Quantcast

New wheels vs new bike

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I find myself debating my bikes again. I was looking at getting a new (to me) roadie via ebay, but it turned out to be a fraudulent sale, so I got out of it. Now that I've been riding the tri because the roadie doesn't fit perfectly well, I'm not sure I even need a roadie.

All of the local rides I do, I can ride just fine on the tri. I don't ride hills because I hate them and don't like riding on unprotected roads. The tri is only really limited on substantial, mountain level hills anyways.

While I doubt I will be doing another half-length or longer tri for a while, I undoubtedly will continue to do them and will do shorter lengths locally. I'm thinking maybe just keep the tri, sell the roadie, use some of the money for a nice set of China carbon wheels and a new nut saver saddle, then bank the rest.

Thoughts from those who have substantially reduced quivers? This will leave me with the tri, SB, wookie bike frame, and beater HT with no brakes. The beater HT can take both a Burley and baby seat if rd. 2 happens, and brakes are cheap.

IbSSsaysbuya27.5, monocle, tophat.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I'm down to two bikes A Roadie Colnago and a 4' travel FS trail bike..it works. If i do another tri i wll just toss on some clip on aero bars and my long nose nut saver tri saddle and slam it forward on the rails like i used to do. All the courses around here are hilly with lots of turns and are more condusive to a road bike anyways.

If you aren't going into the hills a Tri Bike that fits you well should be just fine for all your training needs

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you like the fit of the tri- bike a set of beefier wheels should be fine. I dont know if they still make them but Mavic Open Pros are a nearly bomb proof mid range wheel set. I run a set since 2001 with somewhere in the 20K for miles. My weight ranged from 165 to 185, I routinely bombed down long mountain roads at speeds over 40MPH at PSI in 180 range on skinny ass 19mm tires. I've yet to replace a spoke or need the rims trued. They have campy Chorus hubs that have been serviced twice just for maintenance. I would think a straight set of Open Pro rims on 105 or higher hubs would be a safe second hand bet.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you like the fit of the tri- bike a set of beefier wheels should be fine. I dont know if they still make them but Mavic Open Pros are a nearly bomb proof mid range wheel set. I run a set since 2001 with somewhere in the 20K for miles. My weight ranged from 165 to 185, I routinely bombed down long mountain roads at speeds over 40MPH at PSI in 180 range on skinny ass 19mm tires. I've yet to replace a spoke or need the rims trued. They have campy Chorus hubs that have been serviced twice just for maintenance. I would think a straight set of Open Pro rims on 105 or higher hubs would be a safe second hand bet.
The wheels that came on the tri are tanks. They are clearly assumed to be training wheels. The bike is a Specialized Transition Expert, so the spec is Ultegra level excluding the wheels. I was thinking a nice set of bladed spoke, 88mm rear/60mm front wheels would make for a good race set.
I'm going to chew on this for a week or two so as not to make an impulse buy, but I'm really leaning towards selling the roadie, getting wheels and some better skis, then banking the rest.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Shimano 5800 105 Hub on Mavic Open Pro Rim is on blowout pricing from QBP. $88/set. That puts it at $125 retail from most shops unless they suck. Have them trued and tensioned they should last for years if you stay on top of them. 105 hubs are bombproof and easy to maintain. 11 speed also. No skewers however.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you are a gambler... looks like ebay and paypal will back you up in case of fraud.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Ksyrium-Elite-2016-Road-Bike-Roadbike-Wheelset-Wheels-Wheelset-/262785821274

Also - since my my roadie days thinking has changed in favor of aerodynamics over light weight wheel sets. Light weight is good for fast acceleration and hill climbing however, once you are up to speed, the effort you have put out maintain that speed is impacted more by aerodynamics than by weight.

If your planned speed is in the 16 to 18 range you can significantly reduce the effort need to maintain that speed with deep rims that mirror your tire width, the aero design will more than make up the weight penalty.

Last edited: