Quantcast

New V10c XL Frames at Huge Discount

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I get what everybody promised us when they outsourced to TW:
Frames that are welded straight? :)

In my experience most US-made frames tend to be sub-par in quality compared to a good TW frame - apart from those that came out of SAPA - and even then I think TW has more advanced manufacturing procedures (Specialized alloy frames are a good example, as are new carbon DH frames from most manufacturers).

I'd sooner buy a high quality product from someone profiting from me than an inferior product sold at a loss.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
and even then I think TW has more advanced manufacturing procedures (Specialized alloy frames are a good example, as are new carbon DH frames from most manufacturers).
Unfortunately you are for the most part right. One day we won't be able to even make the easiest things ourselves. And I don't know if you can run a full economy on service, marketing and the consumption of products made somewhere else. The big question will become who then has the money to buy those super advanced frames? ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
There seem to be a few companies(none bike related yet) moving production back to the US as the cost of manufacture in the far east rises. Hopefully it happens in Australia too as I think there is only one company making full sus frames locally.

boylagz, that is one pretty awesome looking steed!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Frames that are welded straight? :)

In my experience most US-made frames tend to be sub-par in quality compared to a good TW frame - apart from those that came out of SAPA - and even then I think TW has more advanced manufacturing procedures (Specialized alloy frames are a good example, as are new carbon DH frames from most manufacturers).

I'd sooner buy a high quality product from someone profiting from me than an inferior product sold at a loss.
That's not entirely true. Maybe in the bike industry it is though.

North America runs circles around Taiwan when it comes to advanced manufacturing with regards to both investments in technology and developments in technology. It's not even close (and believe me, I've researched this for outsourcing aerospace work).

But for bikes, because of the massive investments into building facilities out there, it's a potential wash. I say wash, because when reviewing an entire countries manufacturing capabilities, you don't just look at what is currently being used, but rather what *could* be used. The USofA is more than capable of producing better frames than anywhere else, someone just needs to act on it and make those investments, which will not happen any time soon. That's why your statement is both true and untrue.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Yah tis a real fun ride. Will run this setup for a good while til the 2014 40's come out. Fingers crossed on those new 40's. Fox really managed to slim that thing down even with 40mm stanchions still, at least projected weight is in the low 6-lb range. I know its not much difference but its a good thing.
Saw one mounted on a V10 last summer at Northstar, looked so nice :weee:

Last edited:

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Wow, that is awesome. Any more info why he opted 8.5 instead of 10? Did Peaty and Ratboy run 10 or 8.5 as well?
in 2010 and 2011, they all ran 10" just about all of the time. In 2012 they all ran 8.5" just about all of the time.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
in 2010 and 2011, they all ran 10" just about all of the time. In 2012 they all ran 8.5" just about all of the time.
That's quite interesting, what's the reasoning there?

It makes sense to me as less travel (as well as similar travel F/R) means less dynamic geometry change, thus more predictable handling, but perhaps the team's reasoning is different to mine.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Its determined during testing, experimentally based on what goes quickest and/or feels best. Keep in mind they are usually running suspension that is different internally (and it changes year to year) so your results may vary...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

North America runs circles around Taiwan when it comes to advanced manufacturing with regards to both investments in technology and developments in technology. It's not even close (and believe me, I've researched this for outsourcing aerospace work).

But for bikes, because of the massive investments into building facilities out there, it's a potential wash. I say wash, because when reviewing an entire countries manufacturing capabilities, you don't just look at what is currently being used, but rather what *could* be used. The USofA is more than capable of producing better frames than anywhere else, someone just needs to act on it and make those investments, which will not happen any time soon. That's why your statement is both true and untrue.
Nobody is questioning the US's actual manufacturing technology, just the economics of producing or investing in tooling there for bikes. Obviously the US leads the way with aerospace tech and all the insane stuff that goes on there (huge forged 1pc titanium bulkheads in the F22s are pretty nuts for example), but that is one of the very few industries where cost barely factors into the equation.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I was clearly talking about the bike industry only, and previous to current trends (i.e. as it stands). Fair call that the infrastructure exists locally though, I don't doubt that at all.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
(huge forged 1pc titanium bulkheads in the F22s are pretty nuts for example), but that is one of the very few industries where cost barely factors into the equation.
On a side note, might want to be carefull about what you put out over the Internet. Never know who is reading this and there background.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
On a side note, might want to be carefull about what you put out over the Internet. Never know who is reading this and there background.
haha yes it is huuuuuuge military secret, who knows what diabolical counter f22 missiles could be dreamed up knowing they use a forged Ti bulkhead (which is incidentally pretty cool). Besides, F22 is pretty damn outdated as an airframe now, they started on that thing what 30yrs ago? Between more than doubling in cost and production schedule being put off and off and off and off, that thing is in the dumpster (last time I checked..don't blame me for not being up to date).

TLDR, paranoid?

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Maybe we could build a ridemonkey fighter jet.

I have a small container of shims, a copy of linkage, and a few ti bolts that could possibly be forged into a one piece titanium bulkhead.

N2fire

Chimp
Feb 13, 2012
What was the time between when you ordered the frame and when they shipped it? I ordered mine on Tues. morn and still haven't heard anything. It still shows pending. Thanks Chris

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
What was the time between when you ordered the frame and when they shipped it? I ordered mine on Tues. morn and still haven't heard anything. It still shows pending. Thanks Chris
4 business days it arrived at my door in Canada. Very impressed with how quick it went, not even held up at customs.

N2fire

Chimp
Feb 13, 2012
Hey thanks for the responses. Tdiddy: After you ordered it was it pretty quick until they notified you of it shipping?
Sorry for all the questions but I'm hearing of some people ordering but S.C. dosent actually have them in stock. I'm a lite worried as I've already sold my frame.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
yes, I ordered in the evening, got confirmation that it shipped the next morning, arrived 4 business days from ordering it. All way faster than expected. Not sure what the issue is with some of the "pending" notifications and with some frames being put back up online after they had shown to be sold out. Hopefully it works out for you.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Well I decided yesterday to stick with my 2012 v10 frame, as I hardly have time to ride, but damn!!!

Must resist... Must resist...

Out of work, almost broke - now Im planning this with Enve bar and post, new cranks, new Saint....

Somehow.............

Carbongasm^3

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
it's weird... am i the only one who thinks meeeeh just another V10...

even the totally not proven made by an extremely unreliable company Evil Undead makes me want to have it more then just another (unarguably ****ing great) V10...