Quantcast

New type of photography for me

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Ive never really shot much without people in the picture so I decided to start carrying my camera around and shooting non people stuff.
Does this image grab you at all?

Seattle

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I like rolling automotive shots.

I'd like to get a camera mount and try this^.

Good picture.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
it would if i didn't happen to see that almost every day this last week, but with really bad traffic.

i say the more stuff you take photo's of the better, if the mood grabs you, then shoot it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think that is a good shot. i always make it a point to have amy camera in my car. throw the battery on the charger once a week and call it good.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like it... I think that the building's reflection is a little too overexposed, and it keeps pulling my eyes towards it. Was that intentional or just a result of a lot of reflection?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Not so much. Cityscapes can be really cool, but I think they need to be a view on the city that people don't see.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
I like it... I think that the building's reflection is a little too overexposed, and it keeps pulling my eyes towards it. Was that intentional or just a result of a lot of reflection?
That's pretty much a specular highlight. Totally exceeds the contrast range of color film or digital. Not much to be done about it, except trying to use a polarizer to eliminate it, or reducing everything else to a sihouette...or shooting b/w film and altering the contrast range in development, and that still might not work...

Derek, that pic strikes me as something you could sell to a stock agency or whatever, and it's a nice view of the city that avoids being antiseptic (as skylines can be)...but it's not really compelling in any way, IMHO, like 100% of the other pics you've shared with us. Was there anything you were going for other than showing us what Seattle looks like?

Your people/action pics are very compelling, but using the same treatment towards the city doesn't evoke the same feelings. Normally, it's a compelling subject that we see and appreciate through your skillful method of photographing it, which is subtle; you spend lots time appreciating the referent of the photo, and your (Derek's) photographic presence is sort of submerged in all of it, not standing alone, but being the method by which we see the subject as compelling. We're not just looking at the photo itself as an aestheticly pleasing object...with things like this, it's going to be more about the photographer and his methods than the static subject, unless you're just going for a nice image of the city so that we can see what it looks like. But you can do so much more than that with your abilities.

I dunno...have you ever seen Eugene Atget's stuff? Wierd French dude, wandered around turn-of-the-century Paris doing photos on a camera that was antiquated even by the standards of those days. Took thousands on thousands of empty street scenes with this dry plate camera, sold some to artists to be used as backgrounds for their paintings, but died poor and bitter. Did photos of archetypical street 'characters,' too. Used to have students who were shooting urban scenes look at his stuff a lot. The surrealists, of all people, loved him.
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/A/atget/atget.html

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
That's pretty much a specular highlight. Totally exceeds the contrast range of color film or digital. Not much to be done about it, except trying to use a polarizer to eliminate it, or reducing everything else to a sihouette...or shooting b/w film and altering the contrast range in development, and that still might not work...
Just depends on how much of a photoshop guy you are, since Derek shoots digital.

Some highlights like that just may be so bright that there's not much that can be done, and you're right: the scene's range is too broad to capture it all. However, if you shot a second exposure, exposed for the building, you could blend it over the top of the first exposure in Photoshop.

I was more wondering if that was the effect he was going for (the blown highlights), or if it was just a side effect of the picture (as you mentioned).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Just depends on how much of a photoshop guy you are, since Derek shoots digital.

Some highlights like that just may be so bright that there's not much that can be done, and you're right: the scene's range is too broad to capture it all. However, if you shot a second exposure, exposed for the building, you could blend it over the top of the first exposure in Photoshop.

I was more wondering if that was the effect he was going for (the blown highlights), or if it was just a side effect of the picture (as you mentioned).
Ah, you can do the same thing in a darkroom, but it's way too laborious for me...split-filtration was all I ever used to help out issues like that. I guess I'll have to learn more about Photoshop than adjusting levels.

I just get the feeling he was sorta shooting around and seeing what he could get without doing too much polishing; more searching for subjects/genre than the perfect image.

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
Ah, you can do the same thing in a darkroom, but it's way too laborious for me...split-filtration was all I ever used to help out issues like that. I guess I'll have to learn more about Photoshop than adjusting levels.
Wish I had a little more darkroom experience, but there's a sort of universal acknowledgement that the photography classes at the local college suck and that's the only way I can get lab time - the guy who runs the photo lab absolutely will not allow non-students to use it.

Photoshop is an awesome tool. My girlfriend's little brother went to his senior prom yesterday, and I took some pictures. I tried doing a gaussian blur layer, then using the fuzzy eraser to remove the blur from the subjects. It worked suprisingly well for a ten minute exercise - and was an interesting way to compensate for the lack of DoF control in a digicam. I learn more about PS every day! Right now I've got Photoshop Elements 3.0, and find that, for me, it's got most of the functionality I need for a whole lot less money than the full version.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Here are a couple shots I took in downtown Rochester last weekend...

I just got a new p&s: Canon SD110... gotta hand it to Canon - the technology seems to be top notch...

Im a newbie, so suggestions/comments welcome

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i like it alot derek, what photoshop work did you do with the image though? Did you darken it, then add the highlights to the buildings?

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
MikeD said:

Derek, that pic strikes me as something you could sell to a stock agency or whatever, and it's a nice view of the city that avoids being antiseptic (as skylines can be)...but it's not really compelling in any way, IMHO, like 100% of the other pics you've shared with us. Was there anything you were going for other than showing us what Seattle looks like?

Your people/action pics are very compelling, but using the same treatment towards the city doesn't evoke the same feelings. Normally, it's a compelling subject that we see and appreciate through your skillful method of photographing it, which is subtle; you spend lots time appreciating the referent of the photo, and your (Derek's) photographic presence is sort of submerged in all of it, not standing alone, but being the method by which we see the subject as compelling. We're not just looking at the photo itself as an aestheticly pleasing object...with things like this, it's going to be more about the photographer and his methods than the static subject, unless you're just going for a nice image of the city so that we can see what it looks like. But you can do so much more than that with your abilities.

I dunno...have you ever seen Eugene Atget's stuff? Wierd French dude, wandered around turn-of-the-century Paris doing photos on a camera that was antiquated even by the standards of those days. Took thousands on thousands of empty street scenes with this dry plate camera, sold some to artists to be used as backgrounds for their paintings, but died poor and bitter. Did photos of archetypical street 'characters,' too. Used to have students who were shooting urban scenes look at his stuff a lot. The surrealists, of all people, loved him.
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/A/atget/atget.html

MD

I appreciate the good feedback. I honestly hadnt put that much thought into it. I was just rolling along and the clouds broke apart briefly causing the spray from the cars to be a little more obvious and then reflecting directly off the buildings. I had my camera close by and thought it was a little more interesting than the normal view through there. I pretty much guessed on the exposure. This was the second shot, the first one being waay overexposed with that sun coming directly off the buidings.

As far as photoshop work -I mostly used curve tweaks, and a little desaturation- mostly to try and deaden the light coming off the buildings. I like the fact that its blown, but not horribly so and gives a nice looking contrast at least to my eye. But I dont really spend a lot of time looking at images like this and have never really tried to shoot this kind of thing before so suspected my like for it may be just because its new to me.

BV - in all honesty I wish that I could have not blown the buildings, but knew that the chances of exposing the whole scene right were pretty much nil. I know about the method you mentioned, but that only really works if you are shooting from the exact same spot with both exposures, and cruising down the highway at 60 with the wipers on full speed doesnt really make that an easy task :)