Quantcast

New Trek Session 88 DH and FR version

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The internals must have been very changed for it to be THAT much of a differance. Custom tuning like ie. mojo does for +30 pounds to service is an improvement but not sth groundbrakeing.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The internals must have been very changed for it to be THAT much of a differance. Custom tuning like ie. mojo does for +30 pounds to service is an improvement but not sth groundbrakeing.
no doubt. it's still a dhx on the inside and any changes they made aren't likely to be too drastic. from what i heard it was mostly some fine tuning of the compression shims. this will make a subtle and noticeable difference but its still going to feel like a dhx. not that there is anything really wrong with that. though i'm going to go out on a limb and guess that one might have equal or better luck with a standard vivid and its proper LSC and LS/HS rebound adjustment as opposed the the pro-pedal and boost valve system of the DHX. If they offer the same 'custom' tune next year on the new Fox shock then they might be on to something.

of course this is also Trek we are talking about, and like Specialized they are pretty much masters at marketing/branding everything they make. if Trek spec'd their own in-house valve covers you can bet we'd hear all about them and their performance advantages. Trek knows if they say "it has a custom tuned shock" a bunch of people will be overly impressed and the power of suggestion pretty much guarantees they will think it feels great. to get a shock truly custom tuned you better be the rider on the bike doing the testing, otherwise it might as well just be a stock shock from a different manufacturer. I can swap a dhx for roco and guess what? it might not feel the same but it's not custom, just different.

the exception being a Sunday or another bike with a non-traditional leverage ratio, those bikes actually needed different valving to work. i'm not sure the Trek really falls into this category. but they are smart for doing it nonetheless.

And before you jump on my case for being critical, i think the 88 could be a rad bike with a few simple changes (mostly ditching some of the in-hose parts like tires, etc). It's on my short list for next year for sure.

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Trek knows if they say "it has a custom tuned shock" a bunch of people will be overly impressed and the power of suggestion pretty much guarantees they will think it feels great.
Trek made a point of this with the session 10 saying that the revox was a custom shock specifically built for the session 10. Bar being one of the first 3.5" stroke shocks widely available and one of the first mass produced bikes to use one. Does anyone know if the valving was different than on a revox that would be fitted to say an m3.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Love all the e-speculation. I've personally ridden the bike (two of them, actually), and the shock felt nothing like any other DHX I've ridden.

But then again, when has actual experience ever mattered more than the ramblings of a few 'well-informed' power posters on the msg boards? Carry on.

--JP

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Love all the e-speculation. I've personally ridden the bike (two of them, actually), and the shock felt nothing like any other DHX I've ridden.

But then again, when has actual experience ever mattered more than the ramblings of a few 'well-informed' power posters on the msg boards? Carry on.

--JP
Chill out. Most of ppl here are simply marketing cautious and some companies are good in BSing their customers so why you are suprised?
You are sure that the different feel came from the shock not the susp itself? Also nothing like any other means how much of a differance? I have a custom tuned DHX air and it feels nothing like any other dhx air but still I know the changes were not gigantic ;)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
And before you jump on my case for being critical, i think the 88 could be a rad bike with a few simple changes (mostly ditching some of the in-hose parts like tires, etc). It's on my short list for next year for sure.
At the BoXXer ride camp in Spain they had quite a few Sessions on hand. Everyone who rode one liked it - said they couldn't fault the bike, that overall it was a great package.

Obviously all of them had RockShox Vivid's and from what people were saying the B Tune Vivid worked well on that bike - but that's subjective.

I personally think the bike looks great.

Bademaista

Chimp
Nov 27, 2008
hi all,
i've read the whole thread and i'm considering buying an Session 88 FR. I'm not yet sure which framsize I should order.

Im about 6' tall (183cm). What would you guys recommend?
Normally im riding M's, but it sounds as the session seems to feel very small?

