Quantcast

New Trek Session 88 DH and FR version

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The new Trek Session 88 both in DH and Fr version.

Trek Session 88 DH - 8" of travel, uses the same 1-piece 'EVO link' as the '08 Fuel and Remedy lines, along with the now Trek-standard ABP axle pivot. Expect to pay around $5999 to get a bike that builds to a lovely 37lb.

Session 88 FR - indentical geometry to the DH version, but with a more freeride component build.

New brakes that we weren't meant to have seen yet. The Avid Elixir.

New Saint rear mech using a variation of Shadow technology. Notice the internal cable routing. Like the Remedy the Session 88 will pivot at the rear axle - what Trek calls 'Active Braking Pivot' or ABP.

E2 headtube flares from 1.125" to 1.5" for the best light weight / stiffness compromise..

Bontrager rads up the decals

Nico Vink and Andrew Shandro broke in the Session 88 DH and FR bikes on the World Cup circuit and the Shore, so you can be sure they've been tested thoroughly.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/otter_04_08.php

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'm sorry, but 6 grand for a bike spec'd primarily with Trek's in-house parts brand? They can kiss my grits.
At least they're not using their own brand of shocks.

And as far as the MRP LG1 goes....they even put a little white logo on the upper guide?!? No copying at all went on there :twitch:

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Doubt it will be $6k in the US based on all the other pricing info we've already seen. Maybe in Canada... NSMB is funny about their price quotes that way... ;)

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The Bontrager stuff on my session 77 seems to be pretty decent.
The rims ding pretty easily, but they're pretty light. The hubs are solid, and the rest is pretty hard to screw up on. A stem is pretty much a stem, it just boils down to specs really. The tires wear out fast, but grip really well. The bars are great, and the saddle works.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
New Avids?
They are designed to have poor initial bite, and them get more powerfull the closer you pull them to the lever. Dweebs on the internet call it "modulation" I call it being broken out of the box. Overall clamping power is between a Juicy and a Code.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Seems pretty cool to me the price seems ok most of the bontrager stuff is pretty good stuff. Ok it doesn't have the cool factor of other brands but its fairly good quality. I'd rather have the bontrager stuff than the cheap raceface finishing kit you get on a Glory.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I'll go first, here's a hint:

ok Klunky, your turn. :busted:
I know you work for Trek so obviously know the deal, however the botrager GXP bottom bracket on the bikes I work on clearly state that they are made by Truvative for Bontrager.
The earl chainsets and lower end chainsets from bontrager also come with a pedal washer ziptied through the pedal hole. They come in a little bag with instructions on where to fit them and the instructions are listed as being truvative.:busted:

I know some the new roady chainsets are made by a different company....stronglite?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I know you work for Trek so obviously know the deal, however the botrager GXP bottom bracket on the bikes I work on clearly state that they are made by Truvative for Bontrager.
The earl chainsets and lower end chainsets from bontrager also come with a pedal washer ziptied through the pedal hole. They come in a little bag with instructions on where to fit them and the instructions are listed as being truvative.:busted:

I know some the new roady chainsets are made by a different company....stronglite?
you know what you just described does not equal "rebadged", right?

anything that's purchased from Truvativ (like BBs) are labeled as Truvativ, and that's stated right on the website. I believe that any crank that's labeled as Bontrager has been designed and engineered in-house.