Quantcast

New Trek Session 88 DH and FR version

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Looks great, enjoy!

Mine is coming...here's a sneak peak...

Cheers! :cheers:
Can you hang this sucker off a scale and take a picture again? Just to end those discussions about if it is the lightest frame out there or not. :cheers:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
M, Steel Spring, with rear axle
Wow, that is about 100-150 g lighter than the Socom! Guess the shorter stroke shock is part of those weight savings. Too bad that they are 83/150 mm. With the cranks and rear hub you end up at the same weight as the Socom because you can't use XC parts. :disgust1:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wow, that is about 100-150 g lighter than the Socom! Guess the shorter stroke shock is part of those weight savings. Too bad that they are 83/150 mm. With the cranks and rear hub you end up at the same weight as the Socom because you can't use XC parts. :disgust1:
you can use xtr cranks on there (check the sunday thread, there is a pretty detailed set of instructions on how to set up xtr cranks for 83mm, and I think theres a set of xt cranks designed for touring that you can do the same thing to). Likewise, hope 150mm hubs are fairly light, not as light as some xc hubs but pretty reasonable.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Still the lightest one is Liteville 902 not trek. I think it was 2.9kg without the shock with 170-200mm travel.
I wonder how durable will be the trek. I like light bikes but soccom wasn't a bike for ppl who pushed their bikes and this is even lighter. I.d rather go + 0.5kg on the frame and be stress free.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Still the lightest one is Liteville 902 not trek. I think it was 2.9kg without the shock with 170-200mm travel.
it's the 901 from Liteville witch has 2 travel option off the frame a 170mm and 200mm travel model with the fox DHX 5.0 air.My lbs is gonna sell these 901's and a test model,the test model is gonna be the 170mm travel bike and will feature the hammerschmidt,Formula R1's and fox 40 with a very ligth setup good for 14kg or less.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I wonder how durable will be the trek. I like light bikes but soccom wasn't a bike for ppl who pushed their bikes and this is even lighter. I.d rather go + 0.5kg on the frame and be stress free.
I wouldn't count the Liteville as a full-on DH race frame. I might be wrong.

And I don't know man, I push the Socom hard and I know some other riders that do too and for a frame that light it holds up pretty darn well. That said I can see riders that are 200+ pounds or are hard on bikes can run into durability issues. But they normally don't buy a lightweight frame in the first place.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wouldn't count the Liteville as a full-on DH race frame. I might be wrong.

And I don't know man, I push the Socom hard and I know some other riders that do too and for a frame that light it holds up pretty darn well. That said I can see riders that are 200+ pounds or are hard on bikes can run into durability issues. But they normally don't buy a lightweight frame in the first place.
It's not only the weight issues. Some ppl are just hard to their bikes. I for once bail a lot and when I do it's hard. A bit burlier frame (don't mean bikes like glory or other 13lbs frames I'm rather for the 4.5-5kg range) just gives me room for mistakes and crashes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
you can use xtr cranks on there (check the sunday thread, there is a pretty detailed set of instructions on how to set up xtr cranks for 83mm, and I think theres a set of xt cranks designed for touring that you can do the same thing to). Likewise, hope 150mm hubs are fairly light, not as light as some xc hubs but pretty reasonable.
Do you have the link to the instructions in the Sunday thread? The search function didn't pull it up. :( :bonk:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Do you have the link to the instructions in the Sunday thread? The search function didn't pull it up. :( :bonk:
I couldn't find it in ridemonkey (didn't really look that hard) but found an explanation of the same mod on the xt cranks that you can use.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=440229&highlight=xtr+83mm

somebody else can probably turn up the one on the xtr set here on ridemonkey. I'm pretty sure its detailed in the sunday thread, but I don't really want to search through that entire mess to find it.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Intenseman all the new parts but you keep the DHX?
It's basically a custom shock. Trek worked with Fox when designing and building the Session, and Fox really dialed in the shock specifically for that bike. Having ridden one myself, it feels pretty awesome.

--JP

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
It's basically a custom shock. Trek worked with Fox when designing and building the Session, and Fox really dialed in the shock specifically for that bike. Having ridden one myself, it feels pretty awesome.
It is custom tuned to the bike, not the rider.
But also a Bos Boxxer can be set up wrong in order to make it work with a dhx.
Unless the session's dhx has a lot more LSC then a normal DHX I would still want a proper damper for the rear.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Why are people hyping the shock on the session as being custom? Is it custom the same way that DHXs/5ths were custom on Sundays?
Im not hating the DHX or the Session by the way I like em both.