" HT bike and liked them but always thought having it up top was overkill and never looked good if you were running an 1 1/8" stem. Would I want a 1.5 lower on my USB - definitely not - but for those longer travel rigs I don't think it would be a bad move.

IDK, I'm usually one to pick at the big names - but that line of Trek's look pretty good. I see where JonKranked is coming from - but I also think about how many Specialized's P's and Giant STP's I've seen getting use and then a year or so later those same people getting a better bike. That Trek HT DJ bike has some nice lines - if they could get it out at a good price - then that's a good thing.