Quantcast

new VW GTI

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Ugh. My MkIV is so much cooler.

I saw lots of MkV's in Germany this summer, they look like Hondas.

Edit: VW tends to understate performance numbers, expect it to be a little quicker than they report.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
quadricolour said:
Ugh. My MkIV is so much cooler.

I saw lots of MkV's in Germany this Summer, they look like Hondas.
perhaps cooler, but the mkIV is a bit of a porker, no? :oink: defend thy ride, and let the holy wars begin

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Yeah the lower weight will be a big advantage. My 2.8 liter VR6 is a torque monster with no lag, I would never settle for the turbo GTI. Are they gonna continue the VR6 for the MkV?

I guess my biggest complaint is really the aesthetics. I won't be buying one.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
quadricolour said:
they look like Hondas.
That new GTI looks exactly like an older (blunt-backed) Honda Civic. Not that that's terrible, but it's not as cool as previous years.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah ihear ya itd be way cooler with some spinner duds on there and one of those brrrraaaaaappppppppththththttppppppttttttttttttpopopopoppopoopoop canisters on the back.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i like Rabbits euurh i mean Golf's uerrh i mean GTI's mainly because i like cheeseball looking mini car's all souped up. Kind of like a reverse respect, i really appreciate the ride, but the exterior is just another small souped up import golf-cart lookin wannabe sports car. :D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Skookum said:
i like Rabbits euurh i mean Golf's uerrh i mean GTI's mainly because i like cheeseball looking mini car's all souped up. Kind of like a reverse respect, i really appreciate the ride, but the exterior is just another small souped up import golf-cart lookin wannabe sports car. :D
C'mon, I know your secret desire is to trick out your subie with some shiny rims and a big wing...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hey guys, now that you post this. I´ve got a problem.

Am looking for a Mk4 GTI engine. complete with gearbox if possible. in fact, if i can get a crashed GTI would be better since i need lots of parts. an 1.8T audi, or Seat Leon Cupra R would fit too.
I wonder if the VR6 might fit.

anyway, anybody knows of a junkyard up north where i can get one of those?? that could ship it to Peru????? i need one really bad. i just emailed a few junkyards in florida, but no luck yet.

help plz???? i need a VW1.8t with gearbox (or Audi or Seat), really bad.
HEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

anybody can get me a number of a good big junkyard??? preferably in Florida or California, or anywhere near a big port???

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
oh btw, those 1.8t from VW can handle amazing amounts of power. the internals are forged stock. I know a couple boosting enough to 320whp on internally stock engines relatively safe for the last year or so!!!

Aug 22, 2004
i don't like the new grill thing , but a 2.0L instead of a 1.8L,thats an improvement.my friend has one that could rip a 350hp muscle car a new ass hole. he smoked the head lights and tail lights and thats kinda importish but it looks cool. he got a boost controler and cold air intake,intercooler,turbo upgrade,andhe just had brand spankin' new BBS wheels powder coated smoke gray!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
oh btw, those 1.8t from VW can handle amazing amounts of power. the internals are forged stock. I know a couple boosting enough to 320whp on internally stock engines relatively safe for the last year or so!!!
Actually a guy in Texas was getting over 400hp in his MKIV porker.

His new engine is in a MKII and is putting out 442hp at 30lbs of boost on the stock bottom end.

Viva MKII...

Check www.vwvortex.com in the classifieds.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
Am looking for a Mk4 GTI engine. complete with gearbox if possible. in fact, if i can get a crashed GTI would be better since i need lots of parts. an 1.8T audi, or Seat Leon Cupra R would fit too.
I wonder if the VR6 might fit.
Did you check w/ 800-VW-Parts?

Also keep checking the Vortex classifieds. I know stuff pops up there all the time. I have seen a couple totaled out 20AE & GTIs auction info on the Vortex boards. Just keep your ear to the ground or post a WTB ad.

-ska todd

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
quadricolour said:
Yeah the lower weight will be a big advantage. My 2.8 liter VR6 is a torque monster with no lag, I would never settle for the turbo GTI. Are they gonna continue the VR6 for the MkV?

I guess my biggest complaint is really the aesthetics. I won't be buying one.
Lag? My friend just got a GTI less than a month ago, with the turbo and 4 cylinder. Fast little thing, but what did you mean by lag? I haven't driven it so I'm not sure what you're referring to. It actually doesn't feel quick though, but all of a sudden I glance at the speedo and the thing is haulin. Doesn't have that push-your-butt-into-your-seat kind of feeling :confused:

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
That site really does have everything...

Sometimes I get antsy and wish for one of these cars that are pretty quick with some great gas mileage. But then again, the growl and torquey feel of V8's are always fun too before you run outta gas :D

I was at a dealership lookin at the GTIs and the guy said there's no turbo in the 6 cylinder version, and that you can't put one in??? Why is that?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DLo said:

Sometimes I get antsy and wish for one of these cars that are pretty quick with some great gas mileage. But then again, the growl and torquey feel of V8's are always fun too before you run outta gas :D

I was at a dealership lookin at the GTIs and the guy said there's no turbo in the 6 cylinder version, and that you can't put one in??? Why is that?
the vr6 has no turbo, yes. why? well, it wasn't designed for one: 10.5 compression and turbo boost usually don't get along too well

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
DLo said:

well, you´ll love the mpg of those turbo 4inline when gas hits the 5 bucks a gallon like here!
its like having power on tap. while you are driving around, you get your 20mpg, but as soon as the turbo kicks in hard, and the gas gets going, your hp increase and your gas usage will only while you need it.

plus torque is not necesarilly only posible by displacement. a turbo is the same thing. once you start talking psi of boost, then cubic inches dont matter.
roughly the most torque you can get is 100Nm per liter at 1bar of air.

you can turbocharged the VR6, but it will take a good deal of work. probably its not ready to be force fed because it has a high compression.
thus, you need to lower the compression, so the engine can take the higher pressure of the force-feeding.