Quantcast

New Volkswagon Jetta commercial.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
New Volkswagen Jetta commercial says the car deploys the air bags, puts on the hazard lights, and "UNLOCKS the doors in an auto accident? Does anyone think this is a bad idea? Especially in a roll over situation?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
new cars have pins that keep the doors from popping open. The unlock is so if you are rendered unconscious, people can come to your aid.
VWs autolock the doors so it seems appropriate that they auto unlock

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It doesn't open the door, just unlocks the lock. What is wrong with that? Unless in your roll over situation, your hand grabs onto the door handle, opens the door, takes your seat belt off, then you fly out of the open door.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i think it might be a bad idea for theft, but not in an actual accident. I imagine somebody will find a way to trip the sensors and get inside the car in not too long of a time.

Hell, you only have to bump the door on the old mazda 3 to get inside.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I imagine somebody will find a way to trip the sensors and get inside the car in not too long of a time.
itd would still be easier and faster to use a slim jim

why would a safety feature be a bad thing? its a feature like the car shutting off and cutting the fuel supply to the engine in a accident.
im guessing you think Nissan's brake override is a bad thing too?

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
this is a VERY good idea. Many accidents could result in an unconscious driver/passenger in front seat(s) of car. If ignition is still on, & car is still in drive (with windows up), in many cars that also means that doors are still locked from auto lock. Now picture yourself trying to help said person(s), with doors locked. Now add a helpless child in a rear child seat to that mess. making sense yet?
Edit: snipped from VW:
Intelligent Crash Response System
After the airbags have been deployed in a collision, the Intelligent Crash Response System (ICRS) automatically unlocks all doors, turns off power to the fuel pump, and turns on the hazard lights.
So, airbags must be deployed for the ICRS to engage...

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
why would a safety feature be a bad thing? its a feature like the car shutting off and cutting the fuel supply to the engine in a accident.
im guessing you think Nissan's brake override is a bad thing too?
all depends on how you use it. The shutoff/unlock system I think is very good...if it's built right or intelligent enough to know when it's an accident and not a light tap on the front bumper. It's made by VW, so give it 5 years (or whenever the warranty runs out) and it'll start going off automatically.

I think the auto-brake/radar cruise is a very neat feature, if it works. There have been several times I've been driving with the intelligent cruise on and the sensor gets covered in goop. The car thinks there's another car ahead of me, and it jams on the brakes....in the middle of the highway. Fortunately nobody was following me when I was driving, but that's potentially dangerous. So, if the brake works the same way, then uh-oh. Normally the system is very smart and it's wonderful on a dry highway.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I should mention that I have flipped a VW onto the roof. It didn't have auto lock or unlock. The doors were unlocked when I landed on the roof. The front doors were pretty smashed, so I climbed out the back window. I went to see the car at the body shop the next day. The back door opened right up, but I couldn't get it closed again. There are retainer pins that keep the doors from popping open in an accident. They held the door closed even though the frame was very twisted. That was in 1997.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if the internet existed a few decades ago, we would have heard bighitr complaining about crumple zones.

"They're designing car frames to bend and buckle on impact?! what kind of drugs are they on?!?!"

:rolleyes:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I think the auto-brake/radar cruise is a very neat feature, if it works. There have been several times I've been driving with the intelligent cruise on and the sensor gets covered in goop. The car thinks there's another car ahead of me, and it jams on the brakes....in the middle of the highway. Fortunately nobody was following me when I was driving, but that's potentially dangerous. So, if the brake works the same way, then uh-oh. Normally the system is very smart and it's wonderful on a dry highway.
:shocked: Wow. Guess I won't tailgate you...

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I'd expect that they'd only unlock (and it's unlock not open) once the sensors that detect G forces have calmed down post crash.
Okay, if that's the case then I get it. They way the commercial sounds it's like the car unlocks the door in the middle of a rollover thus I would think leaving the possibility of the door flying open.

if the internet existed a few decades ago, we would have heard bighitr complaining about crumple zones.

