Quantcast

New Wheelset light and white - recommendations?

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Hey I need a new set of wheels, for an Intense Socom 150 mm rear,
I dont want to spend a fortune, Id lik to spend about $300 maybe $400 max.

Id like them to be light and have the ability to go tubelesss (stans)

Im about 210 but I dont break wheels, as not a hard rider.

I was thinking azonic Outlaws?
Im thinking white or black.
what about deetrax?

any recommendations I would really appreciate it.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
neither of the wheels you mentioned are very light. i'd suggest looking at the syncros ds28 rims and see how much it would cost for you to get them laced to a pro 2 rear hub and cheapie front one. i got a similar setup for my XC wheels and they were under $400, but it really depends on what kind of deal you can get.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have just installed a set of this Quad wheelset in the 2.7 version:

Here you can see the complete weights:

http://www.quadbrakes.com/down/HRW_cover.pdf

Its more or less the same rim as Syncros sells. The company is based out of the UK. I run them tubeless with Maxxis Minions and they feel good. I just got them but the build is solid and worth a look.

They should be price really good too.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
19's are right in his price range:disgust: But you could save more money aye, Dt Swiss 1750 very light or 19's. What about Transtions wheels not sure if they come in 150 though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I second the syncros 32's, I ran my hard for over a year and a half of stupid hard point and shoot riding and im 220lbs! Finally cased a rock on a 8' drop and it blew the rear rim apart at the welds!
Im surpirsed it lasted that long, so from personal exeprience Im ordering another set to beat on!
I rode urban (stair gaps, hucks to flat curbs etc), raced them, drops and more!
They dont dent easy either, they are 680g's though compared to like 500 for the 5.1s and they are stronger than the 5.1s by a long shot.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
. What about Transtions wheels not sure if they come in 150 though.
Yes, they are and the price is right!!!!

289 for the standard wheelset with 135 rear hub, I would Escpeculate that the 150 would be about 50 bucks more, thats the difference between there 135 and 150 hubs!!

Linky for the hub itself
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store/Store_Detail.cfm?Token={ts_2008-05-29_00:35:42}-24405189&P=454

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Syncros DS28 or Halo Freedom Disks, both the same wheel with different logo. Both white.

Lace the up to some Pro II's & they are light & cheap :)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I run Syncros DS28s and LOVE them ... those and the 32s are both available in white.

edit: I have mine laced to King hubs with DT / Comp DB spokes.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
the FR Syncros wheelset is really heavy at 2725g which is 6.0lbs.

my wheelset im building is comin in around 500 bucks but is super lite and super strong.

mavic 823's
hope pro II's
competition spokes
brass nipples.

if i remember correctly should come in about 4.7lbs. plus tubless so ill save another 1.7lbs.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
the FR Syncros wheelset is really heavy at 2725g which is 6.0lbs.

my wheelset im building is comin in around 500 bucks but is super lite and super strong.

mavic 823's
hope pro II's
competition spokes
brass nipples.

if i remember correctly should come in about 4.7lbs. plus tubless so ill save another 1.7lbs.
Hes right hoops alone are 105g lighter than the dps 32's.
DPS32 - 686g
823 - 580g

freemtnrider

Chimp
Feb 22, 2008
On the Shore by Bay
Linky for the hub itself
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store/Store_Detail.cfm?Token={ts_2008-05-29_00:35:42}-24405189&P=454
Azonic Outlaw=transitions revolution36.
they are the same. Alex Supra D rims I believe, I dont know the parent company for the Hubs, maybe formula???.

I have been running the outlaws for a few weeks now. real solid. So solid I am thinking of drilling out extra holes to cut the weight some but they are not that heavy to begin with.
The white powder coated version would be a little heavier than the anodized version but if you really need white feel free.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I was wondering who was making the wheels for Transition, Still not sure on the hubs either. Its a 22point engagement if that helps anyone figure it out. I run the revo32 myself, and yes, tough as hell. Only I built my own, I ordered up the hubs and hoops, used the black DT comp spokes I have in stock. I dig the whtie hoops, but not the fact transition built them with a red hub only!!!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Azonic Outlaw=transitions revolution36.
they are the same. Alex Supra D rims I believe, I dont know the parent company for the Hubs, maybe formula???.

I have been running the outlaws for a few weeks now. real solid. So solid I am thinking of drilling out extra holes to cut the weight some but they are not that heavy to begin with.
The white powder coated version would be a little heavier than the anodized version but if you really need white feel free.

Not the same rim, not the same hub; Nothing same at all. This ones been covered again and again.

And YES, I have both.

Outlaws
Halo
Syncros
umm.... many white rims to choose from - white hubs, not so much.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
neither of the wheels you mentioned are very light. i'd suggest looking at the syncros ds28 rims and see how much it would cost for you to get them laced to a pro 2 rear hub and cheapie front one. i got a similar setup for my XC wheels and they were under $400, but it really depends on what kind of deal you can get.
I've got Hope Pro II's laced to Syncros DS28's and like them. 2060 grams for the wheelset using straight gauge spokes and under $450 from www.dropnzone.com

I'm running them with Stans Freeride strips and DHF Minions, problem free.

What about some sun A.D.D. lites?
They aren't really that light. Heavier than my Hope/DS28 and the Ringle hub quality is questionable.

Last edited:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
i saw somewhere the azonic outlaws are the same weight as the deemax wheelset, they are cheep and good too.

I have both sets that I run on my Fezzari and both are great. You can't beat the Outlaws for the price. The Deemax's are a bit lighter despite the claims but the Azonics are no pigs either. Deemax's are tubeless which is noce but I run the Azonics ghetto tubeless and they work great.

Otherwise, the Mavics are stronger but will crack before they bend significantly, the Outlaws bend rather easily but can be bent back too.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Another vote for outlaws- though you can't run themtubeless with out rocking the ghetto 20" tube setup.

You can get them in all white, but now they have a sick anodized grey color that looks awesome.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Great information here, thanks. Hope pro II's seem to be highly recommended.
I'll probably go for the Halo Freedom Rim's as I can't seem to track down a set with Syncros DS28's
They seem to work ok with stans no tubes.