Quantcast

New V10c XL Frames at Huge Discount

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just get a 28mm straitline stem and you can probably get away with the XL when the Large is your regular size. It's a great deal.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Tallboy, nomad, superlight, heckler, jackal, are on sale too.

Just click on Sale, then Frames after the link

Last edited:

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
My xl v10 carbon arrived yesterday afternoon. Such a great deal. And the xl sizing isn't that huge. I did order a 28mm stem, but at just under 6'3", I think it will be juuuuuuuust right.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
SC has # of new models coming out and are clearing old inventory out. The Butcher and Nickle frames have been discontinued
That kinda sucks. I wish I could get one but no cash at the moment. A friend ordered the v10c though. Hard not to get one if you have some spare cash.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
SC has # of new models coming out and are clearing old inventory out. The Butcher and Nickle frames have been discontinued
I know. They blew out the Butcher and the Nickel on competitive cyclist months ago for a stupid price but selling direct alienates LBS's IMO. A real "parking lot sale" is one thing but selling to anyone in the US or Canada is different. Plus some of the other frames are still current

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
I know. They blew out the Butcher and the Nickel on competitive cyclist months ago for a stupid price but selling direct alienates LBS's IMO. A real "parking lot sale" is one thing but selling to anyone in the US or Canada is different. Plus some of the other frames are still current
What makes you think that the LBS's hadn't already had their fill of these frames?

Consumers searching for the best deal online are already ignoring the LBS anyways.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What makes you think that the LBS's hadn't already had their fill of these frames?

Consumers searching for the best deal online are already ignoring the LBS anyways.
well if they did send something to their dealers, we didnt see it, nor did another shop i spoke with.
and regardless if people are searching for "good deals" online, they are alienating their IBD's. hell, why not just cut the "middle man" (ibd) out and sell only direct and save the customer some more money right?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's a leftover gear sale. They need to clear the frames fast. Online is always a faster way. Most of the time santa is pretty cool towards the lbs market so quit complaining that they will sell a few frames direct.

Last edited:

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
It's a leftover gear sale. They need to clear the frames fast. Online is always a faster way. Most of the time santa is pretty cool towards the lbs market so quit complaining that they will sell a few frames direct.
I don't think you understand his point.

Take the Heckler frameset on the website, Regular "retail" is suggesting $1080, Santa Cruz is selling that right now at $550. At $550, it is cheaper than what I can get it through the shop I work at up here in Canada... Bottom line is, Santa Cruz is making alot of their dealers look like a bunch of assholes when the customer sees that they can effectively get it for "half" price. As IH8RICE said, they got no heads up... If I was a fulltime Santa Cruz dealer, i'd drop them for **** like that.

If that isn't his point, then maybe im just talking out of my arse.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Whatever, I'm sure LBSs signed agreements w/ SC and I'd bet this sale is not a violation of the terms.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Look at it however you want, but I'm going to finally be riding the frame I've been dreaming of (yes my SC dealer lbs has know about this) for the last 2 years.

I prefer to go through my lbs when it makes sense. In fact, I love my lbs.

But love for my lbs doesn't justify the difference of $3200 vs. $1850.

If it weren't for this sale, I'd be riding the same used undersized frame again next year. And then nobody wins.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Take the Heckler frameset on the website, Regular "retail" is suggesting $1080, Santa Cruz is selling that right now at $550. At $550, it is cheaper than what I can get it through the shop I work at up here in Canada... Bottom line is, Santa Cruz is making alot of their dealers look like a bunch of assholes when the customer sees that they can effectively get it for "half" price. As IH8RICE said, they got no heads up... If I was a fulltime Santa Cruz dealer, i'd drop them for **** like that.

You don't look bad. It's a mfg sale. It's a one off deal. I don't blame my lbs their prices don't match one off deals on the web. Don't overreact.

May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
well if they did send something to their dealers, we didnt see it, nor did another shop i spoke with.
and regardless if people are searching for "good deals" online, they are alienating their IBD's. hell, why not just cut the "middle man" (ibd) out and sell only direct and save the customer some more money right?

Our rep for my shop sent me an email letting us know that they were marking down prices for shops for several weeks and we relayed that to our customers and were able to sell quite a few frames and still make a good margin. They also told us that on a certain date they would be releasing them on the website for a certain amount for anyone to purchase them. It does suck if someone comes to you and says hey they have it direct for this amount but when we explain to them that's the same we pay and it's a special deal they understand.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think it would suck if bike shops were cut out. And I'd rather buy dealer direct than from someone making a cut with literally NO value added.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I think it would suck if bike shops were cut out. And I'd rather buy dealer direct than from someone making a cut with literally NO value added.
Then buy it from your local bike shop. It's clear that SC over estimated demand and needed to clear out inventory as there were not enough peeps willing tp pay MRSP for their frames.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Then buy it from your local bike shop. It's clear that SC over estimated demand and needed to clear out inventory as there were not enough peeps willing tp pay MRSP for their frames.
No I'm saying I would rather buy direct from them than someone like chainlove or whatever other online retailer.
At least with buying from the dealer, there isn't a middle man who provides no value added. Shop adds value, service, warranty help, etc. online retailers- not really.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I don't think it's possible for a shop to add sufficient value to justify the $1200 margin on those v-10 frames (or whatever it is). Especially since shops very rarely, if ever, stock high end DH frames/bikes.

No I'm saying I would rather buy direct from them than someone like chainlove or whatever other online retailer.
At least with buying from the dealer, there isn't a middle man who provides no value added. Shop adds value, service, warranty help, etc. online retailers- not really.

Last edited:

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
In my mind there is a massive value added when ordering from Backcountry.com etc over a local bike shop. The BC.com stores offer a no questions asked unconditional return policy. Most of my local bike shops offer nothing other than a run around to avoid warranty work. Yes they provide service and installation, however it is geared toward the recreational cyclist and generally not done correctly.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I don't think it's possible for a shop to add sufficient value to justify the $1200 margin on those v-10 frames (or whatever it is). Especially since shops very rarely, if ever, stock high end DH frames/bikes.
Good point on shops not bringing in a lot of dh frames- but i think most shops don't make anywhere near their standard margin percentage on something like a high end dh frame. I think that's part of what makes them hard to justify bringing in, especially if it doesn't turn over somewhat quickly. I'm pretty sure these santacruz frames are below typical cost charged to a shop and that a margin on one would be much slimmer than $1200. Not to mention, a lot of shops will cut margins even more to keep up with other retailers.
I agree with Ih8rice that it is lame to undercut the dealers online, even though I'm sure it's written into the agreement.
I guess on the flip side, the more loyalty a dealer gives, the more loyalty they expect in terms of forcing you to carry their stupid tires and sh!tty shoes.:rolleyes:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Good point on shops not bringing in a lot of dh frames- but i think most shops don't make anywhere near their standard margin percentage on something like a high end dh frame. I think that's part of what makes them hard to justify bringing in, especially if it doesn't turn over somewhat quickly. I'm pretty sure these santacruz frames are below typical cost charged to a shop and that a margin on one would be much slimmer than $1200. Not to mention, a lot of shops will cut margins even more to keep up with other retailers.
I'm pretty sure wholesale isn't more than like $2200 on those frames. With retail being ~$3300, they are probably making at least $1k at list prices. Not certain, but that's my fairly educated guess.

But yeah. I don't blame shops for not investing in the DH game. Not much money to be made there. That's why the LBS business model is just f-ing stupid for DH bikes. It's bad for everyone; consumer, mfg., retailer.

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008

If you could explain to please what possible "value" a bike shop ads by ordering in a bike for you I'd love to hear it.

Having it in the flesh, being able to test ride one ads some value, but if you know exactly what you want, they're just a leach waiting for blood you don't want to give them. A dealers value is in servicing and having parts in stock when I want them now!, if they say "oh we can order that in for you" I say "so can I, from half way around the world at half the price in half the time"...they get offended but it's the truth. Go in for warranty "oh you'll have to pay postage on that back to the importer" well **** me, why do you even exist?

The only people who ad the real value are the manufacture, in this case SantaCruz.

Online shopping is quicker, cheaper and since you have to post for warranty anyway and most offer unconditional returns or exchanges, it's better service. The retailer is dieing out and I couldn't give two ****s, it's not my job to give you money for nothing, provide me value and I'll pay.

rant over/

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
If you could explain to please what possible "value" a bike shop ads by ordering in a bike for you I'd love to hear it.

Having it in the flesh, being able to test ride one ads some value, but if you know exactly what you want, they're just a leach waiting for blood you don't want to give them. A dealers value is in servicing and having parts in stock when I want them now!, if they say "oh we can order that in for you" I say "so can I, from half way around the world at half the price in half the time"...they get offended but it's the truth. Go in for warranty "oh you'll have to pay postage on that back to the importer" well **** me, why do you even exist?

The only people who ad the real value are the manufacture, in this case SantaCruz.

Online shopping is quicker, cheaper and since you have to post for warranty anyway and most offer unconditional returns or exchanges, it's better service. The retailer is dieing out and I couldn't give two ****s, it's not my job to give you money for nothing, provide me value and I'll pay.

rant over/
You make some good points, however some shops are very different from most, like ours for example.

First, if we don't have it, we can get it in within 5 days of the customer coming to the shop and putting an order through. That is proven to be quicker than any online "shop".

Second, our margins are low as fvck, on a $2699MSRP frame, we usually only sell it at $1900. The nice thing is about high-end framesets, is that most customers know how to work on their bikes, the customer also gets treated to 20% discount on P&A. If something needs "sent-in" as you say, we don't charge the customer a single cent if the part was bought at our store.

Third, We understand that online shopping in MOST cases is "quicker, cheaper", that's why need are as aggresive as we are on pricing and our reputation of getting the stock in as quick as possible.

Rant on if you want...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
/
No, you are wrong! The manufacturer sits somewhere in Taiwan or China, so lets cut out the middle man (Santa Cruz) and get the frames directly from them! :D ;)