"They're designing car frames to bend and buckle on impact?! what kind of drugs are they on?!?!"

:rolleyes:
I can see the negative feedback coming for this joke but you opened the door for it...

If the internet existed a few decades ago, I would have sent an email to your Mom and Dad, "Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie, I heard about this on the news tonight! PLANNED PARENTHOOD! GOOGLE THEIR WEBSITE! IT'S THE WAY TO GO!!!" :rolleyes:

I kid I kid.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
And turning off the car could also suck...

Imagine this. You are driving in traffic on the freeway. You slightly bump the guy in front of you and the car turns off. More vehicles are bearing down on you from behind... you step on the gas to get over.. Car is "off" though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can see the negative feedback coming for this joke but you opened the door for it...

If the internet existed a few decades ago, I would have sent an email to your Mom and Dad, "Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie, I heard about this on the news tonight! PLANNED PARENTHOOD! GOOGLE THEIR WEBSITE! IT'S THE WAY TO GO!!!" :rolleyes:

I kid I kid.
they wouldn't have gotten the message. just last year they upgraded from stone tablets to carrier pigeon.

I would've emailed your mom and asked her if she really thought it was cool to be hittin' the sauce while she had a bun in the oven.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
they wouldn't have gotten the message. just last year they upgraded from stone tablets to carrier pigeon.

I would've emailed your mom and asked her if she really thought it was cool to be hittin' the sauce while she had a bun in the oven.
OMG! :rofl: Jon, believe it or not I believe you and I would click well! I'm sitting here laughing my ass off at this one! I really mean it. Now THAT'S FUNNY! You're a real wise guy. That's pretty cool! I like that. Rep coming your way for this one...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
OMG! :rofl: Jon, believe it or not I believe you and I would click well! I'm sitting here laughing my ass off at this one! I really mean it. Now THAT'S FUNNY! You're a real wise guy. That's pretty cool! I like that. Rep coming your way for this one...
Someone wants to share a .......Orange Mocha Frappuccino, and take a nice long drive in a Jetta.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
For what's it's worth I've never had/seen/heard of a problem with the Unlock-crash signal or brake override on VAG cars, all brake override is doing is cancelling out any throttle inputs, (that's if we're talking about the same thing of course....) always amazed me Toyota never had this any way....

For the car to cut out it'll take a proper crash signal, ie airbags, seatbelt tensioners the lot going off, you'd be less dozed if a flash bang went off in the car, it won't cut out for a small bump.

Sandwhich, out of interest what kinda car is the adaptive cruise on?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

jonkrank=jonprank :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwhich, out of interest what kinda car is the adaptive cruise on?
It's an Infiniti FX35...and it's not like it JAMMED on the brakes like I was gonna die, but the radar cruise will actually brake if somebody in front of me slows down or pulls out in front. It normally does a VERY good job of it, to the point that this car has so many nannies that I'm afraid I'll carried away and install a playstation in it. It did, however, activate the brakes spontaneously and I lost 5-10mph when it did that. All I had to do was click cancel or hit the gas, but it was annoying and it seems to me that there should be some prevention to it (ie wiper or detector for occlusion). To be honest, I don't know whether it activated the brakes or just killed the cruise setting, but it was one of those "be careful in inclement weather" reminders.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And turning off the car could also suck...

Imagine this. You are driving in traffic on the freeway. You slightly bump the guy in front of you and the car turns off. More vehicles are bearing down on you from behind... you step on the gas to get over.. Car is "off" though.
the fuel shutoff takes a lot more than a slight bump to the bumper

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ah, I've no idea about that system, er actually that's the first time I've ever heard of said car! :redface:

Was just curious incase it was a VAG car.
haha no, I had an S6 and it was like throwing money down a hole. Bye money!

The FX has the tech package...it also has a laser guided lane departure warning...like I said, you can get so lazy with it. It'll beep if you go out of your lane, slow down if you come up on somebody....i'm surprised it doesn't have some kind of steering assist or automated roadhead attachment