Quantcast

New truck...need a rack...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Having an almost midlife crisis, not ready to yell at the kids on my lawn yet, but my movement back Stateside made me sell the Subaru and find a new car. So I went all out and got a truck. Dodge 1500 Express...now I need a bike hauling solution. Built a DIY rack out of PVC last time I was in Cali, but it wasnt much good for hauling, only for garage storage. Found these guys-

http://www.pipelineracks.com/ and am thinking about a 4 bike rig.

Thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Depending on how much you want to spend, an over the bed style rack is awesome if you still want to have the storage space of the truck while transporting a bike. They are a little more costly because you have to get a rack system then trays or equivalent to carry the bikes.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Tailgate pad. Done. No?

I mean, isn't the beauty of owning a truck NOT having to buy a rack?
For day to day close to home riding this is the answer. For road trips a rack system is nicer so you can use the truck bed to haul all your ****.

Over the bed is good, but will kill mileage. Parking is easy with nothing hanging off the back and if you can do some fab you can bend up some brackets so that your tonneau can still be rolled open if needed.

With out a tonneau you can just brill through the bed rails and bolt roof bars down and add trays.

I decided I liked my tonneau but not the lack of fuel mileage wiht the bikes up over the bed, so I built a hitch rack. It started as a t2 but with 4 bikes it was too flimsy, so I bought my own receiver tube, welded a nut inside and cut it to length, I have room for 5-6 bikes on thule T2 trays and my wrack doesn't flop anymore. Disadvantage is I made it come straight out the tube and its long, surprisingly I have only drug it once coming out of a gas station and once parking on a steepish hill side in a park.

In the bed of my truck I also have a simple 2x4 rack that sits right in place on my wheel wells and holds 4 bikes by the back tires. Cheaper than a tailgate pad and nice and easy to just drop the bikes in place. Actually very similar to what you posted (in theory) but I put the bikes in by the back tire so that the front tires can turn and have less interference with the handlebars and such

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That Pipeline rack makes no sense to me. I built the same thing with $4 worth of 2*4s, and it holds any wheel and tire size with no need for adjustment. I can get 3 bikes in the bed of my Ranger straight in the rack, no tools, no straps, no contact, and bed closes. If I want to get ambitious, I can get 5 bikes in, but a couple of straps are needed and the gate stays down, so that's kind of a short trip method. Just as well. 5 sweaty guys in a Ranger is unpleasant.

Tailgate is good if you want to recoup a bit of bed-space, but even with the pad, bikes and gate can get scratched. Best to carry some pipe insulation as well.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yeah...looking at longer trips ala what Kickstand was talking about. I dont shuttle, and have a few different bikes that all need to fit in a rack without too much trouble...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have truck, and pad, and rack. Pretty much only use the rack on the wife's car. Never take the pad off the truck other than to wash said truck. By far the easiest way to go. And cheap.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Scratches are fine, but with loading over the truck bed you have to be careful loading. A misplaced brake lever or bolt can really get nasty on a frame or fork. Quick shuttles aren't too bad, but long road trips can easily ruin something.

Last edited: