Quantcast

New wheels

Well, looks like the rear wheel that came on my 03 trek 4900 finally yielded to all the abuse and now has a few very large dents and bends in it. So now its time to start looking for a new wheelset.

Heres what im looking at and the corresponding prices...

Shimano Deore w/ mavic x221 rims
$79.89

Shimano LX w/ Sun CR-18 rims
$74.98

Shimano LX w/ Sun Rhyno Lites
$89.98

Shimano XT w/ Rhyno lites
$129.98

Alright, so what i'm looking for is the strongest possible rim for this price range. I've heard a lot of good things about the Rhyno Lites. But I dont know anything about the hubs, whats the difference between the LX and the XT? Is it worth the price difference??

thanks for your help, any suggestions would really be appreciated.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Definitely go with the Rhino Lites, out of what you listed. If you can find a good price on Mavic X618s or F519s go for those instead, but good Mavics are pricey.

For hubs, the XTs have better seals, that's about it. For the type of riding around here, I'd say it's probably not worth it. There's not enough water to bother with.

You might wanna consider getting disc hubs though, to keep your options open for future upgrades. Once you try discs it's hard to go back....

Good point on the disc option sub. Right now i'm not sure what I want to do for my next bike. I cant decide if i want to upgrade the 4900 or just keep it until i upgrade to a FS bike somewhere down the road. The XT discs w/ rhyno lites are only like 30 dollars more, so I suppose its worth it having the option to go the disc road if i ever want too.