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France

Frame : Trek Session 88 DH, Size M
Fork : RockShox Boxxer World Cup + Kit BOS
Rear Shock : Fox DHX 5.0 with RCS titanium spring
Headset : : Canecreek Custom 1"1/2-1"1/8
Steme : Twenty6 Boxxer Direct Mount
Handlebar : Easton Monkey Lite DH
Grips : Oury Lock-On with Envy bar end caps
Brakes : Avid Elixir CR 200/1800
Rear Trigger : Sram XO
Rear Derailleur : Sram XO, Short cage
Cassette : Shimano Dura-Ace 11-23
Chain : Sram PC71
Cranks / Bottom Bracket : RaceFace Atlas FR
Ring : Blackspire Downhill 36dents
Anti-deraillement : MRP G2
Pedals : Twenty6 Rallye with Titanium Axle
Seatpost : Thomson Masterpiece
Saddle : SDG Ti-Fly C
Wheels : Mavic Deemax 2009 (20mm/150-12mm)
Tires : Maxxis Minion FR DH 2.50 42a ST

Next évolution : titanium parts, Hope 2009 Seat Clamp... & Chain most lighter

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
New DeeMax looks great I would love a pair for next year. I am super happy with my Twenty6 pedals so far. It must be torture to have such a nice bike and then have to wait all winter before you can ride it. You should make a trip to Tenerife and ride.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile

thats one sick bike, although I think you should go to formula breaks, more power and they are also lighter!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Edit:
Uh sry didn't read. How's the bos cardridge forking for you

Last edited:

Wilson

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
That's a pretty solid build you got there. I'm pretty anxious to get mine so I can start to build it for the 09 season

cabeaumont

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
I've been watching this thread closely for a while now. I ordered a session 88 fr about 5 weeks ago....and it finally arrived last week! The bonus was picking it up this week was that I benifited from the vat reduction - better in my pocket!!

Having read the press and other peoples opinion (largely based on what they had read) i was torn between a med and large. I'm 6'2" and opted for a medium.....and it's perfect! I have no doubt that a large would have been way too big.

I've been served well by a Trek Remedy 6 for the past 18 months so, although it doesn't have the name or appeal of other brands, i was happy with the performance of most bontrager kit so was happy to give most of what was on the 88 a go. I've put my trusty DX spd's on instead of those flippers trek are passing off as pedals, swapped the grips for my preferred funn jobbies and those big earl tyres didn't even come out the box - predictably Minion FR and High Roller went on immediately!!

Big shout out to Alpine Bikes in Glasgow for getting me the bike so quickly - everywhere else was quoting Feb!!

Few pics

...and my Trusty Remedy that'll go into semi retirement and get some much needed tlc!

Roll on the weekend!!!!!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ian, that thing is hot man!! is that a team or a wc? you keeping that or still getting the LE 40s?

you def gotta bring back the old fox mx helmet, just coz it fits the color scheme... hahah

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there

i just thought i'd quote this with the pics again because it hasnt been done enough.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
ian, that thing is hot man!! is that a team or a wc? you keeping that or still getting the LE 40s?

you def gotta bring back the old fox mx helmet, just coz it fits the color scheme... hahah
hahaha, Rock some old skool Moto Bomber-man Madness!

Heres the complete Build.

Fork : RockShox Boxxer World Cup
Rear Shock : Fox DHX 5.0 with a rusting steel spring
Steme : Point One Boxxer Direct Mount
Handlebar : Deity Dirty 30 Polished
Grips : Deity Lean Grips
Brakes : Avid Juicy with Ultimate levers 180/160
Cassette : Shimano Dura-Ace 11-25
Chain : Sram Hollow Chain
Cranks / Bottom Bracket : Deity Vendetta
Ring : Deity Rev 4B 34teeth
Chain Guide : MRP Mini G
Pedals : Deity Decoy
Seatpost : Deity Tibia with shim
Saddle : WTB Silverado
Wheels : Hope pro 2 with Dt Swiss 5.1
Tires : Maxxis Minion FR DH 2.50 3C

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
those are some of the most amazing looking bikes I have seen! particularly nugget's one with the black lowers on the boxxers!

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
It's pretty nice, but that rear brake line....

A friend had his K24 that way (on a different bike but never the less), and ended up with some DOT on the disk. :huh:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
By now we all know that the Session 88 is a good looking bike and that you can switch every component on it.......

......but can everybody who owns one please go out and ride and tell how good it really is after it is set up correct and broken in?
Thanks!

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
just learn to ''snip'' the pictures,we don't need to a pyramid off qoute's with the same pictures

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
sorry to hi-hack your thread, I was wondering if your could give us your opinion on the Deemax...

How's the engagement?What does it compare to?

Im waiting on my Session as well and was hoping to put the new deemax on it!

Nice ride btw!

P.S You WILL destroy the pedals, Ive had a pair on my Demo 8 for 2 days and took them back on my trail bike before I destroyed them completely.Great pedals but they are simply not strong enough for DH application I think.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

:rofl: