Quantcast

New Voodoo...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Very nice looking bike. Looks like you could shorten the chain a bit, or maybe use a half link.

Edit: That paint is the tits.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Is that an older frame or did you just choose to not get the sliding dropout? Sweet looking ride nonetheless. I've been riding a Voodoo since '98. :thumb:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Smelly said:
you should put the chain above the roller, not below. wraps the chain a little further around the cog and it makes the roller work better as a tensioner.
My Voodoo chainstays must be an odd size. With enough chain to go around, there's too much to run the tensioner in push. I suppose I could drop a halflink and push it up, but it's finally holding solid.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
BikeGeek said:
Is that an older frame or did you just choose to not get the sliding dropout? Sweet looking ride nonetheless. I've been riding a Voodoo since '98. :thumb:
Thanks! I had been looking for a SS project and and happened across this Voodoo frame. It is one of the Taiwan frames but it's 853 Reynolds and is silly light. Price was way righteous especially considering it had never been built. I had checked on some 29ers but everything was too pricey in this neck of the woods. I ended up deciding a better build could put together going this route.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Nice bike! I think you'll enjoy the smoothness and responsiveness this bike offers. I've owned two Voodoos, a 96 Wanga and a 2000 Bizango. The Bizango, 853 steel, cracked on the top tube during a Moab trip. Fortunately, it was the end of the trip. The Wanga needs to be built back up; it's a sweeeeet ride!

Oh, and Joe Murray himself warrantied the old frame for me when he resurrected Voodoo. I spoke to him on the phone, and he told me to send the old frame and a check for cost plus 10% and shipping for the new bike. I bought a DJ frame b/c I wanted to start learning that, but I ended up selling it.

D

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
dburatti said:
The Bizango, 853 steel, cracked on the top tube during a Moab trip. Fortunately, it was the end of the trip. The Wanga needs to be built back up; it's a sweeeeet ride!

Oh, and Joe Murray himself warrantied the old frame for me when he resurrected Voodoo. I spoke to him on the phone, and he told me to send the old frame and a check for cost plus 10% and shipping for the new bike.

D

Good info, that's nice to know. I am curious how the frame will hold up to all the rocky conditions here in Phx. And Joe is just up the hill in Flagstaff as I understand it. The only ride I have been able to do is just a quick tool around the neighborhood but it feels like it will be a monster climber. Thank you- have a good weekend.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Trainwreck said:
Good info, that's nice to know. I am curious how the frame will hold up to all the rocky conditions here in Phx. And Joe is just up the hill in Flagstaff as I understand it. The only ride I have been able to do is just a quick tool around the neighborhood but it feels like it will be a monster climber. Thank you- have a good weekend.
Austin, where I live and ride, is also very rocky. Looking back, my style of riding was not the most suitable for that frame; I like to take the more challenging lines, including jumping off of things.

If your frame is like mine was, it'll climb and track easily, and the front end will come up with just a thought. Enjoy it!

D