Quantcast

New Verizon Wireless calling plan - UNLIMITED

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Has Sprint done this yet?
Sprint/Nextel was actually the originators and started it years back. Although they didnt advertise this plan for new activations(not sure if it was an option though), they started offering it to existings to lower their growing churn rate.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
UMA is for cellphones, duh.

UMA phones use the Internet to connect to virtual cell tower servers and easily roam between real cell towers and the Internet like tower to tower roaming without dropping the call. Calls based anywhere in the world on this plan outgoing are free and have no roaming fees. No cell service is need - just a 70 Kbps (yes bits, not bytes) of bandwidth on a Wifi connection.

I have the Blackberry Curve with UMA:

A cool idea, but all this does is make up for t-mobles lack of a network.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A cool idea, but all this does is make up for t-mobles lack of a network.
It helps add coverage to places where GSM signals are inherently weaker and its cheaper than building more cell towers:

The advantage of UMA is typically twofold: it infills areas that have poor coverage, such as inside buildings and homes, by using Wi-Fi as it’s intended to work, covering interior spaces; and it’s cheaper to carry service over Wi-Fi and consequently the Internet than it is to shuttle voice calls over a cell network.

It's easy for T-Mobile to price the service as an unlimited offering because estimates I received from the industry indicate that cell calls cost roughly a nickel a minute to carry, while calls over Wi-Fi networks are about a penny a minute. But that's over Wi-Fi networks that a carrier doesn't own where it needs to pay a third party.
T-mobile cellular coverage is comparable to AT&T and often they are often roaming partners with each other and other cellular providers. UMA gives GSM cellular networks better coverage in buildings or rural areas that had none.

Our company is nationalwide (48, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Guam) and we use to have three accounts Verizon, ATT, and Tmobile with approx. 100 blackberries. We now have a mixture of Verizon and Tmobile as ATT did not offer any advantage to us anymore. Verizon still has better coverage than ATT and Tmobile. I had a choice and I am on Tmobile.

Tmobile has a lot of hotspots (almost 10000 nationwide). UMA users have free access to these hotspots.

I did a MTB tour of the NE this summer NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT, and PA - never had problems with calling from the hotels nearby the trails we rode, I did have some places with poor tether data service and few dead spots on the drive here or there, but Verizon is the same from my years with them - no provider is perfect with coverage: