Quantcast

New wheel-set

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
Hey, i just bought some disc brakes and am in need of new wheels. I had mammoths on non disc lx hubs which were strong enough so i need something as strong as those for pretty cheap. What would be the cheapest way to go while still having at least mamoth strength. Its on a hardtail and no qr-20. And also, which is stronger, a rhino lite, rhino xl or mammoth. Any places with wheelsets 4 sale not used would be helpful too thanks.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
really cheap and effective disc hubs: Shimano XT disc. or if you want to go a bit cheaper, Deore disc. You should be able to get spokes of the correct length from your LBS for $36 for both wheels, and re-lace your current rims.

if you're going with new rims, i'd say the Rhyno Lite XLs.

Urban_Ryder

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
no! rhyno lite bad! they weak and flatspot easily. go with Alex DX-32s, cheap, and hella stronger! (bout $68 retail, canadian) oh, and they come in both 26''& 24''

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Gotta agree with Urban...Rhyno Lites are made of some really soft alum. I've flatspotted my rear plenty of times despite running 35psi. I also had a Rhyno lite on my trials bike but again it flatspotted too easily. a Planet X BMF is the same as the Alex and they can be bought at either www.webcyclery.com or www.trialsin.com ....OR if you want a Bomb prooof disk specific rim the Atomic Trail pimps are it...relatively heavy (aprox 900gr.) but they last.

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
I am now getting a different bike, imstead of the brute im getting an 02 VPS Drop. This bike has Sunn Singletrack rims, how do they stack up agasinst others? Oh and im not going for a 24 but it is full suspension so that should be easier on rims. Does anyone know how good single tracks are? Thanks a lot.

Chris

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I will be lacing these up next week, and let you know how they roll. They are the new freeride rim made by Sun Ringle, a very reputable rim maker. They are disc specific, 30.9mm wide, and about 590 grams. We'll see...